1.    #1  
    I received my first unlocked Treo 650 about 2 weeks ago. I liked the unit, and found that having all my contacts and calendar and email available was useful. Unfortunately, it had multiple resets and was generating an error: "“HALRadioAcDc.c,Line:441, Host wake not asserted in time” which Palm Tech Support identified as a hardware issue. They sent me a replacement unit which I received yesterday which has the updated firmware (1.15). By 2 pm today, the new unit already had three resets, each one generating the same error message. Palm is now sending a third unit.

I really want to like the Treo. It is a very handy device. But, the reality for me is that its primary purpose is as a phone. And as a phone, it sucks.

(1) It is hard to dial.
    (2) The handset earpiece volume is absurdly low.
    (3) The speakerphone is barely audible, and basically useless.
    (4) My Motorola HS850 headset, which works great with my MOTO v551, does not play nicely with the Treo. The Treo does not reconnect with it after a call is terminated and a second call is made. Thus, you have to hit the earpiece button to make the connection. It may sound simple, but trust me, it is not. it is a major pain in the ***.
    (5) Reception on the 650 is far poorer than my V551.
    (6) I am constantly hanging up on people accidentally by pressing the hang up button on the screen.

My Moto v551 may not have been a very good email/web/contacts and calendar manager appliance, but it did what it did extremely well: It is great at being a phone. The Treo, on the other hand, is just marginal at being a phone.

My main interest, and I suspect most people's main interest, is in a phone. I would think that the most important function for most people is the phone function, and the other functions are slightly secondary.

The bottom line is that it is annoying to make calls with the Treo, and difficult to do while driving. It is easy on the Moto V551.

I will get the third one and hope it resolves the constant reset issues, and maybe the volume issues (although I am doubtful). I am realy hoping that with all these replacements, Palm sends me one too many, or forgets to make me send one back, and I can get a free one to sell on eBay.

Anyway, I just felt like ranting a little, to see if anything I said rang true with others. I think the Treo could be a great device if they got the phone issues sorted out. I am willing to live with the keys speced close together which makes it hard to dial as a phone, because that is a worthwhile tradeoff to get the full keyboard in a pretty small form factor. But, the phone has to work better, and more reliably, and be audible, and not reboot, and connect properly to BT headsets, etc.

Maybe I ask too much. I like devices that just work...like the iPod. Elegant, simple, and it just works. Maybe that is too much to ask from the Treo, which is trying to be many different things, but I think Palm could have done a better job getting a major compnent to function well: the phone.

Thought?
    I think you have made some good points (which have been made before). Hopefully the rumored firmware release will fix some things. People have choices; buy it/dont buy it...keep it/return it.

For those that have issues...some can look past it and justify the purchase. I can't so I am waiting for the next model.
    Interesting read. I personally have had my 650 for about 20 hours. 4 resets. ALL during load of beta software. I do not fault the device in any of this. I have pretty good reception. I look forward to the patch that will fix the known reception / sound issues. aside from that I am quite happy. I moved to sprint from tmobile and I think it will be a matter of finding out what differences there are in the service.

The most interesting is the "elegant" "simple" ipod.

Pardon me, I had to briefly laugh there. My ipod in the same period has reset 7 times. I went through 3 of them (3g 40gb) before getting to this one. I still love my ipod in the same way I think I will likely love the 650. Coming from my nokia 3650, the volume is so high its insane. the 3650 was virtually silent.

When all's said and done, I went to the grocery store tonight, got an email with a link to a new site i'm having designed, opened it in blazer, noted the element I didnt like, emailed the designer back and the fix was done by the time I got home. At the same time, one of my servers has an application that can lock up / memory geek and I was able to SSH into it and restart the process before the checkout lady had even gotten through my $50 in groceries. That saved me 30 minutes of stress right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocka
    . I am realy hoping that with all these replacements, Palm sends me one too many, or forgets to make me send one back, and I can get a free one to sell on eBay.

Thought?
    Yes, here is a thought: Don't make public that you are really hoping to commit a crime.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I'm going to get a replacement Treo 650 on Saturday (which is one week after I got the original). My service is Rogers Wireless in Canada, purchased from Radioshack. Lots of resets over the last week, took me quite a while to track down some informative posts, and then most of them happened to be on PalmOne's web site, which is reassuring, I guess. When I enter #*377 after a crash and reset, I get the system log error: while running Phone: HALRadioAcDc.c., Line: 441, Host wake not asserted in time. There is a short thread on the PalmOne web site that discusses this some (see the thread "Unit Frezzing and Auto Reseting Several times a Day" in the Expertise Exchange), and I've found a few similar post related to the Treo 600. The consensus seems to be that it is a hardware problem and requires replacing the phone. However, there are still relatively few posts that I can find, so I'm not sure there is enough yet to call it a consensus.

Not sure if it is a related problem, but I also sometimes experience very slow responses, phone takes many seconds to respond to a key press and I have to do a manual soft reset to fix it. I've already posted some of this to another thread on TreoCentral. I'll let you know how the new phone works. I really want it to work because I like the Treo 650 a lot. I upgraded from Treo 180 to Treo 600 to Treo 650, and I love the 650.

Would like to hear what others are experiencing in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmshedden
    When I enter #*377 after a crash and reset, I get the system log error: while running Phone: HALRadioAcDc.c., Line: 441, Host wake not asserted in time. There is a short thread on the PalmOne web site that discusses this some (see the thread "Unit Frezzing and Auto Reseting Several times a Day" in the Expertise Exchange), and I've found a few similar post related to the Treo 600. The consensus seems to be that it is a hardware problem and requires replacing the phone. However, there are still relatively few posts that I can find, so I'm not sure there is enough yet to call it a consensus.

Not sure if it is a related problem, but I also sometimes experience very slow responses, phone takes many seconds to respond to a key press and I have to do a manual soft reset to fix it. I've already posted some of this to another thread on TreoCentral. I'll let you know how the new phone works. I really want it to work because I like the Treo 650 a lot. I upgraded from Treo 180 to Treo 600 to Treo 650, and I love the 650.

Would like to hear what others are experiencing in this regard.
    The HALRadioAcDc crash has been the subject of several threads here. PalmOne support has acknowledged that it is indeed a hardware problem, and several of us (myself included) have exchanged our faulty units. Some have had the same problem with the replacements, but have kept exchanging until they get a good one; I was lucky to get good unit on my first exchange, and I haven't had a single not-my-fault crash in a week now.

I was also experiencng the slow response problem with my previous unit, but not on the new one. Not sure if that was due to the same hardware bug or whether I have something configured slightly differently now. Are you using Datebk5, by any chance? I seem to recall that it went away just before the new unit arrived, when I disabled DB5's "Enable buttons in Alarm Dialog" option, but I haven't enabled it on the new one to test that theory yet.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Try the update or a new updated version(if you're using Sprint). Sorry, sounds like you've got a few lemons. I'm pretty picky about functionality, and I'm extremely happy w/ my 650. Hope it works out for ya
    Palm VIIx >>>Palm 505 >>>Palm Treo 650 Palm 700p >> Palm Centro >> Palm Pre
    I echo everything that Knocka says. I also have a V551 that's great as a phone. Also had two 650's that reset at least every 20 minutes w/ the infamous “HALRadioAcDc.c,Line:441, Host wake not asserted in time” crash report.

After being a Palm user since the Palm III, the 650 turned me away.

Now on my 2nd day with a BlackBerry 7250 & I LOVE IT! No crashes, it's fast, simple, and has clean interface. Works great as a phone & email device. Bluetooth actually works on it.

Best of luck to you Treo 650 people. I loved the features, but couldn't invest anymore time chasing crashes, returning the unit's, etc.

I received my first unlocked Treo 650 about 2 weeks ago. I liked the unit, and found that having all my contacts and calendar and email available was useful. Unfortunately, it had multiple resets and was generating an error: "“HALRadioAcDc.c,Line:441, Host wake not asserted in time” which Palm Tech Support identified as a hardware issue. They sent me a replacement unit which I received yesterday which has the updated firmware (1.15). By 2 pm today, the new unit already had three resets, each one generating the same error message. Palm is now sending a third unit.

I really want to like the Treo. It is a very handy device. But, the reality for me is that its primary purpose is as a phone. And as a phone, it sucks.

(1) It is hard to dial.
    (4) My Motorola HS850 headset, which works great with my MOTO v551, does not play nicely with the Treo. The Treo does not reconnect with it after a call is terminated and a second call is made. Thus, you have to hit the earpiece button to make the connection. It may sound simple, but trust me, it is not. it is a major pain in the ***.
    (6) I am constantly hanging up on people accidentally by pressing the hang up button on the screen.

My Moto v551 may not have been a very good email/web/contacts and calendar manager appliance, but it did what it did extremely well: It is great at being a phone. The Treo, on the other hand, is just marginal at being a phone.

My main interest, and I suspect most people's main interest, is in a phone. I would think that the most important function for most people is the phone function, and the other functions are slightly secondary.

The bottom line is that it is annoying to make calls with the Treo, and difficult to do while driving. It is easy on the Moto V551.

I will get the third one and hope it resolves the constant reset issues, and maybe the volume issues (although I am doubtful). I am realy hoping that with all these replacements, Palm sends me one too many, or forgets to make me send one back, and I can get a free one to sell on eBay.

Anyway, I just felt like ranting a little, to see if anything I said rang true with others. I think the Treo could be a great device if they got the phone issues sorted out. I am willing to live with the keys speced close together which makes it hard to dial as a phone, because that is a worthwhile tradeoff to get the full keyboard in a pretty small form factor. But, the phone has to work better, and more reliably, and be audible, and not reboot, and connect properly to BT headsets, etc.

Maybe I ask too much. I like devices that just work...like the iPod. Elegant, simple, and it just works. Maybe that is too much to ask from the Treo, which is trying to be many different things, but I think Palm could have done a better job getting a major compnent to function well: the phone.

Thought?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I was also experiencng the slow response problem with my previous unit, but not on the new one. Not sure if that was due to the same hardware bug or whether I have something configured slightly differently now. Are you using Datebk5, by any chance? I seem to recall that it went away just before the new unit arrived, when I disabled DB5's "Enable buttons in Alarm Dialog" option, but I haven't enabled it on the new one to test that theory yet.
    I got the slow response behaviour yesterday after removing everything with a hard reset that morning. I renamed my backup directory and only copied back the basics. I was in the middle of a text message, keyboard responding well, then bam without any warning it started taking 10 or more seconds to respond to a keypress. Soft reset fixed it but my text message was gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
    Now on my 2nd day with a BlackBerry 7250 & I LOVE IT! No crashes, it's fast, simple, and has clean interface. Works great as a phone & email device. Bluetooth actually works on it.
    Glad the BB fits the bill for you. Me, I want/need the PalmOS platform for all the other stuff I had on my previous PDA's.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    (1) It is hard to dial.
    (1) Sounds like a personal problem
    (2) The Sprint earpiece is quite loud after the update
    (3) The Sprint speakerphone volume is very loud after the update
    (4) Never used that one, but my AX works well
    (5) Reception on the Sprint version is better than most of their other phones
    (6) Turn on the screen protection while you're in a call
  12.    #12  
    I thought I would provide an update:

I have received the new/refurbished replacement, have been using it for almost two weeks, and I must say it has been better than my first two. I had one reset with the infamous HALRadio message, but have decided that I don;t believe it is a hardware issue (or, if it is, it can also be generated by a software issue). The error occurred, after several problem free days, the morning after I installed KBLightsOff. Maybe that is a coincidence, but I removed KB anyway and have had no more of the HAL errors.

I have, however, had a couple (once every 2-2 days or so), resets. One was Versamail, and I forget the other.

Also, I get phone freezes, where the buttons do not respond at all, then, after a minute, it revives A few times a soft reset was necessary. I have a suspicion it may be related to the BlueTooth headset. I think the BT is terrible on the Treo.

I continue to think it is not a very good phone, and difficult to dial. I actually went to look at a Blackberry 7100G. It is a very nice phone. Screen not as nice, and a different user interface. It is realy an email appliance. But, it does email very well, and seems to me to be a very good phone. The SureType is very accurate, and allows a "normal" phone keypad, as well as a "full" QWERTY keyboard.

But, $45.00 for unlimited BB data with Cingular is far more than $20 for unlimited MediaWork (I am grandfathered). And the BB s far more limited. I am tempted though.

In sum, I think the Treo does a lot of things, but none of them really well. It may be the best all-in-one device out there, but it is not the best at doing any single thing (phone, email, etc.) that it does, IMHO.

Knocka
    so far, good, not one reset in the last 24 hours of testing my new replacement Treo 650. I've even installed almost all of the extra apps, and repeatedly tested by pressing all the keys that used to cause the HALRadio reset. I'm almost starting to breath normally while I do this.