Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    My wife is considering getting a smartphone. I'd like to encourage her to get a Treo 650, but she's has her eye on a Pocket PC phone, possibly a Siemens SX 66. (Shudder the thought!) What good arguments can I use to convince her that a Treo 650 beats a Pocket PC phone. (Right?)

--Bill
    Maybe you should first ask her why she wants a PPC? There may be a specific need.

Pro 650 arguments: relative ease of use, smaller form factor, better keyboard.
    The only argument is to wait for the bugs to worked out of the Treo 650. But you never know, she might be one of those lucky few that don't have any problems.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    one good reason is:EDGE....the sx66 doesn't have it
  5. j2_
    PocketPC is just as buggy...
    palmOne Treo 650 unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    My wife is considering getting a smartphone. I'd like to encourage her to get a Treo 650, but she's has her eye on a Pocket PC phone, possibly a Siemens SX 66. (Shudder the thought!) What good arguments can I use to convince her that a Treo 650 beats a Pocket PC phone. (Right?)

--Bill
    I am a former PocketPC & Windows OS Smartphone user. Hands down, the Treo650 just knocks the socks off PPC devices for a converged device. There are somethings that the Palm OS can't handle yet (true multi tasking for example) that the PPC side can, but in my opinion the benefits of the Treo650 far outweigh any technical or os advantages that PPC has right now. Things may change when Magento comes out this summer for PPC devices, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and the SX66 won't have Magento for a long time after that if ever. If she wants a phone "right now" then go with the Treo650. If Magento Phones are kick ***, then sell the Treo and get one of those this summer. But I would think a Version 1 Magento phone is going to be buggy as any version 1.0 is bound to be these days!

So far, I have been very pleased with my Treo650. It's well designed and for me it totally works as advertised. It's very intuitive to use (which should be a big selling point to your wife) and the integration with the keyboard mean that you can use it with the stylus if you want, but one handed use for basic functions is very very well integrated and works very well. To me that is a huge advantage over PPC devices.

I have 2 kids and the ability for me in the evening to have my phone upstairs with me and respond to emails while hanging out with my kids and not going down to the office is a very very nice feature, and I can tell you that it's a pleasure to use the Treo, I just can't see any current PPC device being as easy or as reliable as I have found the Treo650.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    tell your wife, if she EVER let the battery of sx66 run flat, oh yeah, she'll be having a ball of a time, all her stuff IN the ppc will be erased permanently *unless she diligently backup her ppc once every few hours

also, the battery of sx66, i doubt it last longer than treo 650
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I got your arguments. As someone who sells both, let me tell you, I have FAR less customer issues from the Treo. Naturally I educate them to its drawbacks prior to the sale, but I do that with the PPC phones too. Yet it never fails that PPC customers always have problems with the device, often times ones I can't solve. This almost never happens with the Treo. Everything is so intuitive. Look, the 650 is like a Ferrari. I had a friend once who owned a Testarosa, and he complained every few weeks about it being in the shop with some new problem. One night at a gathering with several friends one of them got tired of his whining (None of US drove Ferrari's so where did he get off?) and asked him very combatitively why he didn't just sell the damn thing and get something less tempermental? Rather than getting defensive (Which we ALL expected, the Testarosa was a sore subject!) he got a wistful, far away look in his eyes and said "I know, I know, but man! When she's running? Oh, its heaven Michael. Heaven."
    That, to me epitomizes the Treo. I comolain, as do many people on these boards, but that's just because we're blowing off steam to people who'll listen. Its still the best damn convergence devoce on the market. Use one for a little while and you'll see. You just can't give it up.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I'm more interested to find out why she wants PPC as was asked earlier. Palm OS devices are better on Battery support, memory, application support and useability. I've had chances to use PPC devices and always had to fight the battery draining. the Treo is a really great phone. Despite some of the problems others have had, I haven't experience crashing (that I didn't cause) or lock ups. Just fortunate I guess!

The amount of accessories for the Treo:

http://web.palmone.com/products/acce...essories.jhtml

The other problem is that this is a PPC size device. It's much larger and not as wearable as the Treo. And at a bulky 2.8 by 4.9 by 0.7 inches and 7.4 ounces its a really significant device to carry around. The Treo 650 by contrast is 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches. I've been reading that that the keyboard is too cramped. A big problem could be that if your carrier supports EDGE you won't be disappointed. The SX 66 will not support EDGE network.

I really like my Treo 650. I had a chance to try the Qool QDA-700, and some of the other Palm OS devices at a recent conference and the Treo just seems to work better. None of the PPC devices I held felt as capable and compact.
    Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Palm Vx -> Handera 330 -> m515 -> Samsung SPH-I300 (Sprint) -> Tungsten T -> Sony TH55 (BT/WiFi UK) + SE T637 -> Garmin iQue 3600 -> unlocked Treo 650 (AT&T), Jabra BT110 Headset
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danfan521
    I'm more interested to find out why she wants PPC as was asked earlier. Palm OS devices are better on Battery support, memory, application support and useability. I've had chances to use PPC devices and always had to fight the battery draining. the Treo is a really great phone. Despite some of the problems others have had, I haven't experience crashing (that I didn't cause) or lock ups. Just fortunate I guess!
    There's no special reason why she's interested in the Pocket PC phones -- she's mostly evaluating her options. She knows I'm a big Treo fan, but just wants to be sure before she trades in her light Nokia for something that's quite different.