Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Return The Phone For A Replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeeboy51
    I envy the bastards that don't have these issues.

well, thank you
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!

I have been lucky I guess to have not had the issues that seem to plauge many 650 owners. Granted I had to go thru 4 600s with various "issues", but I have been happy with this 650
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
    I can't dispute one thing you say. The thing is despite all these flaws, the 650 is still the best thing going. I wouldn't hesitate to eBay this POS and switch, if something better comes along.

Most of our complaints would seem to be correctable with some sort of patch. I hope they figure it out before somebody else sells me something that doesn't run Palm apps.

For most 650 users, we still have tons of issues even with the updates from the 600. Personally, I rather have the screen res of the 650 and keep the 600. I had a movie and voice recorder before already anyway. Many users have complained that the 650 is slow compared to the 600, even with the upgraded processesor -- from the time it takes to dial a contact, and sometimes from app to app, we get the annoying white screen lag. The camera just looks better because of the high res screen, but the quality isn't a huge leap foward at all from the 600. And not to mention, the constant resets. Yeah, but other than that, its a great phone right? And I wont even talk about the fact that you now have to throw most of your 600 accessories out the window and buy upgrades for the apps you had on the 600.

If it wasnt for the shadowmite, the phone would probably have been returned.
    I'm using a Cingular GSM 650 and it's working like a champ... I did have a daily reset for the first week or so... but it has settled down to being very stable.

I did find that the 650 definitely doesn't like several Palm apps... but once you get the right combination (mostly just making sure you have the most recent updates of your favorite apps) things work great.

Upgrading from the Kyocera 7135, the Treo 650 is just amazing imho
    Yeah, but it bugs me more just comparing it with my old 600. It seemed more stable with the same apps on there. I kept my PC clear of viruses tho and it ran pretty damn efficient, but I'm on a Mac now and its running just as well. Anyway, thats another story.
    You're right the 600 was a very stable platform, the OS included with the T650 is BETA, the bugs prove it...

What people don't seem to understand is the T650 (hardware wise) is an excellent device, but the OS is BETA. It takes both parts to make a complete device and the T650 is lacking in the OS department. Someone made a statment saying that we install apps on our Treo 650s to make them better, much like we upgrade a cd player in a car, but in the context used, and the reason this thread was created that's simply untrue, let me explain...

Perfect example, the 2003 Ford mustang cobra was supposed to come with 390hp, well when they shipped people were getting lower on the dynos somewhere around 370hp I believe, well it was error ford made at the plant, but the customers didn't go out and buy superchargers to "fix" the missing HP problem. They complained to Ford, who then issued and recall immediately and fixed the HP problem. The same thing applies with the T650 the solution to all the bugs on the OS is not (as the consumer) to go out and buy software to work around the bugs, but the device manufacturer (P1) should release a fix for all the issues, I know P1 has made a commitment to reslove the NVFS issues, but they never gave dates, much less fully acknowledged a lot of the other bugs we ran into as problems...

So in conclusion my problem is not with the T650 but with P1 for not owning up to all the bugs, and not really making a commitment on a delivery date of the fixes...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    I switched from Verizon to Cingular for a month's trial because I wanted the Treo 650 so much... but... I can put up with the resets barely.. but am CONSTANTLY DROPPING CALLS.. sometimes 3 to a call, even though the signal reads strong. Is it Cingular? GSM? or the phone? Has anyone else had this problem. Plus the favorites buttons are regularly freezing the screen for resets. But the constant dropped calls... i am depressed think I have go back to the 600 after having had the 650 now.. for me, mainly for the better keyboard. (and keyboard and removable battery).. but none is worth it for these many dropped calls.... Any suggestions? comments
    Last edited by docpm9913; 03/10/2005 at 11:23 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Return The Phone For A Replacement.
    I would but knowing that the issues I have are so random, sprint's technical support wouldn't be able to notice any problems unless I got struck by lightning or something. These issues will most likely not come up when they test it and it'll be a waste of time. I've wasted too much time doing similar things with 600 bugs already.

If there is a known issue that sprint will acknowledge, even tho it wont be caught when they test the unit, let me know, bc other than that, I can't come up with a good enough reason to convince them to replace it.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I have att/cingular (unlocked GSM)...no resets, not dropped calls. (at least not anymore then my nokia had) I am guessing 3rd party apps are to blame. I have a stiock system plus Aagendua and zlauncher. ROCK SOLID
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    [B]
    Here's my list from a previous post...You're running the same code as everyone else so you have the same bugs...
    You're forgetting a broken, sluggish dialer and a broken call log that used to work perfectly, quickly and predictably on the 600 and is now a completely unreliable mess that requires the user to stop whatever he/she is doing to make sure the phone actually dials a number (or doesn't, it's so bad it's hard to predict either way).

This is of course on top of maybe 15 other issues, and I'm talking software alone.

People who don't notice these things are either using the 650 as little more than a toy, or are simply not smart enough to notice things that are broken, that's my conclusion.
    Yeah, but c'mon. Isn't some of this -- like the call log dialing issue -- just getting used to it? I mean, I prefered the old way in the 600 of just being able to dial the number you selected with a single click too...but frankly, if it had always been this way, nobody would be complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddahorton
    Yeah, but c'mon. Isn't some of this -- like the call log dialing issue -- just getting used to it? I mean, I prefered the old way in the 600 of just being able to dial the number you selected with a single click too...but frankly, if it had always been this way, nobody would be complaining.
    Sorry, I disagree. Sluggish, confusing and inferior never goes unnoticed. Comparing this with pretty much any current $100 phone will make it pretty clear how messed up it is.

Plus, the fact that it was better before makes it even *worse*. They actually broke something that worked perfectly before.
    I am using the unlocked GSM ROW version. I have had no problems whatsoever with this unit, no lag, all call logs in memory and working, faster access to programmes, better performance with MMPlayer, great screen resolution, crystal clear sound, spare battery!!! and BT that works a treat. Only gripe is the NVFS memory but that will be fixed in time.
    As for the complaint about having to pay for upgrades which are compatible I can only think of one that I have had to pay for and that is AOL 3.3 for 650. All the rest have been free upgrades or compatible in the first place, backup programme was a bit tricky, but working fine now at no extra cost.
    Great phone, superior in many ways to the 600 and I would not go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    Sounds like you and tundy ought to team up. You can be the second snowflake...
    I was thinking the same thing.

As far as the comments about "getting slammed". Well duh. The same stupid postings, over and over and over and over. "It sucks"...."I love it" .... "I hate it"...."Love it".... People have been picking sides going back to: "Moses, Moses ..Love him! love him!, stone him! stone him!"

Why not sticky 2 threads:

1. "I hate my Treo 650- Here's Why" - people can list their complaints and get busy explaining why they own something they hate so much. Tundy can moderate.

2. "I love my Treo 650- Here's Why" - people can sing the Treo's praises

Then the rest of the 650 forum could be dedicated to people having actual discussions of issues, workarounds, tricks, tips, etc. Imagine that!

Anyone agree?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    You're forgetting a broken, sluggish dialer and a broken call log that used to work perfectly, quickly and predictably on the 600 and is now a completely unreliable mess that requires the user to stop whatever he/she is doing to make sure the phone actually dials a number (or doesn't, it's so bad it's hard to predict either way).

This is of course on top of maybe 15 other issues, and I'm talking software alone.

People who don't notice these things are either using the 650 as little more than a toy, or are simply not smart enough to notice things that are broken, that's my conclusion.
    I've noticed many of these issues, but I don't think the phone sucks. Maybe I am just willing to wait for the fixes. I'll speak to a therapist to find out why I am not having a panic attack over it. Will let you know then....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    The delay when making a call from the contacts list is noticeable, I agree. As for the issue of a " broken " call log, I will say that it is something I will say could be an issue for those who owned a Treo 600, so yeah, that could be disappointing. I never owned a 600 so no big deal. That is small stuff compared to all the other many things the 650 does so well. I too look forward to a " fix " soon for my 650, as it will hopefully make my already reliable 650 even better.
    You are right because the people who are happy with their 650s devices don't come to TreoCentral with the same frequency as people who are having complaints and trouble with their devices. I am out using my device and dropping into TreoCentral perhaps on a weekly basis rather than everyday. I am assuming you have Sprint's version of the T650. As there are complaints about GSM, the majority of them come from the CDMA group. Two reasons: More CDMA users and more fixes to GSM before its released. I encouraged SoufSidah09 to come over to GSM a while back. I am not sure if she did or did not. Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Take care....
    Slam me. I bet I'll get more agreements than diagreements. I'm just flaming on the known issues. Add to my list if I'm missing anything.
    More than likely, I won't be around for a week or so to see if you respond to this post. You appear to be new and sincere with 104 posts.... PM some of the vets like GFunkMagic, bmacfarland, Shadowmite...and get some answers.
    Last edited by specimen38; 03/11/2005 at 07:41 AM.
    I have an unlocked GSM model as well, and no significant problems. I dropped a few calls early on, but after changing my prefs to disable the touchscreen while on calls, it's never happened since. I've had three or four resets, only one of them was unexplainable (the others were specific utils I downloaded that weren't happy running on the 650). Salling Clicker needed a patch to make it work on the unlocked version, which held me up for a bit.

But in general, I'm very happy with this device. And I use it extensively in a variety of contexts - making numerous calls during a given day, checking email frequently, using DUN several times a week, using my BT GPS once or twice a week, using my in-car BT handsfree every day for both making and receiving calls. Everything works great.

At the moment, this is the best option I can suggest to people for a unified phone/PDA. Blackberry's do push email very well, but the platform doesn't offer nearly as many software addon options, and the form factors aren't as well designed. PocketPC is a great platform, but the smartphones out there are big, expensive, power hogs and/or terrible designs.

The true "Treo killer" will be a PocketPC phone with a design that rivals the Treo, and a brand to match.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12