Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    My T-mobile sim is a Gemplus model. I have been experiencing random and numerous resets since day one. I have an unlocked 650. The resets occur with or without 3rd party aps as well as after a hard reset.

    T-mobile has no clue. P1 tech support doesn't answer their phones, etc. You guys the know the story......

    Any other Treo users experiencing this issue with T-mobile Gemplus sims?? Or have any of you solved this problem by switching thoer T-MOBILE sim?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    How do you know you have a Gemplus SIM? I looked at my T-Mo SIM and there isn't any letter marking (like "G" with the Cingular Gemplus SIMs).

    I was wondering if some of my random issues are related to a bad SIM...I got my SIM from T-Mobile about 2.5 years ago..
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    How do you know you have a Gemplus SIM? I looked at my T-Mo SIM and there isn't any letter marking (like "G" with the Cingular Gemplus SIMs).

    I was wondering if some of my random issues are related to a bad SIM...I got my SIM from T-Mobile about 2.5 years ago..
    My sim says gemplus on it. I received my sim card 14 months ago. I guess it couldn't hurt to change cards.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by petemeister
    My sim says gemplus on it. I received my sim card 14 months ago. I guess it couldn't hurt to change cards.
    Hmm...I guess T-Mobile completely changed SIM card manufacturers or they decided to start stamping the make onto the SIM card. Do you know if T-Mobile will charge me for a new SIM card? Either way, you're right, it can't hurt to get a new one.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by petemeister
    My sim says gemplus on it. I received my sim card 14 months ago. I guess it couldn't hurt to change cards.
    how do i change a card?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    how do i change a card?
    I phoned T-Mo on an unrelated issue (problems with T-Mo / Telcel in Mexico) and they suggested I get a new SIM chip. They stated I should replace it every 2 years or so (I don't believe it). Anyway they said they'd mail me one for $25.00 and I promptly asked to be transferred to someone who could cancel my account. "Uh...hold on sir..uh..actually..since you've been a customer for a while (18 months) we'll go ahead and ship this to you free of charge". Go figure.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    I phoned T-Mo on an unrelated issue (problems with T-Mo / Telcel in Mexico) and they suggested I get a new SIM chip. They stated I should replace it every 2 years or so (I don't believe it). Anyway they said they'd mail me one for $25.00 and I promptly asked to be transferred to someone who could cancel my account. "Uh...hold on sir..uh..actually..since you've been a customer for a while (18 months) we'll go ahead and ship this to you free of charge". Go figure.
    Oh, nice...so, I'm gonna call them and see if they'll ship one to me free of charge, too.

    I've been with T-Mo for 2+ years.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    I phoned T-Mo on an unrelated issue (problems with T-Mo / Telcel in Mexico) and they suggested I get a new SIM chip. They stated I should replace it every 2 years or so (I don't believe it). Anyway they said they'd mail me one for $25.00 and I promptly asked to be transferred to someone who could cancel my account. "Uh...hold on sir..uh..actually..since you've been a customer for a while (18 months) we'll go ahead and ship this to you free of charge". Go figure.

    cross your finger that they didn't extend your contract for another year
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  9. #9  
    I changed my card out last week. I was still using my VoiceStream sim card. I had random resets, so I figure I'd swap out my card. It was painless, just drop by your local t-mobile dealer (not a reseller), and they'll swap it out for you on the spot, free. They'll also dup the info on the old sim to the new sim so you won't loose any info. I've had much less resets, if at all since I did the swap.

    The rep did mention that u'd have better reception with the voicestream cards over the new t-mobile cards tho. Dunno if that's true :dunno:
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    cross your finger that they didn't extend your contract for another year
    Nope.
  11. #11  
    adding to the confusion i thought the problems were only with 64k gemplus...if you have a 32k gemplus i thought it wouldn't matter at all....
  12.    #12  
    Update:

    Exchanged my old T-mobile sim (gemplus) for a new one. The new sim does not have a manufacturer name stamped on it. So far (9 hours) no resets. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
  13. #13  
    I am having multiple resets using Tmobile (one year old sim). My sim does not mention its made by Gemplus. Has anyone else experienced fewer resets by replacing the sim?
  14. #14  
    T-Mobile generally uses SIMs from Giesecke & Devrient - they are a German manufacturer and since T-Mobile came from Deutshe Telekom, well you figure it out. Your "newer" SIM will likely have a very small GD marked on it.

    I am using a two week old GD SIM in my unlocked GSM 650. I have many of the same reset issues as many of you and would defniely like to trade notes here. First of all I never had any of the issues the Cingular folks complained about like lost voicemail numbers, etc. I've gone through two 650's with the same SIM - one had the HALRadio....Line:441... issue and went back - it reset constantly - my other 650 resets every once in a while and it gets taxed since I run Good and I get 100's of emails a day. At this point I've convinced myself that apps that chew through memory like Good, coupled with NVFS just make for a slightly unstable combo at this point - I don't think I'm having specific SIM problems.

    Please - others report in.

    ps - I started a thread here but nobody chimed in.Link
  15. #15  
    I hear you. About 90% of my resets are caused by Goodlink. The other 10% are caused by Phone. This is so annoying.
  16. #16  
    GoodLink is not causing your resets. Part of the issue with TMOB is they are not officially supporting the 650 with or without GoodLink
  17. #17  
    Goodguy, Goodlink IS causing the resets. That is what the reset diagnostic reads. Also, it is the only third party application I have installed. If I uninstall Goodlink my phone works just fine.

    I tried doing a hard reset and then switching sim cards with my wife. She has an account with Cingular. Same result: multiple resets caused by Goodlink. Dont get me wrong, I love Goodlink, it is just that it is frustrating that it causes my phone to crash more than 10 times a day.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    GoodLink is not causing your resets. Part of the issue with TMOB is they are not officially supporting the 650 with or without GoodLink
    T-mobile supports the GSM Treo 600 right? A GSM phone should work with any SIM and any carrier - however, in real life I agree that certain phone/SIM combinations cause problems as we have already seen with the 650. But this should be be pretty easy to figure out - either t-mo SIMs work or they don't in the 650.

    The EDGE or GPRS connection is essentially like an always-on Internet connection. Mine works fine and reliably on T-mo.

    Saying Goodlink won't work because T-mo doesn't support the 650 implies two things:
    1) Then Good should work perfectly on Cingular since they "support" the 650
    2) If/when T-mo announces that they now officially support the 650 my Goodlink should then start working perfectly on T-mo.

    Does that make any sense?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancho
    Goodguy, Goodlink IS causing the resets. That is what the reset diagnostic reads. Also, it is the only third party application I have installed. If I uninstall Goodlink my phone works just fine.

    I tried doing a hard reset and then switching sim cards with my wife. She has an account with Cingular. Same result: multiple resets caused by Goodlink. Dont get me wrong, I love Goodlink, it is just that it is frustrating that it causes my phone to crash more than 10 times a day.
    I can tell you we have literally 1000's of users using the 650 with GoodLink and we are not seeing this issue regularly. I know the Gemplus card has been causing some heartaches for TMOB as well as Cingular. You can see people reporting the SIM issue causing the exact same issues where GoodLink is never mentioned:
    http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000395.php

    http://www.corante.com/unwired/archi..._650_users.php
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 03/29/2005 at 09:44 AM.
  20. twebst's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #20  
    I am using my old Voicestream card and am having no reset problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions