Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroot
    T-mobile supports the GSM Treo 600 right? A GSM phone should work with any SIM and any carrier - however, in real life I agree that certain phone/SIM combinations cause problems as we have already seen with the 650. But this should be be pretty easy to figure out - either t-mo SIMs work or they don't in the 650.

The EDGE or GPRS connection is essentially like an always-on Internet connection. Mine works fine and reliably on T-mo.

Saying Goodlink won't work because T-mo doesn't support the 650 implies two things:
    1) Then Good should work perfectly on Cingular since they "support" the 650
    2) If/when T-mo announces that they now officially support the 650 my Goodlink should then start working perfectly on T-mo.

Does that make any sense?
    1) Again, we have literally 1000's of users on Cingular with no problems outside of the known SIM card issues. Sure, there are issues with certain users in certain environments, but we are not seeing anything that would be considered epidemic.

2) It is not when TMOB announces support for the device, it is when we certify the device on TMOB. Because of the tweaks that carriers do to the OS, we certify GoodLink on the device in our labs before we say "yes, GoodLink will work as advertised"

Believe me, I wish that we worked 100% of the time for 100% of our customers. We try.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I can tell you we have literally 1000's of users using the 650 with GoodLink and we are not seeing this issue regularly.
    Most users of 650s on T-mo are using unlocked GSM 650s straight from P1, which have a different ROM/firmware image from the GSM phones from Cingular.

So there are at least two key variables: 1) The SIM, and 2) The ROM/Firmware.

In my humble opinion, the SIM is the minor one - I think the unlocked GSM version straight from Palm is buggy - the device simply isn't stable (I've tried three of them) and somehow Good exacerbates the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroot
    Most users of 650s on T-mo are using unlocked GSM 650s straight from P1, which have a different ROM/firmware image from the GSM phones from Cingular.

So there are at least two key variables: 1) The SIM, and 2) The ROM/Firmware.

In my humble opinion, the SIM is the minor one - I think the unlocked GSM version straight from Palm is buggy - the device simply isn't stable (I've tried three of them) and somehow Good exacerbates the issue.
    That very well may be true. As I said before, one of the reasons we certify the phones from the carriers before announcing support is for that exact reason that the carriers tweak with the OS and ROM before releasing the phone.
    I have an ancient EONS sim (over 3 years old) on T-Mo and I am getting resets like nobody's business.

Would a new sim likely fix this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae
    I changed my card out last week. I was still using my VoiceStream sim card. I had random resets, so I figure I'd swap out my card. It was painless, just drop by your local t-mobile dealer (not a reseller), and they'll swap it out for you on the spot, free. They'll also dup the info on the old sim to the new sim so you won't loose any info. I've had much less resets, if at all since I did the swap.

The rep did mention that u'd have better reception with the voicestream cards over the new t-mobile cards tho. Dunno if that's true :dunno:

Hmmm... I just called and they said I'd have to pay for it (but they said they couldn't send it to me - I'd have to go to a store). I've been a customer for some time, perfect credit, etc., etc.
    Read my earlier two posts. Give'm hell and they'll give in. You can be nice but be firm regarding your loyalty to T-Mo. Tell them you can get a free SIM by switching service providers. It's their choice.
    The problem is I'm currently on contract. Usually I do try to strongarm them to get phone upgrades, etc., but right now I don't have a lot of leverage. I'll give it another shot.
    Update: success! I called in and told them that I kept getting errors with my sim (network search, couldn't find network on multiple phones although other T-Mo users could). Hopefully this will fix my woes. I give T-Mo enough money every month that one lousy piece of plastic and silicon shouldn't hurt them too much.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I had to swap out the TM GD SIM yesterday due to provisioning issues (at least that's what the tech told me). I walked into a company store where I just bought a V600 for my wife & a SK2 for my daughter, all in the past 60 days. One employee there is very nice, he spent lots of time checking out my MPx220 & JAM but unfortunately he was off.

I asked the manager about the SIM swap, he told me that SIM's are not covered by TM, and replacement must be purchased, though he could sort of "throw" it in if I were to buy a charger for my "Treo" (he insisted the 600 would work). I thought it was nuts, the SIM is what my handset needs to use their serive in the first place. He then looked up my info and found out I have 4 accounts under my name, as I was walking out he asked me to wait for his associate, another lady ran a bunch of entries thru her system and handed me a new SIM. So it can be overidden.

She could have left it there and I would have been a happy camper, except she said, "Oh, that's not a 600, since the 650 hasn't passed quality testing, your 650 might have damaged the SIM". While the unbranded 650 GSM might be truly lacking in the Q/A department, but it might have damaged the SIM? What a load of BS!

She then told me to "remember" the manager when I need another phone, I told her no problem as soon as TMo has something to sell me, have they looked at Cingular lately in terms of device offerings?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12