Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    In the article on this site released on Thursday, titled "Will the multimedia Treo ever exist?" it says that “PalmOne does not even bundle a video player with the Treo.” This is absolutely not true! The Treo 650 comes with a video player that plays not only the files recorded on it, but also plays regular .mpg movies. It’s been able to play every .mpg file that I’ve thrown at it! I’ve downloaded several music videos from file sharing programs and loaded them on my SD card (via an SD card reader), then stuck the SD card in my Treo and was able to play the content straight away with the built in video player on the Treo… nothing extra!

Maybe the author (and other people here) didn’t know the Treo comes with a video player, but it does! Not only this, but if you’re using the “palmOne Quick Install” software you can drag and drop a file onto your card through there, and it will automatically convert the file to a smaller size for you! I think it reduces the resolution and the audio frequency, and maybe the frame rate as well. One down side of this conversion is that the audio quality suffers a little too much for my own tastes. But if you don’t like the way it converts, you can just put it straight onto your Treo via an SD card reader (as previously mentioned) or download it to the Treo in a different way. The video player built into the Treo works great for me! I just thought people here should know this.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle..
    You get the find of the year award...nice tinkering!!
    You get a Kudo....and a cookie too

I thought/assumed that it only played .3g2 files..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    In the article on this site released on Thursday, titled "Will the multimedia Treo ever exist?" it says that “PalmOne does not even bundle a video player with the Treo.” This is absolutely not true! The Treo 650 comes with a video player that plays not only the files recorded on it, but also plays regular .mpg movies. It’s been able to play every .mpg file that I’ve thrown at it! I’ve downloaded several music videos from file sharing programs and loaded them on my SD card (via an SD card reader), then stuck the SD card in my Treo and was able to play the content straight away with the built in video player on the Treo… nothing extra!

Maybe the author (and other people here) didn’t know the Treo comes with a video player, but it does! Not only this, but if you’re using the “palmOne Quick Install” software you can drag and drop a file onto your card through there, and it will automatically convert the file to a smaller size for you! I think it reduces the resolution and the audio frequency, and maybe the frame rate as well. One down side of this conversion is that the audio quality suffers a little too much for my own tastes. But if you don’t like the way it converts, you can just put it straight onto your Treo via an SD card reader (as previously mentioned) or download it to the Treo in a different way. The video player built into the Treo works great for me! I just thought people here should know this.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 03/12/2005 at 03:51 PM.
    ROTFLMAO..
    I am watching a Wallace & Gromit clip on ye ole treo..
    Thanks again!
    yea- but you have that annoying bar at the bottom- how do you get rid of that?

-ps- this is absolutely one of the coolest finds i've seen lately. something so simple that so many of us overlooked!
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Where do you find the program that plays video files at is it on the CD?
    this was mentioned before. this had me a little confused in the article, but was too lazy to search.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    The program is the Pics&Videos application, the same one you use to view your recorded video clips and pictures.

I don't think there is a way to get rid of the bar at the bottom. It would just be a blank space even if it did, cause the picture isn't going to change it's ratio...

By the way, the directory to put files in on your SD card to get them to show up in your album is the "DCIM" directory. The same directory as your pics and recorded videos.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Man I found this out when the 650 first came out!! No one listened to me so this yahoo gets the credit?! ;-). Anyway, I think the advantage of using mmplayer or kinoma is it plays divix, avi & all these other formats which the Treo camera app won't. But my question is what format does most movie content come in. Especially stuff "downloaded" ahem...
    so how do I download files to view on it Im very new to this
    Is it possible to use this App on a 600 ?!?!?!
    probably not- but i can check on monday- i've got 650s and 600s i can test with at work
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Sweet. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hmmm, while trying to install a *.avi, I keep getting a message that I need to install Windows Media Player 9 from the CD. However, I already have WMP 10 installed. Am I outta luck?
    Thank You Jacob! I just wished you posted this two days ago. I just bought the Kinoma Producer 3 and Player. The Treo player would have been acceptable for me even though the screen is smaller.

Much simpler, no conversions required from my EyeTV files. Wow. Gotta watch the file size though. I compared a clip I did with Kinoma. The 9:29 minute uncompressed file was 189 megs vs. 34 megs on the Kinoma.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    This is not really a built-in apps tip but it shows how to reveal the possibilities of the 650. i.e. what filetypes are handled by the 650 and where files need to be stored to take advantage. There are two applications that help to reveal this information (both read the Unsaved Preferences file AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK):
    PalmInternals http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?f...=1&prodID=46801
    and even better:
    DefaultDirs - http://www.chocopoolp.com/others.html. You need an SD/MMC card inserted for this to work.

DefaultDir reveals that the Treo 650 handles these extensions:
    .qt - quicktime movies
    .rm, .ra, .rms, .rax and .rnj - Real Media
    .mpeg, .mpg, .avi, .mov, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .tiff, .gif, .bmp, .rle
    .wav, .mp2, .mp3, (.ogg if you have pTunes installed)
    .pqa - why even bother with palm.net gone?
    .prc and .pdb - obviously
    .asf, .dib, .jif, .jpe, .mpa, .mpe, .mv1
    A few audio oddities - .plm, .pom, .sa1, .sp1, .tkm
    mpeg video formats: .3gp, .3g2

i tried to play an avi file and no go! it said it was to big. i thought i read somewhere that it wont play things over a certain file size (i.e. whole movies)

maybe this will help someone else
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    So kinoma is the way to go ?
    While the Treo 650 does include a video player, its quality is substandard for movie viewing IMO. The two main faults are that it doesn't play true mp4 quality movies and if you answer a call, it jumps back to the beginning of the movie when you return. When I play the same movie on Kinoma using mp4 the quality is far superior (not as much pixelation and AAC sound) and it keeps its place when I return to the movie from phone or any other application.
    I loaded a movie to the sd card and it only plays about 12 seconds of the movie, any suggestions? Thanks in Advance
  19. m99
    I've got the GSM 650 and I cannot get it to play video's copied to the SD card using a card reader. I add them to the DCIM directory but they just dont show up in the camera app. I can add them using the desktop tool, slow as can be but it works then. Any thoughts?
    <b>T650-Cingular</b>
    That's great -- I can't believe so many of us didn't know this. Thanks
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast