1.    #1  
    Had this thing for 3 days and I love it, except for the fact that I can no longer connect to the web nor can I use Versamail. My system doesnt reset, it simply tells me that I'm unable to establish PPP connection right after it tells me GPRS connection not available. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've tried a hard reset but no luck.
    I have the same experience, but only when I try to connect to VersaMail. My web connection works perfectly. I'm using the WEB application that came with the phone (BLAZER, I believe). I have another thread opened asking about the PPP issue. If I get a response, I will let you know. I may just call CINGULAR TECH SUPPORT to see if they have an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhw311
    it simply tells me that I'm unable to establish PPP connection right after it tells me GPRS connection not available.
    First things first - does your signal strength meter show the small black triangle that indicates that a GPRS connection is available?

Next, try connecting from within the Network Preferences screen. This will get the web/mail application out of the picture and isolate the problem to the network connectivity itself. You can also check your network settings to see if they haven't gotten screwed up. I believe the 650 gets them from the SIM, where they're placed over the air by your carrier, so a call to them may be all that's needed.
  4.    #4  
    Yep, the signal meter shows full. I've tried going to the Network options and connecting from there, but I still get the same result. It does say "Locked" at the bottom however and if I click on "Modify" and unlock it then it creates a copy of "Cingular GPRS" and still doesnt connect to it.

This part you said is interesting though "I believe the 650 gets them from the SIM, where they're placed over the air by your carrier, so a call to them may be all that's needed." When I click on "Card Info" icon I get the message "No card inserted" when it is. Maybe Cingular needs to reset my card?
    No, the "Card Info" app is for SD memory cards, not your SIM. But you didn't answer my question about the signal meter - regardless of how many bars you have, you also need to see a small black triangle (if GSM) or a couple of gray arrows (I think) if Sprint, above the bars. This indicates the availability of a GPRS (data) service. If you don't see that indicator, then you're never going to get online, and you need to contact your carrier to find out if the problem is at your end or theirs.
  6.    #6  
    Ahh, gotcha. Well, the signal meter shows full and I do see the black triangle for the Edge network that works with Cingular.
  7.    #7  
    I also meant to add that under "Sim Services" it says "Either there are no Sim Services provided by your mobile operator or there was an error when talking to your sim." Would that have any affect?
  8.    #8  
    Called Cingular tech support and it looks like the issue was that somehow text messaging got turned off on my service plan. According to tech support you have to have this enabled, which I did originally, in order to access the network. It's all working now and tech support was extremely helpful and knowledgable. At least this girl was!
    Great, glad you got it sorted out. For the record, Sim Services says the same thing on my Cingular 650, too.
    Oddly enough, I solved this problem by doing a soft reset. VersaMail connects now without an issue.

My Network Preferences are:
    SERVICE: Cingular GPRS
    CONNECTION: GPRS
    USER NAME: WAP@CINGULAR.COM
    PASSWORD: Cingular1
    APN: wap.cingular

Good luck.