1.    #1  
    Excuse my ignorance at the outset here, but I am hoping to get some help as a new Treo 650 user, as well as a new mobile email user.

I have set up all of my email accounts using versamail, and am having no problem getting mail from 4 different POP accounts....that is working great. The issue I am having is sending email and configuring the correct settings for it to send mail correctly. I am under the assumption that, since I have an unlocked 650 GSM with Cingular service, and a data budle, that there should be some kind of outgoing mail setting to work with my Cingular service. I spoke to cingular, and they said that the outgoing mail setting should be
    "isp@cingulargprs.com, which makes no sense at all.

Can anyone help me here? If not with Cingular settings, can anyone recommend an email service that will allow me to send mail form all of my POP accounts?

Thanks in advance for your help, excuse the length of this post, and I look forward to your replies.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Not sure about GSM settings but for me (CDMA) it would be something like this: "smtp.cingulargprs.com" smtp is for sending mail out....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'm such a new user I haven't even got my Treo 650 yet! But I'm trying to figure out how I'll deal with my email when I do. Or whether indeed I'll bother with email.

Due to the cost (and speed) of data, I won't really be wanting to download the whole of every email, especially those with attachments which I can leave till I return to my desktop.

I reckon that must leave two options: webmail via Blazer, or configure my email account as IMAP in Versamail. In both cases, I need only download the headers initially and can choose to read the body or not.

What do most people do? Which option would transfer least data / work fastest?
    Gmail to Fastmail to Versamail or either will work to Versamail, that's if your Versamail works. On my Sprint 650, it didn't work well, so I had to get Snappermail and works well.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  5. MMT
    cwmx.com works like a champ for me. Hope this helps.
    You should be able to just use your ISP's smtp server address (like smtp.isp.net). you may have to play with authentication settings to get it right.
    Biggles - you can set Versamail to NOT download attachments unless you click on them - keeps the email downloads to a minimum...
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to all who replied with posts or PMs. I deleted the accounts I set up on the TREO itself, and instead opted to set the accounts up using the Palm Desktop software. I entered the SMTP settings for my various mail accounts (thank you 650now), and after fiddling with the various settings and testing them all, they all seem to test fine and are working some of the time.
    I am receiving error messages from time to time "550 5.7.1 <emailrecipiant@any.com>...Relaying denied". This is strange, because an hour before, I sent an email to the same recipiant, and it worked fine
    One of the accounts, a pop account for which I own the domain, works great every time. The others, one personal (roadrunner), and the other, a business to whick I am a consultant and have an email account with them, are the ones that work sporadically.
    I will keep fiddling with the settings, and eventually, I think I will prevail. I have to say that I love this forum, and love my Treo. I will keep you posted on how this turns out (like you care )
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    i simply use my email providers smtp server settings.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    you can set Versamail to NOT download attachments unless you click on them - keeps the email downloads to a minimum
    I assume, if you set it up in IMAP mode, you would just download the headers (ie from, subject etc), then just download the messages you actually want to read, which would be a tiny minority while 'on the road'?
    MattM2G- How did this turn out? I am getting almost exactly the same error messages when I try to send email. Getting email is no problem. I have an unlocked GSM in Australia with Telstra as my provider trying to link to another ISP's email acct.
    550 5.7.1 <emailrecipiant@any.com>...Relaying denied

sorry to dig up an old thread, but that error generally means that the ISP you're trying to send thru requires you to be within their domain (i.e. have an IP address within their scope) vs. sending via your phone for that to work...