Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    My wife's week old Treo 650's "Alt" key is stuck in the down position. This just happened to her yesterday and the keyboard is unusable (unless for some reason the phone gets tired of recognizing the key is being continually depressed). Upon further inspection I also noticed that the "P" key isn't making the right clicking noise (I have read about this in other threads).

    OK, so I want to take the keyboard apart and was wondering if anyone though this was a bad idea. For those more experienced Treo owners, will this only cause more damage? Is it only a matter of unscrewing the few socket screws or is much more involved after I get the back plate off?

    Also, if anyone has had this problem before and knows of an easier fix, please tell (I searched TC and only found water damage and insurance fraud....)

    Thanks in advance!!!!!!

    Proud owners of two Treos; one very healthy and one very sick
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    My wife's week old Treo 650's "Alt" key is stuck in the down position. This just happened to her yesterday and the keyboard is unusable (unless for some reason the phone gets tired of recognizing the key is being continually depressed). Upon further inspection I also noticed that the "P" key isn't making the right clicking noise (I have read about this in other threads).

    OK, so I want to take the keyboard apart and was wondering if anyone though this was a bad idea. For those more experienced Treo owners, will this only cause more damage? Is it only a matter of unscrewing the few socket screws or is much more involved after I get the back plate off?

    Also, if anyone has had this problem before and knows of an easier fix, please tell (I searched TC and only found water damage and insurance fraud....)

    Thanks in advance!!!!!!

    Proud owners of two Treos; one very healthy and one very sick
    You void the warranty if you do this. For some, that is not a big deal but if it is, why don't you just get the phone replaced.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  3.    #3  
    I don't think the warranty is that big of an issue, but if I'm not going to be able to fix anything if I put the phone under the knife, then I don't want to do it in the first place. Any first hand experience?
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  4. #4  
    that happened to mine and i went to comp usa and got this electronics cleaner form spray that you spray on and it get in between the phone and the button (b/c i spilled a little coke on it) and it worked perfect, it is like brand new now...might want to try that
  5. #5  
    Why do you think the warranty isn't an issue? The phone's a week old, for pete's sake. Let Sprint (or whomever) replace it. Open it yourself and break something by accident, and you could end up with a $600 paperweight.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. #6  
    I agree...take the phone back to the Sprint store and just have them swap it out...I certainly wouldn't risk $600 like that.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    I don't think the warranty is that big of an issue, but if I'm not going to be able to fix anything if I put the phone under the knife, then I don't want to do it in the first place. Any first hand experience?
    I have not heard of one person on here fix the keyboard hardware issue that you are talking about.

    Sprint/P1 replace these phones when under warranty. Seems like a much safer bet than risking further injury to your Treo.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  8.    #8  
    Everyone's advice is well taken. I won't touch the thing. My buddy is a Sprint manager and he is coming to pick it up before noon.

    My only issue was that if it only required going in there and popping the button or something I would have preferred that route. However, I guess safety first is the cliche of the day.

    I do appreciate everyone's feedback........and I probably would have destroyed the thing!
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    Everyone's advice is well taken. I won't touch the thing. My buddy is a Sprint manager and he is coming to pick it up before noon.

    My only issue was that if it only required going in there and popping the button or something I would have preferred that route. However, I guess safety first is the cliche of the day.

    I do appreciate everyone's feedback........and I probably would have destroyed the thing!
    Frank - Good Luck! Let us know how the new one turns out!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!

Posting Permissions