Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Unfortunately, I see no mention of Bluetooth devices waking up the phone so we can start using voice-tags with our BT headsets.

I was keeping my chicken-wings crossed for this more than anything else!

ChickenHawk
    Now of course, I may be way off base here, but the memory setup itself is not changing. That would require a hardware change. What I believe is changing is the block sizing to optimize the memory usage. This should not affect any of the NVFS related tweaks.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    I wonder how this will affect the 3rd party software I've installed??? Especially, after the majority of the developers tweaked their individual software apps to make it work with the current memory setup!
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    The update won't be OTA but the notification of the update will be. Keep your eyes here...

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

for the download according to TC user Kevin Mchaels (palmone employee)
    I would also guess that it will be available from your account online at SprintPCS.com.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    I would also guess that it will be available from your account online at SprintPCS.com.
    Good to know
    The countdown begins........
    Sorry, you right too much info.

But actually, I have nothing to hide.

I'm a real person.

If you think my safety is at issue I will remove it?

Robert
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054
    Sorry, you right too much info.

But actually, I have nothing to hide.

I'm a real person.

If you think my safety is at issue I will remove it?

Robert
    It has nothing to do with being a real person. You don't walk around in public, on the subway, in restuarants, etc, with a big sticker on your back that gives your name and home address do you? It's completely unnecessary AND a security risk.
    At the very least you're asking for spam - both to your email address and your home address.

I don't mean to get all overdramatic or anything, but with all of the identity fraud that goes on nowadays it's just dangerous to put any info out there.
    I hope they fix the delay in dialing a number from Favorites or Contacts. I see delays up to 5 seconds.

At least a quick pop-up saying "Dialing" so you know something is happening before actual dialing info is displayed.
    FastFrank
    Hi guys, I'm new to the Treo 650, can you help me get caught up on any updates that I should do, I checked my version and it's 1.03. Any informatoin would be great! Thanks!!!!!!!
    1.03 is current
    rlanza1054 - Good idea to remove that info. Minsc is stearing u right.

Anyway - Can't wait for this patch. I'm sure it won't fix everything, but it's still been a long wait.

Joebar - the countdown has begun...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrank
    I hope they fix the delay in dialing a number from Favorites or Contacts. I see delays up to 5 seconds.

At least a quick pop-up saying "Dialing" so you know something is happening before actual dialing info is displayed.
    They did/are. This is the "memory optimization" they speak of in the fix. It is optimized in the way it "updates" the NVFS.

-Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Unfortunately, I see no mention of Bluetooth devices waking up the phone so we can start using voice-tags with our BT headsets.

I was keeping my chicken-wings crossed for this more than anything else!

ChickenHawk
    I think this was a mentioned feature in the new PalmOne Bluetooth 1.2 Headset review which is not quite available yet. It is supposed to start shipping with the 650 cradle in the next two weeks.

I am almost possitive it said it would wake the palm up from the headset button. Working with voice tags, now that is a whole other ball of wax...

-Shawn
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrixey
    I think this was a mentioned feature in the new PalmOne Bluetooth 1.2 Headset review which is not quite available yet. It is supposed to start shipping with the 650 cradle in the next two weeks.

I am almost possitive it said it would wake the palm up from the headset button. Working with voice tags, now that is a whole other ball of wax...

-Shawn
    The support site for this up and coming Treo headset says about 50x that it doesn't support voice dialing on the Treo 650, which sucks.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrixey
    This is the "memory optimization" they speak of in the fix.
    I would hope the optimization is that a 20-30 byte contact record doesn't consume 512 bytes in the NVFS. I'm not sure if that can be done at the OS level or if apps would need minor changes to enable it, but that seems to be the 650's biggest "memory issue" IMHO.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Yeah and so a programs data file that should take up 454k doesnt take up 10 times that amount. RJ
    I would hope the optimization is that a 20-30 byte contact record doesn't consume 512 bytes in the NVFS. I'm not sure if that can be done at the OS level or if apps would need minor changes to enable it, but that seems to be the 650's biggest "memory issue" IMHO.
    Depends on a number of things mainly how the app(s) were written...I have a programming background and can tell you this...

A contact is designed to hold arrays of strings, ie. First Name, Last, email, cell, etc <-- each one of those are strings and could be defined as 32 bytes max, which means even though you use 1 character in that string it still will take up 32 bytes...
    Another thing to consider, is every field still whether blank or not still is added to a contact? so even though you don't have a value for email does it still add the full 32bytes to the contact data? Depends on how the app was written..

^ This is all before you get to the way the FS stores the files...as we know with the current NVFS a 1 byte file will still allocate 512 bytes but being that I believe the contacts database is a single file the storage problem would most likey stem from the way the contacts app was written and not with the allocation issues with NVFS... a contacts.db file of size 5121 bytes would allocate 5632 btyes on nvfs so nvfs is not so bad in that sense, it shows it's bad side on many small files...

Just my opinion...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    A contact is designed to hold arrays of strings, ie. First Name, Last, email, cell, etc <-- each one of those are strings and could be defined as 32 bytes max, which means even though you use 1 character in that string it still will take up 32 bytes...
    Another thing to consider, is every field still whether blank or not still is added to a contact? so even though you don't have a value for email does it still add the full 32bytes to the contact data? Depends on how the app was written..
    I believe the Palm OS originally stored data in a linear fashion, meaning that a simple contact record of "Joe" "Smith" "123-555-1234" was stored as 20 bytes (with maybe a few extra bytes of overhead). "Mary" "Johnson" "123 Main St" "Somewhere" "NY" "12345" "555-5555" would be 46 bytes, and so on. There were no fixed record sizes (at least not in to builit-in PIM databases).

The NVFS is a cluster based system and each "record" occupies one (or more) of those clusters, meaning the same 66 bytes of data above in NVFS is 1024 bytes (2 records @ 512 each). The P1 KB article on NVFS seems to support this theory.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I know other people have memory problems, but those aren't the big issues for me. I need:

1.) Bluetooth volume

2.) Fix the delay when dialing (it's annoying! This may be memory-related, so I guess it's a memory issue, but I need responsiveness so I don't press the button again when nothing happens).

3.) Fix the clippiness of the internal microphone so people can understand me better.

and finally, 4) overall stability issues.

I love the Treo 650-- I can take my work on the road with me without missing much of a beat. I get work email from our enterprise server at the office, I have my calendar and contacts, and it's a phone. I just need some fixes to make it less difficult to do all these things every day.
    I believe the Palm OS originally stored data in a linear fashion, meaning that a simple contact record of "Joe" "Smith" "123-555-1234" was stored as 20 bytes (with maybe a few extra bytes of overhead). "Mary" "Johnson" "123 Main St" "Somewhere" "NY" "12345" "555-5555" would be 46 bytes, and so on. There were no fixed record sizes (at least not in to builit-in PIM databases).

The NVFS is a cluster based system and each "record" occupies one (or more) of those clusters, meaning the same 66 bytes of data above in NVFS is 1024 bytes (2 records @ 512 each). The P1 KB article on NVFS seems to support this theory.
    Good link...ok from what I read the contact data is still stored the same way but the storage issue arises in the way NVFS handles resource records in files...

It's very strange to me but it seems like inside your contacts.db file each records is treated as an independant file, which the minimum allocation for a file in NVFS is 512 bytes...

What's bugging me is why in the world would palm use a storage method like that...it seems like having independant resource records in a .db would lessen performance than having a continuious file that would be opened then parsed out... that would also solve the horible allocation problem...Strange...

Giving what I've just went over, I highly doubt that palm is going to lower the allocation size of NVFS files, I feel they will take the shortcut and rewrite PIM information to store data without using resource records therefore creating a workaround instead of a solution... Just my guess
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast