Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I don't see the connection here.

There is no gurantee that Sprint will have the memory firmware fix before anyone else. (There have only been "rumors".)

And even if Sprint Treos do get a memory firmware fix first that would leave others without. Since that issue exist in all Treo 650s.

The memory fix is a different and seperate issue from the Cingular issue. I don't think that patch release times for totally different and seperate issues can be connected.

PalmOne is working on these patches and for whatever reason they've got the Cingular patch out and are still working on the memory issue.

I don't see this as "Sprint" having to release patches, it is PalmOne that is doing the patches.
    GreatIsaacs - I would've thought Sprint would have their update out first as well, but if you look at the Cingular updater details at http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ilUpdater.html , their not doing anything but fixing the sim card issue.

Given that means all the BT, volume, sound quality issues will remain. I think both Cingular and Sprint are weezing and panting at the back of the pack. Since PalmOne has been fairly silent, I'm not sure who to blame. I love my Treo, but am getting frustrated at the delays.

I'm not holding out any hope for a significant memory fix. Their might be some slight optimizations, but I find it hard to believe it will be a significant change.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatIssacs
    Sprint is weezing and panting at the back of the pack. Good luck Sprint, Keep it up and you'll soon become another cellular statistic.
    They added 1.58 million new customers in 2004. If 100 angry treocentral 650 owners drop it, it's still 1.58 million added. They don't even calculate things down to that many decimal points. If the 650 causes too much grief for Sprint, they'll drop it, and it will not cause even the tiniest blip for the company.
    tomvb2000,
    The update for Cingular is not a full ROM update. It only fixes a specific problem, like the roaming fix for Sprint Treos. We are all waiting for the ROM update that will address some of the other problems in the Sprint phones.
    Zane
    zandiver - exactly. That's what I meant by "all the BT, volume, sound quality issues will remain.". Sure, the Sprint roaming patch and the Cingular patch fix a couple of issues, but neither is the major patch we are all hoping to come out in our lifetimes.

My point to GreatIsaacs was that neither Cingular nor Sprint are any better or worse than each other on this issue. If they are both waiting for PalmOne to release the patches, they are completely equal and it's PalmOne that we should be frustrated with.
    I've been following the Cingular Firmware Upgrade Thread as well........ If I remember correctly, Sprint released the Treo 650 a good thirty to forty five days ahead of Cingular. One would think that Sprint would have a head start in solving firmware issues. Take note all potential new customers, this is an excellent testament as to which company will be technologically competant and responsive enough to solve your problems in the future.

Sprint is weezing and panting at the back of the pack. Good luck Sprint, Keep it up and you'll soon become another cellular statistic.
    I was thinking about this earlier and I think it's due to the following:
    Palmone are the ones developing this device.
    As far as I know, they all use the GSM version. (at least that's all I saw at the roadshows.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    I was thinking about this earlier and I think it's due to the following:
    Palmone are the ones developing this device.
    As far as I know, they all use the GSM version. (at least that's all I saw at the roadshows.)
    At the Dallas roadshow, the presenter (I forgot his name) was using a Sprint 650, but it was colored like a GSM 600. It was light silver without the blue border around the screen.
    I've been following the Cingular Firmware Upgrade Thread as well........ If I remember correctly, Sprint released the Treo 650 a good thirty to forty five days ahead of Cingular. One would think that Sprint would have a head start in solving firmware issues. Take note all potential new customers, this is an excellent testament as to which company will be technologically competant and responsive enough to solve your problems in the future.

Right. I agree with you 100%. That's why in the near future the GSM companies are going to adopt W-CDMA and UMTS, which are future variants of the technology Sprint uses. Not to mention, Sprint was the first US carrier with a camera phone, a megapixel camera phone, and soon to have the first multimegapixel camera (Samsung A800 w/2 MP camera). Just because Cingular/ATT uses a technology that is more widespread than Sprint doesn't mean they're more technologically competent and responsive enough to solve your problems.

I agree that Sprint has screwed up in the past, but to say they're not technologically competent wreaks of ignorance.

I believe an upgrade to fix memory issues and others will be released by PalmOne for all variants of the phone at the same time, as they are the ones who will have to develop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I don't see the connection here.

There is no gurantee that Sprint will have the memory firmware fix before anyone else. (There have only been "rumors".)

And even if Sprint Treos do get a memory firmware fix first that would leave others without. Since that issue exist in all Treo 650s.
    Darnell: The thread started as a discussion of a Sprint Firmware upgrade addressing; sound quality, memory, patches and versamail. I agree that memory issues need to be addressed by Palm for all carriers, not to mention versamail issues.

Shadowmite with Faisel's help provided the Custom Rom's to hack Sprint Sound quality issues MONTHS ago. These sound quality issues are serious and I pay good money for their service. It is proven that new code solves the problem, why should I, three months down the road, have to hack Sprint's phone when the code exists. I did a search for Cingular Sound Quality issues, I found little to nothing. Cingular nailed the sound right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    GreatIsaacs - I would've thought Sprint would have their update out first as well, but if you look at the Cingular updater details .
    Tomvb2000: I may have been off target and was responding more to sound quality updates rather than just memory.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I agree that Sprint has screwed up in the past, but to say they're not technologically competent wreaks of ignorance.
    MisterFuhrman: The "technologically incompetant" comment may be unfair....but we are talking about their commitment to solving problems with new technology. If Sprint wants to be "Best in Show" servicing customers of old technology, so be it. That method may be profitable for the forseeable future. My suggestion is that if other providers prove to be better and faster at implementing technology and (THEY RESPOND TO THE NEEDS OF THEIR CUSTOMERS)........history tells me that they'll be the ones to succeed and also tells me who I'll want to do business with.

Sprint's silence on these outstanding issues is deafening. This is a good PDA glued to an average phone, filled with sub-standard code. We've all paid for it and everyone in this forum has earned the right to call it the way they see it.
    I just read the above post and don't want it to appear harsh to Darenll Tomvb2000, Primate, Mister Furman ect. I'm appreciate the discussion and am not here to flame or Treo Bash.

It is just that this thing has the potential to be great! The technological hardware advaces of Palm are being negated by poor programing code on both Palm and Sprint's end.
    GreatIsaacs - no problem here.

I too am passionate about my Treo600 and now 650 and want them to be the best they can be. I've been responsible in convincing 7-8 other people to buy a Treo, so it pains me (reputation-wise) to see some of my friends have so many problems with their Cingular 650's where my experience on Sprint has been much better and more solid.

For me, the advantages still far outweigh the disadvantages and I'm willing to live with the few issues I've encountered. My biggest item early on was whether or not I could keep my 40+ after-market apps with the new memory architecture. Once that was solved, most of my concern went away. Given the comments other Sprint users have made, I'm beginning to think I'm just lucky and got a better-than-average production unit.
    Darnell: The thread started as a discussion of a Sprint Firmware upgrade addressing; sound quality, memory, patches and versamail. I agree that memory issues need to be addressed by Palm for all carriers, not to mention versamail issues.

Shadowmite with Faisel's help provided the Custom Rom's to hack Sprint Sound quality issues MONTHS ago. These sound quality issues are serious and I pay good money for their service. It is proven that new code solves the problem, why should I, three months down the road, have to hack Sprint's phone when the code exists. I did a search for Cingular Sound Quality issues, I found little to nothing. Cingular nailed the sound right out of the box.
    Well the patch for memory issues has been released. They say it also fixes some sound issues. I never had any issues with volume, but maybe it will help you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345