Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use Treo 650 with T-Mobile. The signal really sucks inside my house. Any way to boost the signal inside the house by adding an external antenna, amplifier, etc.? I know there are gadgets like this for cell phones, but I'm not sure if they work for Treo 650.

TIA
    I found something on this site. I was looking into it for my office since we have 0 reception.

http://www.cellantenna.com/repeater/...g_repeater.htm
    Check out www.wpscellular.com I am using their trucker antenna mounted to the back of my house and a 25 foot cable to my desktop. Wilson just started shipping the cable adapter for the Treo 650!

With my old phones (Nokia and Sony Ericsson), I went from unusable to 3 bars of signal strength with the antenna. There is also a 3 watt amplifier available if the antenna does not give you enough power gain.

These guys are very helpful via the phone if you want to discuss your setup.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Check out www.wpscellular.com I am using their trucker antenna mounted to the back of my house and a 25 foot cable to my desktop. Wilson just started shipping the cable adapter for the Treo 650!

With my old phones (Nokia and Sony Ericsson), I went from unusable to 3 bars of signal strength with the antenna. There is also a 3 watt amplifier available if the antenna does not give you enough power gain.

They have many trucker antennas (or would that be antennae). Which one did you get?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    This is the one that I use

http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=3

I recall mounting with a right angle bracket bought from my local hardwar store. It has weathered the New England winters very well.
    I have just installed a repeater in my home office as I was unable to get more than a one bar signal otherwise. With an outside antenna and a coax line plus repeater into my office I now get a full four bars with excellent reception. The system is made by Cell Antenna and you can get more info at www.cellantenna.com. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetprop
    I have just installed a repeater in my home office as I was unable to get more than a one bar signal otherwise. With an outside antenna and a coax line plus repeater into my office I now get a full four bars with excellent reception. The system is made by Cell Antenna and you can get more info at www.cellantenna.com. Highly recommended.
    I can quote this, I also had NO signal in my house, I got the $499 Cell Antenna Repeter Package (for Sprint) and now I have 4 bars in the main section of my house. I also Highly Recommend.
    Just an FYI the signal strength/ repeater/anntena issue for cell phones has been discussed at howardfurums and sprintusers, ad nauesum do a search there and you will get plenty of imformation both pro and con.

RJ

hey Swieder... so did you get your new adapter from WPSCellular ? How is the Signal now ? Just wondering... cuz, right now I only have 1 to 2 bars (lucky if I have a 2 bar reading).. So I am hoping a Trucker Whip and a 25' cable works well for you... specific to the Treo650... ( I am using Sprint PCS network). Thanks for helping...
    Got to love it... Balinor
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    LOL FCC's gonna keep an eye on you folks... just kidding
    The new adapters arrived at Wilson last Friday. I hope to get it later this week. Once I have a chance to test it than I will post the results here. Currently I am getting 1 bar from my office and consider the Treo unusable from this location.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton
    I can quote this, I also had NO signal in my house, I got the $499 Cell Antenna Repeter Package (for Sprint) and now I have 4 bars in the main section of my house. I also Highly Recommend.
    Where online do you get that?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    I got the Treo 650 cable adapter and hooked it up to the cable connected to the Wilson trucker antenna mounted on the back of my house. My signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars. It seems to work great.

Now my only question is whether I want to punch a whole in my $40 leather case so that I can get to the antenna connector on the back of the phone without removing the treo from its case.
    If you are willing to spend $500 on an antenna for your house, wouldn't a call forwarding option with your provider be a lower cost in the long run?

I know Cingular offers it, though I don't know if it applies to Treos, and it doesn't count against your minutes. If you have only one place where you have an issue (home or office) this might be an option. If I'm way off base here, just let me know. I see some of these price tags and try to think of a cheaper option, thats all.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    I got the Treo 650 cable adapter and hooked it up to the cable connected to the Wilson trucker antenna mounted on the back of my house. My signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars. It seems to work great.

Now my only question is whether I want to punch a whole in my $40 leather case so that I can get to the antenna connector on the back of the phone without removing the treo from its case.

Thanks SWIEDER

This is good news... for less than $75 you can get an antenna, adapter and BOOM, you have more reception. Excellent... this should go good on my desk, since I used the Treo Speaker Phone all the time (and if I need to roam around the home office, I have a BT head set to boot )

How much was the adapter ? just curious... Thanks again...
    Balinor -

The Adpater is $10 plus $5 shipping. It is a very cost effective setup. Just mount the antenna as high as you can. Although mine is only 15 feet from up from the ground. I used a simple right angle bracket from the hardware store. My cable is about 25'

My desk setup just needs a cradle that has the phone jack accessible.

btw - I bought a leather hole punch and was able to neatly cut through my EB case. I can plug in the adapter cable while the Treo stays in it case.
    I just ordered the trucker antenna and adaptor from www.wpscellular.com. I thought I'd try this before getting the 500 buck repeater, though it will tie me to the desk at home. We'll see how it goes. I should also get my replacement phone wednesday, so hopefully I'll get the antenna the same time. No more resets and more signal. What more do I need?
    OK Everyone... I got my supplies from WPSCellular.com... results are good...

Bought the same stuff as Swieder, and instead of choppy one bar of reception, I have a SOLID 2 bars... and no drops or quality issues. Thanks everyone who contributed to this discussion, now I have a solution. Have my Treo with a belt clip hanging on my shelf above my monitor in my home office, and things are great!!!!

(Ran the antenna up thru the wall to the attic, and have it braced to a support stud in the attic... )
    Balinor -

I am happy to hear that my recommendation worked for you. It is a very cost effective solution. It sounds like you have mounted the antenna at a good height which makes a big difference.

As an added expense the WPS guys also have a 3 watt amplifier which looks interesting.

I am still trying to figure out a good solution for having the treo on my desk. I hope a 3rd pary cradle comes out that can support a telephone headset and enough wiggle room so I can keep the Treo in its leather case.
    Signal in my apartment is awesome, always at full bars. I've been using the free signal repeater from the repeater trial SprintPCS had a few months ago. I'm in a one level apartment so it works for me, and I have yet to drop any calls since installing it last year. Works with all of our sprint phones too.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast