1.    #1  
    I just read an e-mail from Snappermail, that they will be working on a Push E-mail, like Chatter. That would be good, but will that cost us more to upgrade?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Not if it is version 2.x
    I'd say the odds of real push from Snapper within the next 3-6 months is very low. A real-time mode or any other significant IMAP support is also very unlikely, IMO. I don't mean to sound so cynical about it, but they can't even get the darned thing to fetch without turning on the screen!

Marc

p.s. At least they're talking about it, which is new and different.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    they can't even get the darned thing to fetch without turning on the screen!

Ahhh...one feel the pride in your post
  5.    #5  
    Good point, Marc. As a developer, is it hard to turn off screen while fetching mail? That would save some battery.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    It'd be nice if they added a time setting so user could determine when to copy over email to the backup card instead of being fixed at 3am.
    rev - No, it's not hard. If I had to guess, I suspect that it's not a high priority.

Marc
    I don't mean to sound so cynical about it, but they can't even get the darned thing to fetch without turning on the screen!
    At least they support both IMAP and POP
    POP3 is an archaic mail retrieval system, and wholly unsuited for use on mobile devices, IMO; it's about as technologically advanced as a transistor radio. So I choose not to support POP3 - but if I did, I'd do it without turning on the screen.

Marc
    lmao!!!
    Marc,

I'm aware of your product, and understand that it does what it is intended to do, and does it well. But the fact remains that for a variety of reasons, many people either prefer or need an application for POP email. As such, Snapper serves that market well.

And I think it's bad form for you to be speculating on their direction, priorities and motivations, as well as entering threads with specific questions regarding SnapperMail and pluggin Chatter.
    POP3 is an archaic mail retrieval system, and wholly unsuited for use on mobile devices, IMO; it's about as technologically advanced as a transistor radio. So I choose not to support POP3 - but if I did, I'd do it without turning on the screen.

Marc
    Archaic but still used by a large majority of people, if you supported it without turning on the screen I'd buy your product tommorow.

I guess if you choose to not support it that's your loss not mine....
    Marc is just mad at them because he once posted an informative post (some would say an ad) on their yahoo group, and he was politely told he shouldn't do that by one of the developers. A little fight broke out after that.

It has been tense since.

I love the Guys over at SM, but they are a little slow in "tweaking" the software for the treo, but you can use the program without tapping on the screen. But they do make their software run on a multiple of palm devices. Unlike chatter which is only used on the treo.

And Marc you are wrong about pop. it is the best thing for limited memory devices like handhelds. The point of Imap is to have your all your email with you all the time, no matter where you are at. On a limited memory device, that isn't even feasable. Then you have to start doing things like only show me messages for x number of days. Or delete it off the device, but leave it on the server. Now you lost the main benefit of IMAP, so why not use pop?

Oh yeah, SM supports AOL.

Yes, chattermail is the best and inexpensive imap push software out there. Not everyone needs it though, don"t take it personally.

I used SM, but my boss is thinking about getting a 650. I'm going to recomend chattermail over SM, because he needs that type of always on access. I don't.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    felipe - Actually, I don't agree with the limited memory comment. The beauty of IMAP is that you don't NEED to have all your mail on the device - you can get it from the server whenever you need it. The latest beta's of Chatter have a facility for searching (filtering) through entire server folders without having to keep any of the messages on the Treo...

Look, I don't disagree that most people need POP3 service because it's all that's offered to them. I'm just saying that it's NEVER preferable to IMAP for mobile users IF there's a choice. I'm just one person who likes to write code - I don't have the time to do everything that might or could be done. I've chosen to support IMAP because it's more forward-looking and FAR more powerful than POP3; if I had the luxury of some additional programmers, I might well add POP3 support.

Marc
    I guess the fact of the matter really is that the most widely used email services like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. support POP3; hence, the reason for its popularity. The popularity, in this instance, is a function of what is offered and by whom it is offered. Consider a scenario where email giants like Yahoo, Hotmail and AOL (in its earlier days) offered IMAP remote retrieval of mail. Perhaps that landscape would be different now.

In any event, while many of us agree that POP3 may be an inferior mail protocol to IMAP the fact still remains that POP3 is more popular in overall usage. So offering POP3 as a feature doesn't necessarily mean you have to support the protocol, but rather support the public who still uses it until they migrate to IMAP.
    illustreous - I agree with you; if I had the time, I would support POP3 (as everyone who knows me will testify, I am driven almost entirely by my customer's needs). It's just a question of where to put limited resources.

BTW, my comment about push and Snapper wasn't intended as a slap at their abilities, but rather a comment about their priorities. Snapper supports a wide range of platforms, and they are moving toward the support of other operating systems (beyond Palm OS). Any "online" or extended background feature would necessarily be limited to a small number of phones; I just don't see that as fitting their plans, at least until OS 6 is used in phones.

Marc
    Agreed, Marc. And I think the drive behind your customers' needs is what every developer should have. Everyone can attest to your abilities and the fine job you've done with Chatter. Additionally, you would not have continued to grow Chatter unless you felt a critical mass was there (for a "push" IMAP solution).
    illustreous - Actually, I built Chatter for myself originally, and IMAP was what I needed. There are enough people using IMAP that a small amount of momentum has been built, but it's still a small niche. I think that, over time, IMAP will increasingly displace POP3, but that it will be a slow process.

The good news, from my point of view, is that the large majority of POP3 users can get their mail funnelled into fastmail or fusemail and then take advantage of IMAP that way.

Marc
  19.    #19  
    Marc I believe you have a great product, I used it for a few days, it worked well, except the battery issue & I believe you've fixed that. But I use AOL. Yes, I know "AOL" but I've had that e-mail for years, so I need to have it. Yes SnapperMail offers this, so that's why I use it, plus it was free, thanks to Sprint keep up the good work, Marc.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter