Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this issue has been beat to death. While reviewing the posts on the new Sprint firmware for the Sprint Treo 650, several members make testimonies for tealbackup and to use it before the update.

I switched from Backupman to BackupbuddyVFS due to the high recommendations and bad experience restoring with Backupman. I have restored from a hard reset with BackupbuddyVFS with some minor problems like my custom ringtones were lost but overall it did the basic job.

For those of you that say your restores are flawless with TealBackup:
    Does Tealbackup restore your custom ringtones? Why is it better than Backupbuddy VFS?
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I'd like to know too. I recently did a restore from BackupbuddyVFS, and there were a few errors, the most obvious being that my splashid data did not restore. That is the #1 most important stream of bytes on my treo.....
    Bok
    I am currently evaluating BackupBuddyVFS (based on previous threads) and am also interested in the informed comments of current users of both products.
  4.    #4  
    Come on soccrnj80 and treoneo from your quotes:

soccrnj80 : "I use teal backup and am able to backup and restore my 650 perfectly. I used it after I did shadowmites custom rom."

treoneo: "I agree that tealbackup seems to be the only solution that works flawlessy all of time."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ead.php?t=76950

Help us out here.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I had trouble with both of these programs. I tried just about every backup program that I know of, and the best one on my treo 650 is by far botzam backup. Although most programs I tried backup okay, the problems came in when restoring. Botzam restores with no problems, EXCEPT it resets when it tries to restore Voicedial app. I just delete it from the backup folder and restore it manually from a manual backup folder. FYI, the only other files that I know of that this program does not restore for me is the phone_SPSS file from shadowmite and the BT DUN patch. I also keep these in the manual restore folder and copy the contents to the palm after i run a restore from botzam. Maybe an annoying extra step for some, but then I dont have to hard reset all that often, so I don't mind!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1129
    I had trouble with both of these programs. I tried just about every backup program that I know of, and the best one on my treo 650 is by far botzam backup. Although most programs I tried backup okay, the problems came in when restoring. Botzam restores with no problems, EXCEPT it resets when it tries to restore Voicedial app. I just delete it from the backup folder and restore it manually from a manual backup folder. FYI, the only other files that I know of that this program does not restore for me is the phone_SPSS file from shadowmite and the BT DUN patch. I also keep these in the manual restore folder and copy the contents to the palm after i run a restore from botzam. Maybe an annoying extra step for some, but then I dont have to hard reset all that often, so I don't mind!
    Does Botzam restore midi ringtones?
  7.    #7  
    Does TealBackup retore Midis?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    botzam does restore my midi ringtones, yes. Don't know about tealbackup though. Im telling ya, botzam works the best, at least for me. I havent understood why so many use backupman and backupbuddy with all the problems always reported! The only issue I know of on botzam on these boards is the company that makes it might not be the best in customer service. That said, the product definetly works best FOR ME. If anyone else knows of any other less known backup software, please post so myself and others can try it out!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1129
    botzam does restore my midi ringtones, yes. Don't know about tealbackup though. Im telling ya, botzam works the best, at least for me. I havent understood why so many use backupman and backupbuddy with all the problems always reported! The only issue I know of on botzam on these boards is the company that makes it might not be the best in customer service. That said, the product definetly works best FOR ME. If anyone else knows of any other less known backup software, please post so myself and others can try it out!!
    I read several posts on botzam that their license key stops working with no reponse from the developer. Not a good situation on software so vital to keeping one's precious data. If someone would respond to my question on TealBackup maybe we all could narrow down our best option. Thanks for the info.
  10.    #10  
    To throw more confusion out there:

I wonder how the new Sprint Firmware update will effect memory management and how that will effect the backup programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb
    To throw more confusion out there:

I wonder how the new Sprint Firmware update will effect memory management and how that will effect the backup programs.
    I would guess that better management of the memory by the OS will aid in consistency of backup apps.
    Ok got very little time...here are the contenders...
    Slug it out and lets see who wins Best in Class...I'm looking for my GSM w/ mac

16.95 Tealbackup v. 1.08 SD and computer
    10.00 Backup man V 1.52 SD card and computer
    29.95 Backup Buddy for Windows Professional 2.1 > sd card and computer
    includes VFS personal
    (anybody know if BB works with Mac?) the literature is confusing...
    ideawizard...use the search. If anyone wonders why I'm blunt you should see is other thread. Sorry I'm too busy to write more.
    I did use the search...thats how I found this thread ....considering teal...looks like the most solid and best deal...but just heard about botsam...thats why I am looking forward to more opinions...I hear that this is a critical app.
    I just want to get the best one for a GSM650 and mac and move on...

all constructive comments as far as your choice of backup software welcome...
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    I did use the search...thats how I found this thread ....considering teal...looks like the most solid and best deal...but just heard about botsam...thats why I am looking forward to more opinions...I hear that this is a critical app.
    I just want to get the best one for a GSM650 and mac and move on...

all constructive comments as far as your choice of backup software welcome...
    I prefer backupbuddy VFS for my SD card backup solution. Others find backupman works well but it has problems with some (myself included) when less memory is available on the device. The backupbuddy desktop application is for windows (not mac )
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ideawizard, try out botzam, its got a 2 week demo. See if it works for you. I think its the least mentioned app of all the backup programs on these boards, but its the only one that worked for me. But I know backupuddy or backupman works for others. Try em out on yours first, I think they all have a trial period. In the end, you should get the one that works best for your treo with the apps you have on it, as different backup apps seem to act differently based on what is on your treo. So, even though botzam works best for me, it might not do the trick for you. But I encourage you to try them all out, thats what I did, and botzam was last on my list, but Im glad I tried it even though by then I was discouraged!!
    Thanks I really appreciate the personal advice on this mission critical app.. It looks like what you said, that different backup apps work for different configurations is the one piece of info that has been missing. I intended to follow Zboaters adviced and put backup software on first. then apps.
    But which backup software has been the logjam
    May I ask what are some of the apps you have found that works with botzam? i.e. your config?

heres mine..
    I intend to install uninstall manger,, kinoma, mm player, p tunes, i spash photo, and store a lot of imovie clips. maybe datebook5 and laucher X and voicesingnal voicedial. dir assistant,snapper mail, thats about it. Thanks!
  18.    #18  
    Still no word from TealBackup users.
    Tealbackup does NOT restore my midis. But it has nothing to do with the software. What I have discovered is that it is most likely that I have a corrupt ringtone database. So as far as some users reporting midis being restored with certain software & some others report the opposite with that same software is a corrupt midi database.When I first got my 650 & for the first few months I could NOT sync my contacts to my desktop with hotsync. It would hang or reset when it got to contacts. I tried everything in the book! I also could not get the contacts app or ringtones database restore from sd backup. I was friggin at a loss & very frustrated. I also noticed that some people were also having a problem syncing calendar databases. So then I finally found some thread where some guy found out the reason why he could not sync his calendar or phone book was because of corrupt database. He deleted his database & manually reentered everything on his treo & all was afixed! Well I went ahead & manually bluetoothed each contact over to desktop ( I had to go through my contacts & eleiminate about 1/2 of them before this so I wouldn't be keeping useless numbers I didn't need). Each time there was some error message when I dragged & dropped a contact to the palm desktop app, I knew that that was corrupt so i entered that one in manually. I then deleted all contact/address book related files on my Treo. I then hotsynced all my data to my Treo for the first time. It has worked flawlessly ever since!! Now since then I have put two & two together and assumed that my ringtone database is corrupt too (the address book would not restore from sd before I removed the "corrupt" entries). What I gather from all this is the corrupt data is only present on people's Treos who have synced old data from older Treo devices. So that's why some people are saying "oh you are nuts, everything on my treo is perfect! I can sync my contacts, calendar, ringtones easily from day one! Bahhh to others who are clearly lying!". If you are a new user to Treo 650 & you have NO data to sync from any old device-you are starting from scratch, you will most likely have very minimal if no random crashes, any problems syncing or restoring from sd the calendar, contacts or any pim data , ringtones, etc. So in conclusion I am willing to bet mucho dinero that your ringtones are corrupt. Now there is really no way of examining each tone & eliminating the corrupt one. So you have a few choices; 1) Just do regular hotsyncs & you can always restore ringtones from your backed up folder on desktop. Or you can bluetooth each ringtone over to the desktop or email to yourself. Then you delete the ringtones database from treo with "files" (this will bring the default list back. Then bluetooth over 1-3 tones at a time. Then back up ONLY the ringtone database. Then delete it again with filez. Now restore from card & seeif they wererestored. If not, then it is corrupt & remove it. If it restores, then you know that those tones are not corrupt & go back to the first step again. I know this is tedious but if you don't have too many custom tones & you really want them, then you have no choice. You have PalmOne to blame for that. I'm no techie by any means but it has to do with the new memory allocating system. We should not have to do any of this to have properly working devices. With all the work we are expected to do with our Treos, PalmOne should put us on the payroll. I hope this clears things up.
    Last edited by treoneo; 03/11/2005 at 03:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I did not upgrade from the Treo 600, but I did upgrade from a Sony Clie N___ somethin or other, and before that a Palm m100, and Palm m505 briefly. So I did not start from stratch, and I have had a few random resets, but not until I started installing 3rd party software left and right about a month ago. Before that when I was using treo apps out of the box, I had no resets at all. I bought it right before a work trip for 2 weeks, and I didnt even know that there was any mass problem with the treos until after I got home and started reading these forums (and my first treo stopped making any sounds with the onboard speaker, which I have since read how to fix on these boards!!). Again, try different apps and see what works for you. I agree with treoneo, I think many of the problems are due to the new memory system. And to answer ideawizard, I have zlauncher, ptunes deluxe, mmplayer, voice dial, botzam backup, and many others including games off the SD card.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast