1.    #1  
    I've tried searching for an answer to this on Treo Central and the Palm Knowledge Libary. My wife uses a Palm Vx. I now have a 650. I'm installing both of them on a new PC that runs XP for Home. I want to know if there's going to be a problem once I install the second one (of course the 650 is going on first). The Vx will be connected via serial port and the 650 via USB.

The only info I've tracked down that's on point is from the Knowledge Library. They have an entry that suggests that things will work fine if I set up her Vx under her user name on XP and set up my 650 under my user name on XP. Does that sound right to the rest of you? Has anyone done something like this? I'm as new to XP as I am to the 650 and don't want to goof things up by installing two Palm OSs on same PC. Thanks for the help.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    That is supposed to work fine.
    I am suffering through the same dilemma. If I do a hard reset of the Vx (to change the user name), does the Vx need its own desktop software to sync, or can it sync through the 650's desktop software? Also, can I get the 650's address book onto the Vx after the hard reset?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    I am suffering through the same dilemma. If I do a hard reset of the Vx (to change the user name), does the Vx need its own desktop software to sync, or can it sync through the 650's desktop software? Also, can I get the 650's address book onto the Vx after the hard reset?
    that's a diff't situation than mine. I want to keep the two completely separate--2 OSs, 2 db's, etc.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You can sync the Vx using the 650's desktop software, but you really don't want to sync two different Palms with the same HotSync username - you'll end up corrupting both of them.

There are ways to keep address books in sync across two or more Palms, but I don't know the details.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Holmes4 has got it! You can sync as many handhelds as you want with the Software, but if you use the same user name, you are asking for big troubles!
  7.    #7  
    Holmes and BenJoe: I'll have different user names for each device. My wife will have her user name for her Vx and I'll have my user name for my 650 (we also have separate XP login names). I was reluctant to try to run her Vx through the 650's desktop software, thinking that the Vx won't handle that latest version of the OS. But it sounds like you guys think there won't be a problem doing that. It sounds like you a recommending that I NOT install the Palm Vx desktop software through my wife's XP login. If I misunderstand this, let me know.

FYI, after installing the 650 desktop software, it is all fully functional and accessible through my XP login. When I use my wife's login, the only part of the software that's accessible is the Hot Sync Manager. I can't be sure if this is good or not.

BenJoe: Check your regular email--I replied to your email with some questions re PlanPlus that you may be able to answer.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    What part are you looking for? You may just need to create shortcuts for your wife's desktop.
  9.    #9  
    Holmes: I wasn't clear. When I login to XP, there are four palmone programs available to me when I go to All Programs, then palmOne: Hotsync Manager, Palm Desktop, palmOne Quick Install, and VersaMail Setup. Plus there's a link to User Manuals. When I login as my wife and go to All Programs, then palmOne, the only program available is Hotsync Manager.

It seems that I could set up short cuts within my wife's account, but again since I'm so new to XP, I want to be careful not to scr*& the pooch on this one. Since I was originally planning to install the Palm Desktop that came with my wife's Vx, I took this arrangement as good news. Now that you're telling me I she can run her Vx off of the 650 Palm Desktop, the absence of the Palm Desktop and QuickInstall on her account seems problematic unless I can take the shortcut approach you suggest. Thanks again for the help.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Just copy the shortcuts from your desktop to your wife's. Should work. I have found a lot of Windows software that does not properly install to "All Users" (or ask you which you want.)
    So, feathers, are you going to use Plan Plus? I am considering doing what you are doing but with Plan Plus (except I have a T3 and 650) and wondering if there will be any issues. I am still trying to determine if this will even work.

I think I understand how to make apps work on two different hanhelds but I am not sure how an app works if there is a desktop component. I am probably going to give it a whirl tomorrow.
  12.    #12  
    Well, I downloaded the free trial of PlanPlus for XP. The desktop operation looks good. Problem is that the trial doesn't seem to contain the module to load it on to a pda (makes you wonder what their idea of a trial is). I've been in email contact with BenJoeM and am hoping to hear back from him on whether there's a way to load the pda module that's not apparent to me.

Meanwhile he emailed me the link for the free trial of PP 2.0 for Outlook. I'm not going to run that until I know whether I can get the 3.0 PP for XP trial to run on my 650. If the 3.0 trial won't, I'll uninstall it and load the 2.0 trial. Once I get one of them running on my 650, then I'll try to do the same with my wife's Vx.

Let me or BenJoeM know if you to want an email with the link for the 2.0 trial. But I"d be interested in knowing if you can get the 3.0 trial to run on your 650--are you going to do the Outlook version or the XP version?
    I own PP 2.0 for Outlook. I have the 3.0 trial and I am trying to decide which one to load. My thought is either way I go, I am going to have to uninstall what I have right now and reinstall after I load up the 650 software and sync it for the first time. I guess I could load just the Palm piece and specify the 650 Hotsync id. These are the types of things I am unclear about when it comes to sync'ing two Palms to one computer.

I don't know about PP for XP but I have the trial for PP 2.0 for Outlook and when you run the installer, you have the option of loading both the desktop piece (Outlook plugin) and the Palm software.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Sorry it has taken awhile to get back, Work has been murder and my 650 wigged out, new one will be here tomorrow.

As for 2.0 and 3.0 I will be honest about this. 3.0 didn't experience much change from 2.0 infact I felt the Sync actually slowed way down on the 3.0. If you do want to try it might be good. I have some friends that use 3.0 with the T3 and TE with out a problem, but I found only problems with my 650.

TreoBeard mentioned that you should be able to install the XP or any version's Palm Conduits. This is done after you install the Full Version first, then the Palm version will unlock. If it hasn't yet I would try first deleting it and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the problem. None of your data will be erased I promise! If that doesn't work, the only other option would be to go to FranklinCovey Tech support, the chat version is free!

My wife and I have two handhelds, TE and the Treo 650. We actually use to XP Log in ID's. I installed my 650 software and PlanPlus on my ID and then she installed her TE and PlanPlus software on her ID. They didn't interfer at at all! She just logs in and syncs when she wants and our ID's never get crossed. It is fantastic. Multiple Users is amazing on XP!

Let me know if you need any more help!

Again sorry for the late posts!

BenJoe
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    My wife and I have two handhelds, TE and the Treo 650. We actually use to XP Log in ID's. I installed my 650 software and PlanPlus on my ID and then she installed her TE and PlanPlus software on her ID. They didn't interfer at at all! She just logs in and syncs when she wants and our ID's never get crossed. It is fantastic. Multiple Users is amazing on XP!
    So BenJoe, I wanna be sure I understand you right. First, I assume that you only have one version of Palm Desktop on your PC and that both you and your wife both run your devices off of that. Right, or did you each install separate copies of Palm Desktop under your separate login IDs?

Second, it sounds like you and your wife separately purchased PlanPlus and each of you loaded your copies on your PC under your separate logins. Is that right? I was under the impression that one copy of PlanPlus can handle multiple users. Or am I missing something?

Let me know about the above, and thanks for all the help. I think I'm set now as to what I need to do. I just need to get some time to do it all (only have time to read TC right now).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Close,

What I did was since the installation CD's were different, I actually installed the version of Palm Desktop that came with the handheld on ID that was going to use it:

For example: My wife has a TE and so on her XP ID installed her software and the planplus. Then on my ID I installed my software and PlanPlus software. I figured since I was using PlanPlus for the same computer, there wouldn't be a problem with me installing it twice on the same computer. Then she uses her Palm Desktop designed for her palm and I use mine! It works great, now when I am on my ID and have to sync I don't have to worry about telling the computer which Hotsync ID to use. When she wants to sync or check her email, she logs into her ID on XP and she never even sees nor has access to my palm.

PlanPlus can handle multiple users if you were to install multiple users in PlanPlus on the same XP ID. But everytime you turn on PlanPlus or Outlook if you use that version it will ask you which user you are and the same thing with syncing it will ask you which user or palm is syncing, me I like to sync and go so that is why I set up the two XP ID's so they wouldn't touch each other.

BenJoe
    Last edited by BenJoeM; 03/16/2005 at 03:18 PM.
  17.    #17  
    BenJoe: You've done it! You've explained exactly what I was planning to do originally. I'm really glad to hear all runs fine for you this way--that's what I wanted to hear. I agree with you that not having to select which Hotsync ID each time is the way to go--isn't that the whole purpose of having separate logins in XP?! Grazie mille!