Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this has been discussed within other threads. I don't know if there is a thread dedicated specifcally to this issue. I did a couple quick searches and couldn't find one.

I just sold off my ATT locked 650 and got a Palm1 Unlocked/unbranded model from VC. The sound level at max setting is about 1/2 what the ATT model was. Same for the speaker volume from the speakerphone.

My 650 came with the 1.15 firmware and 1.06-ROW software.

So far (24hrs) I have had no lockups and 1 random reset.

Who's with me?
    My earpiece is fine at the loudest setting but could definitely be louder especially in noisy environments.

The speakerphone is essentially useless because of the lack of volume. If I'm not in a quiet room by myself, forget it, useless. Like I've stated many times before, disappointing for a $600 phone. I'm willing to look past this though because of all the other cool-dude things this sucker can do.

*edit - 1.14 firmware and 1.06-ROW software for me
    1 | 2
  3.    #3  
    Well ... "fine at the loudest setting" is very subjective. Mine is 1/2 of what it was on my ATT locked 650. I have some hearing loss so the ATT model was acceptable. This one isn't. I don't care about the speakerphone, it's the earpiece I'm concerned with.

On the Palm One non-support board, the palm guy stated:
    First, all the calling volumes on the Treo 650 are lower than most other phones. With that said, make sure you have turned the speakerphone volume up as high as it will go. To do that, do this:
    1) When in a call, select speakerphone.
    2) Push the top side rocker button up until all bars on the "volume" dialog turn black
    3) Then (and this is essential) push the side button (the one by itself) on the side of the phone to confirm your volume change and retain that setting.
    If your device is reset a few times, the phone may revert to the default (lower) volume levels, so watch for that if it seems quiet.
    ROTFLMFAO, So his fix was "if the volume is too low, turn it up." Of course he has no clue, aside from the fact the volume keeps reverting back 2 notches whether I push the side button or not. What a doofus.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 03/12/2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spllung errir
    MisterEd, I'm interested to see if your new unlocked version has less issues than those with the older firmware. I have firmware 1.14 and Software 1.05 and am having random resets and connection issues to the GPRS network.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    this is so strange. I just yesterday another unlocked 650 and the firmware is 1.14. It just doesn't make sense how they ship some with 1.15 and others with 1.14. btw, mine was DOA. it locks up every 30sec.
    I think we need to include if we have a Gemplus or "A" card. Since i have traded in the Gemplus for the "A" SIM, I have had way less softrests & lockups.

Firmware: 01.14 Treo650-1.05-ROW Hardware: A

I had the Cingular with a lower firmware number, sorry I don't recall the number and the volume was the same slightly too low for me on the handset and decent on speakerphone.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Well ... "fine at the loudest setting" is very subjective. Mine is 1/2 of what it was on my ATT locked 650. I have some hearing loss so the ATT model was acceptable. This one isn't. I don't care about the speakerphone, it's the earpiece I'm concerned with.

On the Palm One non-support board, the palm guy stated: ROTFLMFAO, So his fix was "if the volume is too low, turn it up." Of course he has no clue, aside from the fact the volume keeps reverting back 2 notches whether puah the side button or not. What a doofus.

I should clarify that it's fine for me because that's the normal volume I'd have it at...however, it shouldn't have to be at the highest volume setting to be at my normal listening level.

Also, I agree, pushing the side key doesn't permanently keep the volume at the highest setting. For me, it continually resets 2 notches down...
    1 | 2
  8.    #8  
    Guys ... I thought this was the "earpiece volume" issue thread. Now we're going off on other tangents.

MacUser .... I am on ATT. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $ATT$ $SIMS$ $didn$'$t$ $have$ $that$ $issue$.
    Koolio: I had one random reset (that I noticed) so far. It was right after I updated some software.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have earpiece volume issues with my Cingular 650 too. From reading through different threads on this, there does not seem to be a pattern in what treos are affected(gsm/cdma, locked/unlocked). My guess is that those with this problem have a faulty earpiece speaker.

For that reason, I think I am going to exchange my treo. I'm still not 100% decided because my worry is that the issue won't be resolved and that I'll also start having random resets too!
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    My guess is that those with this problem have a faulty earpiece speaker. (
    Do you really think it's just the speaker? That would make me 0/2 with earpiece speakers then I was hoping there would be some sort of ROM update to fix the problem.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  11.    #11  
    Not a chance. First of all, it effects the earpiece speaker and the speakerphone speaker. Second, other system sounds (rings, warnings etc) are very loud out of the speakerphone speaker just the phone volume is down. Third, Palm admits there is a problem. They have a (non)support board where the Palm guy stated "First, all the calling volumes on the Treo 650 are lower than most other phones. With that said, make sure you have turned the speakerphone volume up as high as it will go." Basically he said to fix the problem you need to turn up the volume!! I believe it's a problem that can be fixed with firmware. Motorola had a similar problem with their V710. Ultimately they called them all back. Verizon replaced tens of thousands of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    My guess is that those with this problem have a faulty earpiece speaker.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 03/13/2005 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Spulling Errir
    Same issues as everyone here.

-Earpiece volume is WAY too low (even at highest setting).
    -Earpiece vol. resets itself to lower settings.
    -Speaker vol. in back is too low to adequately use to listen/converse.

oh yeah,
    and random reset at no extra charge of course...
    Have you guys tried Seido 2 in 1 adapters where you plug in your own earphones.....I have it....on my treo 650 unlocked....and with that on max volume..it HURTS my ears it is so loud.
    I have gone through 2 unlocked T650 and one Cingular T650. Both unlocked ones had low volume, high hiss while the Cingular one had good volume, low hiss.

Kept the Cingular and am happy with it. Have an "A" SIM and have had 3 days without a reset. Those with unlocked ones and low volumes if you have access to a Cingular store with a demo unit (and you have Cingular service) try it out to see if the Cingular branded is louder for you.
    Mine is low too -earpiece volume - I hate using earplugs....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    My firmware is: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG
    Hardware: A

Is there anyway to upgrade firmware or are we stuck with what we got?

I don't notice any sound problems though. Actually I keep mine 2 notches down from full and the speaker phone is ok.
    if mine were loud enough I wouldn't change firmware no matter what the version.

Todd/Indy
    Waited 4 months for my unlocked GSM 650.
    firmware 01.15
    software 1.06-row
    hardware A

issues:

Very low recieving and sending calls
    So low i can't even hear my voice mail if I check it outside
    Speaker phone echo- this has been so bad a client wanted me to call back on a land line! I can try to rationalize this all I want because of how I love the phone.
    But problems for clients is not gonna fly...

If anyone has any fix, for this I have tried the mute button, I have turned everything up as high as it would go and set the little button. I have done a soft and a system reset.

I think I have the latest firmware, so do you think I should send it back?

all constructive comments welcome....
    I returned my treo 650 (GSM unlocked) because of frequent resets and very low volume with earphone. I got a new one. Resets solves (no reset in 2 weeks). The telephone part is the problem. It is NOT a speaker problem as the speaker is just fine and loud when listening to music or playing games. It is apparently a software issue with the telephone part of the device. My 2sd Treo has the same sound problems as the first one: speakerphone so low that it is unusable, earphone very poor and if put at the last level I can hear noise (it only works well at level 3 or 4 but in this case it is way too low!). I am quite frustrated with the poor sound quality and i have spoken to 3-4 Palm1 technicians about it. They all pretend it is the first time they hear about this issue and offer to replace my unit. I suspect (and hope) we will just get a patch out of the blues when it will be ready. In the meantime Palm1 will not admit anything!!!!!!
  20.    #20  
    That doesn't solve the problem, it only bypasses it and makes it more inconvenient. Why would I want to spend $700 for a phone and have to use a headset to be able to hear it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    Have you guys tried Seido 2 in 1 adapters where you plug in your own earphones.....I have it....on my treo 650 unlocked....and with that on max volume..it HURTS my ears it is so loud.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast