Hello,

I'm interested in a Treo 650 but have a few questions.

I only want the Treo for it's data capabilities and never intend to use the phone. Are there any carriers that provide an unlimited data-only plan? Also, I'm living in Canada but have a US address that I can use if need be. I understand that the data portion of the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick will work anywhere in North America, does the Treo operate the same way? Meaning that I could potentially get a Treo 650 when I'm in America next time and simply use the device in Canada without any "long distance" fees?

Thank you
    Well, I found out that Cingular has a data only plan, but can anyone confirm whether using a USA bought Treo in Canada works without any extra fees (data only)?

Thank you
    Nobody can confirm whether the Treo with an unlimited bundle can be used both in USA and Canada without extra charges?
    I know my unlocked 600 w/cingular SIM worked fine for data and voice about 15km into Canada (Fort Frances). That's all I can confirm, however.

Todd/Indy
    If you are signed up on a US carrier and you are on a Canadian network...I am quite certain you will be charged roaming fees. Be it for voice or data.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk here...but I think you are not getting many responses, because your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

To my knowledge there are no carriers that would offer unlimited data North American wide. There are not even carriers operating in the US that are also operating in Canada.
    thanks tbhausen/treo-mike.

Treo-mike, I would be inclined to agree with your comment about unlimited NA data, but the reason I ask is because Fido in Canada _does_ allow unlimited data in North America. The problem is that Fido doesn't have a Treo, just Hiptop. Carriers in Canada that do carry the Treo offer it at a ridiculously overpriced cost basically making it an unviable option for most except business users. All the while US Treo users are fortunate enough to have a reasonably inexpensive unlimited data plan for the Treo.

Curses. .
    Fido should release the 650, eventually. I'm pretty certain an unlocked 650 would be fine with an appropriately-subscribed SIM.

Todd/Indy
    Perhaps, but I don't have much faith that Fido wouldn't just follow the same route that Rogers / Bell have by pricing the Treo out of the sky. $100 / 100MB is just absurd.
    Fido offers all their data plans with or without phone service. with no phone plan you pay the system access fee of $6.95 plus the plan rate. there is no roaming fee for data. its the same rate as your currently subscribed plan. so unlimited is for all of US and Canada. its clearly explained in the traveling with Fido section of their website. I'm on the Fido unlimited plan with a US bought Treo 650 unlocked. works great.
    meanmusic, where do you see that Fido offers all their data plans without phone service? I've called numerous times and had it confirmed on forums that this is not possible.

Are you talking about the $50 unlimited data plan?

What sort of Treo 600/650 should I be looking for (aside from unlocked) that would allow me to use this plan? Where did you get your Treo?
    Fido's unlimited GPRS data plan for 50.00 + 6.95 (system access fee) works on my Treo and my PCMCIA laptop card. I haven't been charged yet for over usage (~5MB/day) and it covers all of Canada and the US. No contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by cscs
    meanmusic, where do you see that Fido offers all their data plans without phone service? I've called numerous times and had it confirmed on forums that this is not possible.

Are you talking about the $50 unlimited data plan?

What sort of Treo 600/650 should I be looking for (aside from unlocked) that would allow me to use this plan? Where did you get your Treo?
    The info is here: http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/package...packages.shtml

Under GPRS access packages "If you subscribe to a fast Mobile Internet package alone (without subscribing to a voice package), a system access fee of $6.95 applies."

I bought my unlocked Treo 650 direct from Palm. You need an unlocked version to use it on Fido's network since they don't sell it yet. Only an unlocked Treo will accept their SIM card.
    redcap/meanmusic, thank you for the information. How do you find the service speeds to be? Any other impressions of the Treo on your Fido?

redcap, I would just need a GPRS PCMCIA card for that to work, yeah? You just use a specific account/pwd to access the GPRS service?

Thank you
    In regards to speed. You should be aware...the 650 supports Edge, which is much faster than regular GPRS. Rogers has Edge, Fido does not. So while your 650 data will work, it will not be as fast as it could be.