Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Yikes...time to use the headset and put it in the shirt pocket

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-...net&tag=subnav
    Aw man why'd you have to show me that...

and don't think that putting it in your pocket is any better. You'll just get cancer of the teet.
    If you wanna put it another way, 4th highest
    You just bummed me out. Oh, my wife better not see this...
    Imagine what this does, hanging off the belt clip :-)

Aloke
    This was posted before, and someone pointed out that it's only on Cingular 800Mhz GSM network that it's 1.51. On T-mobile, which uses 1900Mhz it's around .93 or something.
    It's SAR level is 1.51 but while using which of the four GSM frequencies? At what SAR is a phone deemed too dangerous for regular use? This list is not very informative if you ask me.

I feel like a broken record, but here goes... the radiation you are exposed to when flying on an airplane is over ten times that of a cellular phone, and you are exposed for the duration of the flight. Besides I'm willing to bet half of you whom are concerned about this either smoke cigarettes, consume alcohol or are exposed to second hand smoke on a regular basis. The other half of you probably sit in front of the PC or TV enough to absorb some radiation. Therefore, in light of this, I must ask... What's the point?
    oh no, skillllllz has already been affected by the radiation!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    oh no, skillllllz has already been affected by the radiation!!!!
    I sometimes wonder...

Nah... It was probably the lead paint on my GI Joes
    I remember an old post (HUGE ONE) on the old Treo600 forums here. People got together and were convinced that the Treo600 gave them headaches. They went through many steps to prove it too.

(I prefer to not know)
    Our Treos wont hurt us, so long as we continue to pray to them.
    I already lost a few chromosones to radiation in the military, so I will put it in m front pocket and enjoy the warm feeling I get inside
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae
    This was posted before, and someone pointed out that it's only on Cingular 800Mhz GSM network that it's 1.51. On T-mobile, which uses 1900Mhz it's around .93 or something.
    Phew, thank goodness I'm on T-Mobile...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    SAR really means nothing. If you compare the "highest" phones to the "lowest" phones the ratio is 10 to 1. 10 to 1 what? Do the 1.5 phones put out 10 times more energy than the .1's? No. Most phones put out about the same energy when they are on. The battery of a low SAR phone does not last longer.

SAR has to do with the geometry of the antenna in relation to the head. If you tilt the antenna 1/4" in either direction you can make a low phone high and a high phone low.

But do I use a headset? Oh yeah. The Near Field travels some 4 inches, and all phones are a disaster...cured by any headset.

Unless you believe that cellular phone exposure is OK (and that IS a controversial subject and the USA says it is OK)

I of course make my living selling gauss meters at www.drgauss.com for $ 39.95 and I also love my treo 650, and the 600 and the 300 before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Unless you believe that cellular phone exposure is OK (and that IS a controversial subject and the USA says it is OK)
    Yes it's very controversial as to what kind of impact these devices have on us. Of course in reality GSM versus CDMA versus Digital versus Analog etc has an impact and the phones are changing so fast that studies done today might not apply to the next generation of cell phones. Until there is some type of standard that really means something, who knows - as you say, best to use a headset to be safe...

Here is a really good article from the most recent issue of "Columns Magazine" which is my college Alumni mag. I read this the other day - it's a good read and well worth the time to try to understand just how little we really know about the impact these devices have, and of course the manufactuers and carriers have no real interest in getting to the bottom if it's bad news...

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/col...eupcall01.html
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  16. jgk
    I hate to have to re-open an otherwise "dormant" (and controversial) thread about radiation, but events of the last couple of weeks have convinced me that there is something to be wary of.

For the last six months or so I've had a dead/numb patch on my leg, just above the knee. I've had various tests - mostly involving me blindfold and the doc sticking a pin in my leg and me saying if I can feel it or not, with the doc then marking up on my leg the "dead" area.

It turns out that the nerve which handles exactly this area of my leg is located directly against my trouser (pants?) pocket, where I've more or less continuously carried a cell-phone for the best part of ten years. Of course, there's no way to prove a cause, or even to wonder if it's a particular phone or the culmulative effect of many phones, but I'm definitely putting it down to mobile radiation having damaged this nerve.

I'm certainly not going to give up my Treo, but in the same way I'm certainly not going to carry mobiles around in my pocket any more .....
    what about the sprint treo.. does that have the same SAR as the GSM one???
    One of my favorote arguments is the LCD manufacturers claim that thier screen put out 3 times the radiation of a CRT. What they don't say is that the magnetic field around power cord to the LCD is 20 times what comes outta the screen. So it turns out that it is 602 versus 606 for the screen and cable. Another was from during a trip by my fellow Long Islanders to the state capital to protest the opening of a nuclear power plant. They sat and had lunch on the granite steps of the state capital. Their arses absorbed more radiation from the granite that they would receive if camped on at the fence line of a nuclear power plant duing complete intentional meltdown.

Radiation is definitely something we need to be concerned about. But orange juice, beer, the sun, power cords, and other things we don't think about provide far more dosage than most other things we experience.
    Anyone know the Sprint level?
    jgk,

I had the same thing on my leg. Actually had to get some cysts removed in the area as well.

Very common to get nerve quirks in the area of men's pockets.

The culprit...KEYS and keychains, and other things in pocket. The poke your skin and over long period cause this problem.

Cell phone radiation is NOT the reason (the pressure the cell phone itself could be).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast