Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I have headphone static on my Treo 650. Apparently a number of other Treo 650 owners do, too. When listening to music (or anything) with a PalmOne stereo headphone adapter I get static (mostly in the left channel) if the headset adapter moves slightly. When walking with a Treo 650, it's very easy jar the headset adapter. This happens with any stereo headphone.

The problem seems to be greatly diminished when using a Seido headset adapter.

This is, of course, very annoying, especially since one of my main uses for my Treo 650 is as an MP3 player.

I'm wondering how universal this problem is. Does anyone not have this problem of static using a PalmOne stereo headset adapter? Clearly, the headset jack on my Treo 650 --and other Treo 650s-- is flawed. But is this static problem universal? In other words, is it even worth bothering to try and exchange my Treo 650?

--Bill
    I would suggest getting the 650 hybrid headset.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    You should exchange the Treo. My headset jack went bad, replaced the Treo, all was fine. Make sure you use a Treo adapter, not the radioshack one or use a hybrid headset.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    You should exchange the Treo. My headset jack went bad, replaced the Treo, all was fine. Make sure you use a Treo adapter, not the radioshack one or use a hybrid headset.
    Thanks. I'll call PalmOne on Monday. What I wanted to determine is whether or not this problem was universal --with nothing I can do-- or I was just unlucky with my Treo 650.

I have three PalmOne headphone adapters and get static with all of them. (Though, as I mentioned, much less so with the Seido stereo headphone adpater.)

It seems that there are static-free Treos out there.
    I posted on how to clean it. Also, the profile of the pa1mOne headset plug can interfere with the Treo case. You can file that down to help.

Tom
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    I posted on how to clean it. Also, the profile of the pa1mOne headset plug can interfere with the Treo case. You can file that down to help.

Tom
    Do you mean that the problem is really with the plug and not the Treo 650 itself? (Which would save me from dealing with a return/exchange.)

--Bill
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    A followup: I just tested the headset that comes with the Treo 650 -- it is very noisy. I hear a lot of static through it, which I guess means that my Treo 650 is defective. (Though oddly, the Seido headset adapter sound okay.)

--Bill
    In my particular case, the profile of the insulator on the hybrid headset interfered with the Treo 650 case, causing static. After cutting down the insulator, it no longer interfered and the static went away.

It's worth a look before sending the Treo back.

Tom
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    In my particular case, the profile of the insulator on the hybrid headset interfered with the Treo 650 case, causing static. After cutting down the insulator, it no longer interfered and the static went away.

It's worth a look before sending the Treo back.

Tom
    Is it that the plug doesn't go far enough into the headphone jack?

I just tried trimming the insulator on the PalmOne headset adapter: I'm still getting static when the adapter moves. I trimmed the part of the headset adapter that goes into the Treo 650.

--Bill
    Last edited by badler; 03/13/2005 at 07:51 PM.
    I also cleaned the plug and socket with DeoxIT. Basically, wipe it on the plug, wipe it off, put it in the Treo, spin it around.

But, you mention the adapter. It might be so big that it wobbles in the socket.

Tom
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I also cleaned the plug and socket with DeoxIT. Basically, wipe it on the plug, wipe it off, put it in the Treo, spin it around.

But, you mention the adapter. It might be so big that it wobbles in the socket.

Tom
    Thanks. Better living through chemistry! I picked up some DeoxIT at Radio Shack. It definitely made a difference -- after two shots applications of DeoxIT the static is definitely reduced, but was still there. I've now now done three applications, followed by an application of ProGold (which came with the DeoxIT kit) and the static appears to be gone with the OEM headset, but is still there with the headset adapter (although greatly diminished.).

Do you have any guess about how long the DeoxIt application lasts. Do you know if it is something I'll need to do more than once, assuming that I can finally get the headset adapter to be static-free with movement.

--Bill
    Last edited by badler; 03/14/2005 at 11:59 AM.
    I am having that same problem too where I would get a slight static pop every 3-4 seconds...kinda annoying with slower, lower tone songs. I will try the hybrid one at home to see if it does the same. I am using the Treo adapter now and have had no problems on my old Treo 600. I would hate to send this one back as I use it alot as a MP3 player.
    I'm getting the same problem as well.
    I'm using the Treo adapter.
    A lot of static when walking, with the left headphone often cutting out.
    I'm going to try some DeoxIt today...

I'd really hate to send it back as well.

BTW, what do you need to send it back. Will I need the receipt?

Thank!
    I got mine at Vienna Channels so they do a straight swap as they have all my info in their system.
    DeoxIT leaves a film behind so it should last a while.

Make sure you use the absolute least amount you can and NEVER spray anything into the socket! More is definitely not better in this case. Apply it to the plug only, wipe it off, then insert plug into socket and spin it back and forth.

Tom
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    DeoxIT leaves a film behind so it should last a while.

Make sure you use the absolute least amount you can and NEVER spray anything into the socket! More is definitely not better in this case. Apply it to the plug only, wipe it off, then insert plug into socket and spin it back and forth.

Tom

Thanks again. Although DeoxIT reduced the static, it didn't eliminate it. So I decided to exchange my Treo 650 for a new one, and I just finished doing that with PalmOne.

I thought I would relate my tech support and customer service notes, in case anyone else goes through this.

The first tech support person I talked with asked a lot of questions, including, "Did you do a hard reset?" (Often a clue that this particular conversation may not be fruitful.) After over-the-phone diagnosis, she concluded that I needed a new headset adapter. I protested, but that was all she was willing to do, even after I said that I actually have 5 PalmOne headset adapters and they all have this problem -- and that the Treo's own headset has this problem. I think, perhaps, the tech's reluctance to give me a better solution has to do with the fact that I'm already on my 2nd Treo 650. (The first had a broken 4-key.)

I called tech support back. She put me on hold for a bit while she conferred with somebody else. When she came back on the phone, the tech had me test three different headsets, and when I reported that all three had static when wiggled, she diagnosed the problem as a broken or loose headset jack.

My next call: The PalmOne store.

Customer service at the PalmOne store also had a problem with the fact that this was my second Treo 650. They would not to an advance exchange -- ship me a new Treo 650 and then I could ship my broken one back. They won't do that kind of exchange for a 3rd Treo 650. So I said, how about if I just send this one back and buy a new one. That's fine, I was told. But there was a problem: The price, as TreoCentral folks know, has gone up $100 since PalmOne first started selling unlocked GSM Treo 650s. To Palm's credit, they said that they would credit me an extra $100 when they received my broken Treo back.

All in all, the whole matter took 2 hours. It would have been much faster if this was my first Treo 650 (and I wish it had been!) Meanwhile, I have my fingers crossed that my new Treo 650's headphone jack is a-okay.

--Bill
    Have we concluded that this is definitely a hardware problem and that any available firmware updates won't solve? I would like to exhaust all my options before I think about sending it back.
    That's sounds like a real frustrating pain going through all that.

Well, my turn next (unless there's a fix out there?)...

I'm still on my first 650, so hopefully things will go more smoothly.
    Well, I found an interesting oddity on this whole static situation. I went to RadioShack after work today and got the DeoxIT and a stereo headphone adapter just to test. I pulled out the new adapter just to test for my long trek home on the bus. It worked great for about 3-4 songs before it started the static popping again. It was much worse then before. So the whole theory of my Treo adapter and my headphones being the problem went out the door. This is when it gets interesting...I am home in my office now and I am getting ready to put the DeoxIT on when I wanted to test the adapters again. Well, I have been testing it for for over an hour and no static. Strange...the only thing different is 1) I listen on the bus (the majority of the time I listen to my mp3) and 2) I listen to it on my leather shoulder bag. Then I remember reading this on the PalmOne Knowledgebase:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(34251),ts=Palm_External2001

An exerpt:

"Remove the handset from any bag or briefcase (Note: This is less of a problem if the bag is canvas. Leather and metal bags/briefcases cause the most problems)"

Huh? Is this the culprit? My leather bag? I just tested 3 adapters including my hybrid one and no static! Is this the strangest theory or what...right now I feel as though I shouldn't mess with ther DeoxIT until I know for sure if it is my bag or the bus I am riding on!

Hmmmm...anyone can beat this theory down?
    I can believe it. The 2.5mm plug is very small, and the adapters are comparitively large. This is why I suspect that that you'll see more problems with adapters than with hybrid headsets that have a 2.5mm plug to start with.

I don't know if anyone currently makes them, but a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter with a piece of wire between would probably work best. The less weight hanging from that socket, the better.

Tom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast