Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else have a treo 650 that wakes up periodically without prompting?

I had my treo sitting out on my desk at work when I noticed that it wakes up on its own (screen and keypad lights up) every so often. Usually it only stays on for 10 seconds or so, but sometimes it will stay on for several minutes (despite my auto off after 60 seconds setting). There have been occasions where I've shut it off after it's been on for like five minutes (who knows how long it would stay on for). In fact; as if on queue - it just came on right now -

As much as I'd like to believe that I'm waking it up by simply thinking about it, I doubt that's the case and I'm concerned that this is impacting my battery life and just sucking in general. Also, I've had it for a few weeks now so I'm no longer thinking of it every minute of the day, so there goes the psychic energy theory.

I do not autosync email and as far as I know, the only thing that might "phone home" at regular interevals is network time (which is enabled) and of course HLR updates (home location registry) like any phone. This does not happen at regular intervals. It doesn't seem to matter which application I was using last when this happens - it just wakes up to whatever screen I was on last - as if I'd pressed the power button.

:: Curious whether any other 650 users experience this...
    :: Workaround?
    Sprint Treo's do that when they go in and out of roaming mode.
    i did a search and didn't find much except for the fact that we're not alone.

my 650 sits at my desk and then ocassionally beeps (screen doesn't turn on).

at home, my 650 sits next to my partner's 650. mine doesn't make any noises all night, but 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night the other 650 will beep and the screen comes on....which then scares the dogs waking them up, making them think it's time to go out and then waking me up.

i have yet to figure out why or find the "final verdict" to why this happens. especially since it happens to one phone and not the other, yet during the day it happens to mine. (???scratches head wondering???).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzo
    if it's sitting still (from 10 minutes to almost 3-4 hours) how can it go in and out of roaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus
    if it's sitting still (from 10 minutes to almost 3-4 hours) how can it go in and out of roaming?
    signal strength change?

wind shear?

Celestial event?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    On the Sprint Treo, it could also be connected to having the "Enable Local Network Time" turned on under Date & Time preferences.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    On the Sprint Treo, it could also be connected to having the "Enable Local Network Time" turned on under Date & Time preferences.
    I turned off my network time and the phone hasn't exhibited this behavior since yesterday afternoon. This is great - however... The reason I enabled it in the first place was because my treo looses time (a few minutes each day).

Is there anything I can do about this? I am not running any overclocking or anything like that.
    You no what's stange I had my T650 and T600 side by side and though the night I would notice them flash on and off almost at the same time...strange...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0gage
    however... The reason I enabled it in the first place was because my treo looses time (a few minutes each day). Is there anything I can do about this?
    BackupBuddy includes a small TimeSync application that sets your PDA's time to that of your PC. I have disabled network time, and keep my clock updated by that means instead. Timesync may be available as a standalone app if you don't want to shell out for BackupBuddy- check out www.bluenomad.com
    every day.. 3:30 am mine wakes up. Some nights i notice, when I am up at my desk that late. I think of it as a reminder to stop playing Half life 2 or Counter Strike

-b
    Mine wakes up periodically too.. I will try to turn off the network time sync and see if that makes a diff. I notice it when I've used the Palm and then set it down. It will wake up for a few seconds for a little while after I've set it down. Then it appears to calm down and not wake up so much (or at all?).

I don't think this explains the periodic powering on, but the 3AM thing could be due to something like DateBk5. I remember this would wakeup my old Palm in the night to move my floating events forward and do other housekeeping. Are you running that program?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus
    i have yet to figure out why or find the "final verdict" to why this happens. especially since it happens to one phone and not the other, yet during the day it happens to mine. (???scratches head wondering???).
    Well, then this seems to be hitting GSM and CDMA models equally. Have you guys got different applications installed on the two 650's? Different firmware/ROM levels? Perhaps with one that does and another that doesn't do this we can perhaps narrow the search for a culprit.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Mine (GSM) does this on occasion - in fact I saw it this morning. But it is very rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzo
    Who told you that ? I switch between Sprint and roam A LOT at home and mine NEVER lights up.
    Quote Originally Posted by fl00d_pr0z
    Who told you that ?
    I've seen it first hand. When in a low or no-coverage area, the Treo will wake up whenever it searches for a signal. This is regardless of the Network Time and Digital Roaming settings. Mine did it out of the box and after the 1.08 update. I have not seen it yet under 1.12.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    mine does it (unlocked gsm with cingular chip)
    i have network time disabled, bluetooth off, and it will turn on randomly just sitting on the counter.
    i still don't know why.
    Again, my Treo switches from Sprint to roam VERY often at home. It NEVER turns on during this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    This problem has been fixed in the new Sprint 1.12 ROM. This wakeup can be attributed to many things. Mostly applications that wakeup because of an alarm will trigger the screen to turn on. If you load an application called "PalmInternals", it will show you the list of all applications that have set alarms and the times those alarms will trigger. For the most part, every one of these programs will wake up the Treo when the alarm triggers. The architecture in the 650 no longer allows the "don't turn on the screen alarms" like the 600 did.

If you find the KB lights coming on while the Treo is asleep after installing a new ROM that supports dimming, this is probably caused by a program running in the background that attempts to adjust the screen brightness. In the new ROM's that support KB dimming, every attempt to adjust the screen brightness causes the KB light to come on.

Jeff
    Just had my Treo turn on last night in the middle of the night. I noticed it at 4:30-ish but who knows when it actually happened -- probably 3:30 like everyone else's. My keyboard lights stayed on and I found that I had dropped about 10% power by the time I noticed it and turned the device off manually.

I'm using a GSM Treo 650 (Rogers) with the 1.13 ROM update.
    I have not internal alarms, my phone/radio is off, network time is always off, and I still get random screen lighting up and turning back off again (10 seconds or so, a I have it set to tunr screen off after 10 seconds of on-use) - This is particularly irritating at night...only "new" install is ChatterEmail....ideas?
    Charliec
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast