1.    #1  
    The bars on the signal strength indicator go from 4 to 1 to 0 to 5, etc. Any reason for this wild fluctuation? Perhaps a consensus?

Thanks!
    probably has something to do with the carrier.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    That happens to mine in a place that I will nearly always drop a call. The signal goes from full strength to zero instantly, then the call drops then the signal will instantly come back to 3 bars. Go figure.
    Same here!!!
    fresno california cingular
    have you had similar symptoms on other phones you've owned in the exact same place?

If not, do the math... right?
    Unfortunately this is my first Sprint phone, so I don't have anything else to compare it with. I will say that the dropped call problem in that area has reduced since installing the roaming patch. The signal still drops to nearly zero, but the call usually stays connected through the "bad spot". I still see the dramatic switch from full scale to no scale signal, however.
  7.    #7  
    I wonder if these fluctuations on the signal strength indicator are more of a function of a software glitch than actual signal strength. Although even if the latter is the case, I fear the former still dictates how certain programs on the Treo would react even if the *real* signal strength is strong.

So, while one might actually be in a strong signal area, the indicator's wild (perceivably glitchy) fluctuations may cause web browser, email and other data intensive programs to act errantly because they rely on that indicator.
    The fluctuations you guys mentioned was 'included functionality' in my old Sony Ericsson phones but with my Treo, I've noticed the bars don't tend to fluctuate much. It's almost as if the display isn't refreshing even when I do have a lower signal reception.

Anyone else notice this?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    I also have noticed this with my Verizonized 650. The wild fluctuations don't actually reflect my real reception. The most bars it will display are 4 in places where I KNOW there is great Verizon reception. Are there only 4?
    Quote Originally Posted by chitlins
    I also have noticed this with my Verizonized 650. The wild fluctuations don't actually reflect my real reception. The most bars it will display are 4 in places where I KNOW there is great Verizon reception. Are there only 4?
    Yes, 4 bars is the max.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  11.    #11  
    Yes, sorry. There are only 4 bars max.
    I think it's when the Treo has a hard time picking a tower in a poor area. I have the issue at the house and it's wierd. I like on a hill sort of, so I think it may see a stronger signal and switch only to have it go bad.