Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got home from work late today and the HBH-660 was waiting for me... Ordered it Sunday night from Danscellphones on ebay ($85 shipped), he sent it Tuesday, I got it Friday. Pretty quick.

Charged it, paired it (go into bluetooth/handsfree on Treo and search, then enter password 0000), then tested it out -- works great. Making outgoing calls from the Treo transfer nearly instantly to the headphone w/o pressing anything. Incoming calls take about 2-3 seconds (closer to the 2 side) from when the phone starts ringing (you hear a ring in the headphone and press the button on it to answer). No probs.

Volume is way low even with it cranked all the way up. I'd think it would be unusable in a car or maybe outdoors period. It doesn't go IN your ear, just kinda sits in front of it -- and no matter how I arranged it and the earhook, it didn't seem to line up right with my ear-hole However, from reading here, I knew about the volume issue ahead of time and my intention from the start was to dump the ear hook thingie and use the ear gels. I think the hooks in general are kind of annoying and wearing glasses makes em even worse.

I also ordered the 3 pack of colored Jabra EarGels from Amazon and received those as well. The gels come in three sizes for both left and right ear. Only the largest size one (purple) will fit on the 660. It's very snug and secure. I have normal sized ears, and it fits me fine. With the gels on, the volume can be turned way down now as the audio is pretty much shooting directly into your brain! Sounds great.

Made some test calls with my wife in the house and it sounded excellent on both ends (I made her wear the headset and I tried from the landline end as well).. No static at all with the phone within about 10 feet. In fact with a clear line of sight between the phone and my head, I could go a good 25 feet with "usable static" (very very slight).. Going around a lot of turns and walls, etc., the static gets a little worse. And oddly enough theres some static (in the very slight category) if the headset is in right ear and phone is in left pocket. I keep the phone in my right and headset in my right, so no biggie.

The headset is very light and super comfortable to wear with the Jabras. Don't see long time wear being an issue.

Dan also throws in a car charger (in addition to the wall charger that comes in the box), as well as the worthless "radiation shield" and "antenna booster" stickers (he must have thousands of them left over from the big craze a few years ago when everyone fell for that crap - they went into the garbage).

Overall -- awesome!

Oh, I also tried the SlicSound ear gels, which are not anywhere near as good with the 660 as the Jabras. None of the 3 sizes stayed in my ear very well, and with them attached to the headset, it felt like it could fall out at any minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    guy this is great...and not a moment to soon, i finally tested my Jabra BT200 with my Treo 650, and it sucked the big one, and i thought about going this route...welli think you have sold me yo
    Nice review Joebar! I've had a pack of Jabra eargels sitting on desk for about a week and finally tried one (the blue one) and about two minutes into a phone conversation the 660 fell off my ear and left the eargel snug in my ear. I guess I should try the biggest one.
    Last edited by millerhifi; 03/11/2005 at 10:30 PM.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  4.    #4  
    The gels rock!! They look pretty freaky (how the hell is that supposed to go in my ear?) but they fit awesomely, and go in easily.

Oh forgot to mention, they were like 6 or 7 bucks shipped from Amazon.
    The gels are the way to go with the 660. I too notice slight static if my phone is on the opposite side of my body as the headset. Thanks for the thorough review!
    In time, you will find that it is necessary to superglue the gels to the headset.
    That's the last thing that I want to do is glue something to my $80 headset!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    That's the last thing that I want to do is glue something to my $80 headset!
    You'll see!
    That's why I haven't really bothered with them.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Get the clear jabra gels from Radio Shack- go on easy, comfy. But after a while, the gels start slipping off the headset when it's in your pocket. Since I used a little superglue, hasn't happened again.
    .[QUOTE=Joebar]Got home from work late today and the HBH-660 was waiting for me... Ordered it Sunday night from Danscellphones on ebay ($85 shipped), he sent it Tuesday, I got it Friday. Pretty quick.

Volume is way low even with it cranked all the way up. I'd think it would be unusable in a car or maybe outdoors period. It doesn't go IN your ear, just kinda sits in front of it -- and no matter how I arranged it and the earhook, Don't see long time wear being an issue.

thats excactly what i use to experiance when i had sprint treo 650 last month then i switched to cingualr the sound is very loud way diffrent than sprint.
    using same HBH-660 with both phones
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    In time, you will find that it is necessary to superglue the gels to the headset.
    No prob -- will do when necessary.
    I've got the best solution for eargels, and the 660. Fishing Line. I know this sounds weird. But trust me!!! I promise. I will try and get pictures tonight! I've been using this setup for 3 months. Just tie the fishing line around the eargel and the 660. The fishing line is clear and you can't even notice it.
    Excellent pics Joebar! Should get my 660 from Dan's some time this week. Already have gels from a headset I had from my Visor Phone/ treo 270 time frame.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    You won't need to superglue the colored gels, I know, because I have both. The clear gels definitely fit loosely compared to the colored gels.

Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    Get the clear jabra gels from Radio Shack- go on easy, comfy. But after a while, the gels start slipping off the headset when it's in your pocket. Since I used a little superglue, hasn't happened again.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios
    Excellent pics Joebar! Should get my 660 from Dan's some time this week. Already have gels from a headset I had from my Visor Phone/ treo 270 time frame.
    Thx -- good luck!
    Has anyone had any luck using one of the smaller eargels with the 660? Or the large eargels are the only ones that will fit on a 660? I've got small ears....

Thanks.
  19.    #20  
    <edited -- see posts 21 and 23> Like I said, I have normal sized ears and the large ones are not really "large".

Dunno how small your ears are tho Pay the 6 bucks and get the gels first from Amazon before ya get the headset?
    Last edited by Joebar; 03/14/2005 at 06:22 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast