Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    What I wonder is how pervasive this problem is: Like many Treo 650 users, I've owned a large number of audio devices (MP3 players, radios, a Treo 600). I've never had a faulty headphone jack in any audio device I've owned. The audio/headphone jack on my Treo 600 was perfect, as it seems to have been for everyone else.

But the broken headphone jack in the Treo 650 seems to be more than a rare problem.
    Well after testing this static issue for several days, I found out that the static doesn't pop up when I start it for about an hour or 2. When you do jar the headset adapter, it starts slowly until it pops quite noticeably in both ears. I doesn't disappear no matter how you play around with the adapter or headphones. I find the Treo headset adapter to be quite flimsy because of the strange shape and size. It move too easily in the hands and definitely in the pockets. I need a different headset with a mic anyways so I might try the Seidio 2 in 1 headset (the one that allows your own headphones).

For all those with the DeoxIT or the Seidio adapter solution, has it worked any better or fixed it completely?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    NO STATIC! My third Treo 650 just arrived, and it's static-free with the PalmOne stereo headset adapter.

--Bill
    Just for a test, can you try to move the headset adapter a few times and see if there is any static. I notice I can't recreate this static issue as it appears randomly, even after moving the adapter around. It is a strange phenomena. This is my second Treo but I noticed the same problem with the first one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by badler
    NO STATIC! My third Treo 650 just arrived, and it's static-free with the PalmOne stereo headset adapter.

--Bill
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    Just for a test, can you try to move the headset adapter a few times and see if there is any static. I notice I can't recreate this static issue as it appears randomly, even after moving the adapter around. It is a strange phenomena. This is my second Treo but I noticed the same problem with the first one as well.
    I wiggled several PalmOne headset adapters, rotating them around, and there is zero static with my new Treo 650.

I hesitate to theorize about the cause, but it does seem pretty clear that some Treo 650s have a defective headset jack. I wonder if PalmOne has listed this as "known issue."

--Bill
    I've been having problems with static and only sound coming out of the right headphone, unless I wiggle the adapter around. But the sightest bump will knock it back to mono.
    First trip to the Sprint store and they told me it was the headphones that were the problem.
    The second trip to the Sprint store, after I'd told them I get the same problem on a bunch of different headphones, and they told me it was the adapter's fault. I told him that this is the Treo adapter and that it works on everyone else's Treo. He said that he had done some tests and found that his 2.5mm headphones work (i.e. without the adapter) on my Treo. So he said that there's no problem with the headphone jack in the phone.

Not sure what to do now. I guess I'll try out some 2.5mm headphones and see if he's right. I was positive it was the headphone jack that was the problem, since I get exactly the same problem with the Radio Shack adapter I have as well.

Is anyone else out there actually having problems with the Treo adapter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Treo
    I've been having problems with static and only sound coming out of the right headphone, unless I wiggle the adapter around. But the sightest bump will knock it back to mono.
    First trip to the Sprint store and they told me it was the headphones that were the problem.
    The second trip to the Sprint store, after I'd told them I get the same problem on a bunch of different headphones, and they told me it was the adapter's fault. I told him that this is the Treo adapter and that it works on everyone else's Treo. He said that he had done some tests and found that his 2.5mm headphones work (i.e. without the adapter) on my Treo. So he said that there's no problem with the headphone jack in the phone.

Not sure what to do now. I guess I'll try out some 2.5mm headphones and see if he's right. I was positive it was the headphone jack that was the problem, since I get exactly the same problem with the Radio Shack adapter I have as well.

Is anyone else out there actually having problems with the Treo adapter?
    I only get static when I move the Palm One adapter. If I keep it still, I receive no static. If I move it in any direction, I get static.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Mine was exhibiting many of the same symptoms. I'm using the Seido Hybrid adapter. It sounded as if it were not making a good connection. Pushing in on the adapter gave me a good connection - no static. But if I took the pressure off and the adapter moved in any way - bad connection. So I licked the adapter - problem solved. No pressure needed. No static. Good connection. Can someone else try this to see if it solves their problems. Seems to easy.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I'd be willing to bet that the prongs inside the receptacle are being spread and not returning to their original position. That would be why the spray works to a degree and so does licking the adapter. You are adding a thin layer that conducts the electrical signal. This simply is not as robust as the receptacle in the 600. I'm having all sorts of problems with the signal cutting out on mine. Maybe P1 figured since EVRYONE would be using bluetooth that they so graciously gave us, we wouldn't really need the earpiece plug - failing to remember that they included an MP3 player, but no way to play IT through BT!! I'm trying to decide whether to call P1 and try for advanced replacement or go to Cingular and deal with their reps who have no real knowledge or ability to problem solve without their sheet of requisite q&a that have no bearing on the issue. Guess I'll call P1 since I never could get my numbers to work on their website so I could get my 128 card. I'll just deal with both issues with one call. Good thing I have a speaker phone at work!! :-)
    Sorry if most of this had no real relevance, I just felt like *itching for a few.
    Vince
    Interesting tactic licking you're adapter I'll try it as well.

Any thoughts one why the 2.5 headphones might work (according to the Sprint guy), but not the 2 regular headphones I tried with the Treo adapter. As I said, the Sprint guy said nothing's wrong with my phone at all (i.e "you're NOT getting a replacement!") and that it's the Treo adapter's fault.
    The adapter might not be made to the same spec and profile, and its mass is a lot LOT more, so it will wobble in the socket a lot easier.

Tom
    same issues here.. what do you need to RMA your treo back to palm one.

i only saved the IMEI and SN and PN from the box (The sticker with everything) and a few other accesories. can i still rma it?
    I took my 650 to a different Sprint store and showed them the problem with my headphone jack. I proved to them it was my phone and not the adapter or headphones. They said they'd replace the phone this one time since it's new, but that it was a "wear and tear" issue, which isn't covered in the warranty. So, next time they won't be replacing it.
    Anyway, I'm glad I'm getting a replacement, but wear and tear after only 3 months???
    Hellow fellow left-ear-static sufferers. My static started two weeks ago, got progressively worse, and now I no longer get sound in the left ear unless I push/bend the PalmOne adapter.

Has anyone opened up their Treo? I hate doing that, but I also hate the idea of sending my Treo back. ;-(
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Sounds like there may be more than one problem here - defective jacks AND defective headsets/adapters.

The headset that came with my 650 was terrible, static when rotated in the jack as stated by others. i tried a cheap Motorola headset, and there was no problem. I've now got a Seidio stereo adapter/mic, and it's absolutely fine.

Here's hoping the problem won't come back over time...
    Gav
    -------
    Palm V -> Vx -> Tungsten|T -> Treo650
    Hi,
    I called PalmOne, since I purchased my Treo directly from them, but they said I needed to call Sprint, so I called them, and after being disconnected by "Claire" several times, I got through to a rep, who put me through to sales, who said I could only buy a new phone, then he put me through to another techie, who said I had to go to a Sprint store.

So...
    1. Should I just try to open my Treo and poke around (not especially handy, but not an ***** either)? I bought a T-6 torq bit, but evidently I need a T-5. Grrrr. Not my day (and I realize this will void the warrantee). Also, if you open the battery compartment, you can actually see through the headphone jack. I can see one little connector... Hmmm. May be able to do something. What should I see?
    2. If I send my Treo back, will I get a refurbed one back?
    3. Do I really need all my original stuff to send back the phone? What if I show up in person at the store.

I miss my tunes...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Well folks, add me to the list. My Treo 650 has the same stereo jack problem. No matter what I do only the right side provides sound. Wiggling provides some hope. Holding the jack in just the right position provides stereo as long as the position can be maintained. Sadly, Deoxit and ProGold have not solved the problem for me. I also tried blowing "Dust Off" compressed air into the jack hole. The headset that I have been using is the Seido combo headset which has been nice.

So, after trying all of the above, it was off to the Sprint store with printouts from this forum, all my headsets, and my old Palm adapter. Unfortunately, the clerks at this Sprint store didn't even know what a Treo 650 was. One clerk tried to hand the Treo back to me with the mono earpiece and stated that this is what I should be using. That did it - blood pressure up. I firmly explained that the Treo 650 was a multipurpose converged device. I ended up talking with the assistant manager; unfortunately, he wasn't much help either. This Sprint store wouldn't even read the forum posts.

I'm a bit envious that some of the postings stated that their Sprint store ordered a new phone for them or that Palm sent them a new one. Well, thanks to my $5.00 monthly replacement plan and shelling out an additional $50.00 there's a Treo 650 being sent. Another surprise was the $50.00. The Sprint contract also states $10.00 for defective Treo but guess what? Sprint's subcontractor "Lockline" doesn't honor the $10.00 clause.

For those who successfully called Palm, could you post that number. I've tried using the Palm website to address this problem but got directed to the Sprint website which prompted my visit to the Sprint store.

Well the new Treo 650 is on it's way but I wonder if it will be new or refurbished. Just the same I wonder how long before the jack has the same problem.

I used to really like my Treo 650. I use it for anything I can think of. The people at work are amazed. Well, not being able to listen to music on my Treo 650 on my train ride to work is a real let down.
    The good news for me was that my Sprint store took in my bad Treo, ordered a new one, and 3 days later I was all set. No money, nothing. They were pretty good, and the new Treo even had the latest firmware.

The bad news is that I probably got a refurbished unit, and in any case, this new unit lost sound again in about 3 months. I can't make up my mind if I should try for another unit, or just crack it open and push the connectors together or something to improve the sound in the left ear.

I think the real problem is the stupid right-angle for the adapter. If it is in the Treo, it tends to put pressure on the internal stuff, and eventually it is pushed out of position. At least, that is my guess.

Anyway, if you can do it via Sprint, your chances are good for a replacement, but if not, you probably can pester Palm to replace this unit, as this most definately is a defect.
    KA1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12