1.    #1  
    Four TomTom topics:

- Now that 2GB SD cards are actually shipping, has anybody tried loading the entire set of maps onto one card? Any problems? If this works, it would be incredible (no more having to bother with shuffling maps around)! http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=77049

- TomTom's website (http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=48&Language=4) lists a "closing date" of March 31, 2005 for the update needed to make their software work on the Treo. Does this mean TomTom Navigator 2005 is about to come out?

- Anybody know anything about the next version of TomTom? I assume this version will "officially" support the Treo 650... Given the installation issues, I'm inclined to wait for the next version. Anybody else waiting too?

- Is it possible to mix Europe and US maps? It'd be great to have both at once for travelling. Unfortunately, TomTom's website seems to assume you want US or Europe, not both. Of course, what I really want is coverage for the whole planet (the moon and ISS are optional :-)

Any thoughts would be great, before I take the plunge...
    1. I have all the maps installed on a 1GB SD card, no shuffling (maps of the whole country take about 850MB).

2. The "closing date" is not on the upgrade for the Treo. The upgrade for the Treo is free - it's just a download from their website. That "closing date" is for the special $50 price to upgrade to Navigator 2004 if you already have the old version of Navigator (it doesn't sound like you do). You'll just have to buy new anyway, this offer doesn't apply to you.

3. I don't know about "official support", but this version works just fine. The one issue I had with it (that I couldn't use the bluetooth headset immediately after using it) was fixed by PalmOne in their CarKit update (also available free). It turned out to be a Treo 650 issue, not a TomTom issue.

4. I'm quite sure it's possible to mix maps technically; you'll probably have to pay for both sets of maps though at $150 a pop. Contact TomTom customer support and see if there's a cheaper alternative.

Most of us were blown away by TomTom, I would just pull the trigger and do it. My only advice you might want to consider is that I got the Holux GR-231 on Ebay for $98 and then bought the software only bundle, rather than getting the TomTom Bluetooth GPS unit. It has one extra feature that's pretty key...when it detects that it is no longer communicating with the Treo, it shuts down after 10 minutes so it doesn't use up battery life - you don't have to remember to shut it down manually.
    CeBIT, 10 March 2005 – TomTom, a leading navigation solution provider, today announced a new and improved version of its award-winning navigation software solution, TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 for PDAs. An advanced and powerful navigation tool, TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 will turn users’ PDAs into a personal assistant on the road.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 (available in both a wired and wireless version) offers users updated features for easy and stress-free travel, in the car or on foot. TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 features an improved Itinerary Planner for planning multi-destination trips, seamless integration with a PDA’s contacts folder, customisable Points of Interest (POI’s), the latest maps* and the new TomTom PLUS services. NAVIGATOR 5 is TomTom’s most comprehensive navigation solution for PDAs to date.

“NAVIGATOR 5 is far beyond any other navigation solution available on a handheld device and is a must have for any PDA user,” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “New features such as enhanced map coverage, downloadable maps, as well as the ability to plan journeys according to the quickest and shortest routes will ensure our customers the same impeccable navigation experience they have come to expect from TomTom.”

The wireless version of NAVIGATOR 5 will also feature TomTom’s new Bluetoothtm GPS receiver (a small and lightweight device that can be placed in the pocket or a bag). This provides better than ever sensitivity for picking up GPS signals.

With the improved Itinerary Planner users can now also plan more complex routes to multiple destinations and add more stopping points on the journey. Customers simply need to pre-programme the stopping points before they depart and TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 will calculate the best route, incorporating each stop on the way to the end destination.

In addition, seamless integration into the PDAs contact folder allows users to plan journeys with information taken directly from their address book for improved functionality and intuitiveness.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 includes:
    • TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 software and a pre-installed map of your region on SD card
    • TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver (only with wireless version)
    • AC home charger and/or cigarette lighter charger for the GPS receiver

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available in the United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland and Italy, as well as the United States of America.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is compatible with various accessories including the TomTom Holders and Carkits. Accessory maps are the ideal tool for planning European wide routes including cross-border navigation, making travelling as easy as a trip to the high street.

UPGRADE PROGRAMME:
    Existing owners of TomTom Navigator 3, TomTom Navigator 2, TomTom Navigator for palmOne, and the TomTom HP Navigation Packs for the HP iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC and HP iPAQ hx2110 will be able to download for free the TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 software from the TomTom website (www.tomtom.com) when TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available.

COMPATIBILITY:
    PocketPC, PalmOne

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
    TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available from May 2005 at major retailers across Europe. The pricing for the wireless GPS and wired GPS versions will be announced shortly
    ----

Hopefully, this new navigator will include a SIRFStar III chipset in the Bluetooth GPS. Otherwise, I suggest getting a Globalsat BT-338 bluetooth receiver. SIRFStar III is far better than previous SIRFStar II models.
    So where is the best place to buy the tomtom2004 and the HOLUX reciever? And is this the best bang for the buck currently being offered for gps for the treo?

I assume you prefer the Holux becasue it will auto shut down if not communicating?

Thanks
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    You might also consider TomTom MOBILE 5, which is also listed as compatible with the Treo 650:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...=69&Language=1

It's not clear (to me) how this will differ (if at all) from NAVIGATOR 5 on the 650. MOBILE 5 is aimed at smartphones and NAVIGATOR 5 at PDAs but TomTom say both will run on the 650 and both will be released in the next couple of months.
    I got my Holux 231 from www.semsons.com. No problems.

Clue
    Got my Holux 231 from Ebay - new in box for $98 + tax and shipping.

I got the Navigator 2004 directly from TomTom, though I understand you can do it from TigerGPS for $130.

Yes, TomTom appears to be the best bang for the buck out there right now (it's the best nav system I've had, including in-vehicle nav).
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I wonder if this will work for the treo 650. Download on the fly would be sweet.
    "Ready for more? TomTom PLUS services offers you real-time traffic and weather information, as well as downloadable voices, points of interests and much more…"
    --Don
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    TomTom Launches TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 for PDAs

CeBIT, 10 March 2005 – TomTom, a leading navigation solution provider, today announced a new and improved version of its award-winning navigation software solution, TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 for PDAs. An advanced and powerful navigation tool, TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 will turn users’ PDAs into a personal assistant on the road.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 (available in both a wired and wireless version) offers users updated features for easy and stress-free travel, in the car or on foot. TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 features an improved Itinerary Planner for planning multi-destination trips, seamless integration with a PDA’s contacts folder, customisable Points of Interest (POI’s), the latest maps* and the new TomTom PLUS services. NAVIGATOR 5 is TomTom’s most comprehensive navigation solution for PDAs to date.

“NAVIGATOR 5 is far beyond any other navigation solution available on a handheld device and is a must have for any PDA user,” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “New features such as enhanced map coverage, downloadable maps, as well as the ability to plan journeys according to the quickest and shortest routes will ensure our customers the same impeccable navigation experience they have come to expect from TomTom.”

The wireless version of NAVIGATOR 5 will also feature TomTom’s new Bluetooth tm GPS receiver (a small and lightweight device that can be placed in the pocket or a bag). This provides better than ever sensitivity for picking up GPS signals.

With the improved Itinerary Planner users can now also plan more complex routes to multiple destinations and add more stopping points on the journey. Customers simply need to pre-programme the stopping points before they depart and TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 will calculate the best route, incorporating each stop on the way to the end destination.

In addition, seamless integration into the PDAs contact folder allows users to plan journeys with information taken directly from their address book for improved functionality and intuitiveness.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 includes:

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 software and a pre-installed map of your region on SD card

TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver (only with wireless version)

AC home charger and/or cigarette lighter charger for the GPS receiver

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available in the United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Germany , Spain, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland and Italy, as well as the United States of America.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is compatible with various accessories including the TomTom Holders and Carkits. Accessory maps are the ideal tool for planning European wide routes including cross-border navigation, making travelling as easy as a trip to the high street.

COMPATABLE PDA’s

TomTom Navigator 5 is compatible with the following models:

Compaq Ipaq 3870, 3970.

HP iPAQ hx2110, hx2410, hx2750, hx4700, rx3715, h6340, rz1710, rz3715, h1940, h1945, h2210, h2215, h4150, h4350, h5400, h5450, h5455, h5550, h5555, h6340

Toshiba E830, E400, E800 BT, E800 WiFi

palmOne Tungsten T3, T5, Treo 650, Tungsten C, Zire 72

Sony Clie TJ 35, Sony Clie TH 55

Acer N30, N35, N50

Qtek 1010, 2020, 9090, S100

Orange SPV M1000

T-Mobile MDA, MDA II, MDA III, MDA Compact

Asus Mypal A620

DELL Axim X50, X50I, X50V, X3, X3i, X30

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 410, 600, 610, 720

Siemens SX 66

O2 XDA 2B, XDA, ZDA II, XDA II S, XDA II Mini

i-mate PDA2K

Vodafone VPA compact

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
    TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available from May 2005 at major retailers across Europe. The pricing for the wireless GPS and wired GPS versions will be announced shortly.

*provided by Tele Atlas, a worldwide leading provider of digital map databases
    --Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro
    So where is the best place to buy the tomtom2004 and the HOLUX reciever? And is this the best bang for the buck currently being offered for gps for the treo?

I assume you prefer the Holux becasue it will auto shut down if not communicating?

Thanks
    I'd recommend a SiRFstar III bluetooth GPS. It's far more sensitive to signals than the old SiRFstar II and will provide superior reception. Basicallly, there's no comparison -- SiRFstar III has 200,000 correlations compared to SiRFstar II's 2,000. So, it's nearly far more sensitive and accurate. It's available for preorder @ http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=404

For more info of SiRFstar III see
    http://www.commsdesign.com/showArtic...cleID=17700295
    http://www.sirf.com/products-ss3.html
    http://www.sirf.com/downloads/collat...%202-17-04.PDF
    DOes anyone know if there is an upgrade path from Navigator 2004 to Navigator 5?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmccarter
    DOes anyone know if there is an upgrade path from Navigator 2004 to Navigator 5?
    According to Katway's post above:
    UPGRADE PROGRAMME:
    Existing owners of TomTom Navigator 3, TomTom Navigator 2, TomTom Navigator for palmOne, and the TomTom HP Navigation Packs for the HP iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC and HP iPAQ hx2110 will be able to download for free the TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 software from the TomTom website (www.tomtom.com) when TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 is available.
    Aren't Navigator 4 and Navigator for PalmOne the same?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle

I sure hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    You might also consider TomTom MOBILE 5, which is also listed as compatible with the Treo 650:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...=69&Language=1

It's not clear (to me) how this will differ (if at all) from NAVIGATOR 5 on the 650. MOBILE 5 is aimed at smartphones and NAVIGATOR 5 at PDAs but TomTom say both will run on the 650 and both will be released in the next couple of months.
    It seems to em that Treo650 has disappeared fom the compatible phones list, or it just have never been?

I'm considering to buy a TomTom navigation system to work with my Treo but I'm not sure whether I have to buy TomTom Navigator or TomTom mobile ???

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compa...=69&Language=1
    Joan López i Graupera
    Barcelon@ - Catalonia
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Navigator 2004 is the same as Navigator for PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgraupera
    It seems to em that Treo650 has disappeared fom the compatible phones list, or it just have never been?

I'm considering to buy a TomTom navigation system to work with my Treo but I'm not sure whether I have to buy TomTom Navigator or TomTom mobile ???

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compa...=69&Language=1
    I think Tomtom Mobile was only designed for Smartphones based on Windows Mobile (SPV/QTEK/Motorola) and the Symbian S60 (Nokia 6600) platforms. As such, I don't belive it will work with the Treo 650. Navigator 5, however, will work with Treo 650 as it is designed for the Palm OS and Pocket PCs.