1.    #1  
    I do not Hotsync nearly as often as I should. Usually about two or three times in a six month period. Everytime I do I mean to come on these boards and ask this but I always forget. Any contact I have deleted since the last Hotsync is put back, and many contacts that were not deleted wind up with a duplicate entry, sometimes with very old data (i.e. out of date phone numbers, addresses, etc.) I know this must be a 650 problem, and has probably been covered before, but I did a search and nothing is coming up. If someone knows how to stop this please help. If you know of the thread with those answers please post the link. It's getting very old deleting old contacts each time I hotsync (I'm starting to do that more diligently now).
    Thanks.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    You shoul have a hotsync log somewhere. In there it usually indicates what is going on.

The problem you have with duplicates probably has to do with the time difference between syncs. In that time if you touch the data in a contact on the desktop and handheld it can cause a conflict. THe typical resolution (which you can change) is to duplicate if changed in both places.

Not sure why the deletes are coming back but syncing more frequently should help.
    You might also want to try Undupe, I've had duplicate entries when I used to sync with Outlook, so now I only use Palm Desktop. But this app works great.

http://www.stevenscreek.com/palm/undupe.html
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    One other reason *I think* I have found is having contacts stored on your SIM. You hotsync with the desktop and SIM contacts are placed into your desktop database. You hotsync again later and they are placed in to memory on your handheld. You hotsync again and now you have dupes on your desktop and handheld. I say *I think* this has been what has happened when I have had dupes. I haven't had any dupes since erasing the SIM database. OR - There is a possibility I could just be wrong. Can anyone confirm?
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I figured the "Syncing Gods" were going to get angry with me if I didn't start doing it more often. I just haven't been doing it that often. What's weird is the "specific-ness" of the contacts it chooses to duplicate. It doesn't do them ALL (my memory being what it is on the 650 it would probably explode if it did), but it does seem like it does the ones that are the hardest to track, i.e. a contact whose numbers have changed and it puts a dup of the old info along with leaving the new info, and I can't ever remember which one to delete.
    It'll be fun.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    One other reason *I think* I have found is having contacts stored on your SIM. You hotsync with the desktop and SIM contacts are placed into your desktop database. You hotsync again later and they are placed in to memory on your handheld. You hotsync again and now you have dupes on your desktop and handheld. I say *I think* this has been what has happened when I have had dupes. I haven't had any dupes since erasing the SIM database. OR - There is a possibility I could just be wrong. Can anyone confirm?
    I don't use a SIM (Heaven forbid! Strictly a CDMA user here! ), thanks though!
    It'll be fun.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ
    You might also want to try Undupe, I've had duplicate entries when I used to sync with Outlook, so now I only use Palm Desktop. But this app works great.

http://www.stevenscreek.com/palm/undupe.html
    ...my only problem is that some of the "dups" have old contact info, some new. This seems to be the "majority" of the dups, so I'm not sure this program would help much. What I'd really like to do is figure out the "why" and stop it. Syncing with just Palm desktop is, unfortunately, not an option for me. Gotta have Outlook. Any other suggestions?
    It'll be fun.
    Why not adjust the conduit for backing up Contacts to say handheld wins in case of duplicates?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  9.    #9  
    You, my friend, are probably a genius. I THOUGHT I'd done that when I set it up, but now that you mention it I haven't actually CHECKED to see if this is the case, and it doesn't sound like it is, does it? Thanks man.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...my only problem is that some of the "dups" have old contact info, some new. This seems to be the "majority" of the dups, so I'm not sure this program would help much. What I'd really like to do is figure out the "why" and stop it. Syncing with just Palm desktop is, unfortunately, not an option for me. Gotta have Outlook. Any other suggestions?
    For sure...if you change something on the Treo AND in Outlook in between synchs, the Hotsynch software creates duplicates (one with the Treo info, and one with the Outlook info) on both sides. If you look in the hotsynch log (usually you can access that by right-clicking on the Hotsynch manager icon in your toolbar at the bottom right, and choosing "Log"), you'll see all the errors from the various hotsynchs, and it will tell you which databases had errors (contacts, calendar, etc.). The real solution is to hotsynch more often. Because, if you use BOTH Outlook and the Treo database, you may not want to have one over-write the other automatically...the wrong one may over-write!
    DHart,

How did you access and erase the contacts in the sim?...I have the unlocked Gsm...

Thanks
    SIM Phonebook on your treo.