1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out mow to get GPS informaiton from the Treo 650? Qualcomm added this funciton long ago - and I am *sure* it is built into the chipset used on the Treo650. Our company uses embedded data modems, and even the 1.5 yr old modems have a command set to get GPS data.

I beleive the functionality is now mandatory in case of 911 call (commonly called E_911).

I keep seeing posts of others using external Bluetooth devices. I'm surprised no one has figured out how to access the Treo's own GPS capabilities.

BTW - the way it works is the Treo talks to 3 local towers, and with the help of a satalite server (no the Treo doesn't actually talk with the satalite), you can get decent GPS positioning.

Our older embedded CDMA modems can get 5 meter accuracy and even do height...

I've searched the forums and can see no mention of it...
    What you are referring to is the SnapTrack chip that is in all Sprint phones sold in the last few years. The chip doesn't actually do the positioning; it relays data to the towers which can then do the positioning. This information is NOT relayed back to the phone (as far as I understand from some conversations with SnapTrack), so there's nothing to hack to get at info, unless you hack Sprint's network.

With E911, Sprint receives the call and info from the phone, does the calculations to add position within their network, and forwards that information.

Sprint has claimed for years that they will turn on the ability of the phones to access this information (or at least of phone services provided in their network to have access to it), but as of yet have done absolutely nothing.
  3.    #3  
    Are you sure of this - I *know* most modems have the function built-in - and yes - the modem can access the data...
  4.    #4  
    There is no 'GPS' chip needed - this is straight forward software implementation within the modem core.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExaTreoguy
    I keep seeing posts of others using external Bluetooth devices. I'm surprised no one has figured out how to access the Treo's own GPS capabilities.
    Ordinary GPS receivers don't depend on having Sprint coverage, or even turning the radio on...
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
  6.    #6  
    Correct - I was not refereing to an ordinary plugged in GPS receiver. I can get by fine with GPS while the phone is in range of a tower... It would be a very cool applicaiton if enabled on the Treo...