Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spoke with a Sprint Business Rep today and they said that they are positive that you will actually need different hardware (a.k.a Phone) for the BBC software to work with a BES server.

Anyone else heard this? This pisses me off if it is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmevanson
    I spoke with a Sprint Business Rep today and they said that they are positive that you will actually need different hardware (a.k.a Phone) for the BBC software to work with a BES server.

Anyone else heard this? This pisses me off if it is true.
    I'm positive they have no idea what they are talking about.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    I'm positive they have no idea what they are talking about.
    Is 2nd quarter still the date for the BBC software release?

Has there been any Beta's yet?
    There was already a beta program but nobody's talking.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The Sprint guy is wrong, they will have minimum specs to use BCC but the treo 650 should meet those specs.
    I can't remember the exact specs, but the 650 has all the power and ram needed to run the client.
    Sprint reps are generally morons, even the business reps. I actually spoke to a few people in the "blackberry" department at Sprint and they were mildly knowledgeable. One guy had actually seen Blackberry Connect operated on a Treo 600 (from a RIM salesman), so I'm pretty sure it will work on the Treo. Of course, as others stated, this is not news. The entire product would be meaningless if it didn't work on the current crop of premier wireless-enabled Palm PDAs.
    Regarding beta BCC, I remember Engadget had a beta installed on their Treo 650. And, they had a pic of it running on the Treo!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Regarding beta BCC, I remember Engadget had a beta installed on their Treo 650. And, they had a pic of it running on the Treo!

Anyone have a link from that?

Mike
    Thanks for the link.

It's too bad the comments are so inflammatory. I'd really rather have seen a good article about the BBC software on the Treo, rather than a fight between the Goodlink fans and the BB fans.
    The version of Blackberry Connect for Palm that is going to be released shortly is only going to work on GPRS/EDGE networks and only support wireless email (not calendar).

So it will not work for any Treo (600 or 650) connected to a CDMA network (Sprint or Verizon).

I spoke directly with a RIM product manager about it and it's also posted on Palm's website:

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/mailblackberry.html
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    The version of Blackberry Connect for Palm that is going to be released shortly is only going to work on GPRS/EDGE networks and only support wireless email (not calendar).
    only email? so then what is the point?

anyhow, does anyone know, if you already have BES for the blackberry, will this "product" work with it without having to buy another server?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    BES runs on it's own box. "Server" can be a bit misleading. Very minimal requirements. BBC is in final Beta and available on limited carriers and device (650 not being one of them) in the UK right now. From reading the BB page regarding BBC, it looks like if your company has BES, it will have email, calendar and :Remote address book look-up", which to me sounds like GAL functionality. (http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...ct/index.shtml)

That same page has devices supported and the 650 isn't on there. BB points at PalmSource and PS points at BB for not having released it yet.
    adamrogers:
    Oustside of talking with your RIM rep where do you see gsm only support?
    Since 2 of the big three US cell companies are cdma they would be stupid to limit themselves. Also, I have serious doubts about our RIM rep being abel to chew gum and walk at the same time so take that into consideration!!
    Quote Originally Posted by acampa01
    adamrogers:
    Since 2 of the big three US cell companies are cdma they would be stupid to limit themselves. Also, I have serious doubts about our RIM rep being abel to chew gum and walk at the same time so take that into consideration!!
    Just as an FYI, 2 days of training here for new reps is the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time so we have another advantage over RIM!
    Quote Originally Posted by acampa01
    adamrogers:
    Here a quote from the website:
    # Supported networks: GPRS
    GPRS is a data system for GSM networks. I'm surprized EDGE is not listed...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    Thanks for the link.

It's too bad the comments are so inflammatory. I'd really rather have seen a good article about the BBC software on the Treo, rather than a fight between the Goodlink fans and the BB fans.
    Totally agree with you and it was very surprisingly the first time ever on Treonauts that such a comments 'battle' took place.

There is obviously a _lot_ of money at stake here and RIM and GOOD seem to be at each others' throats.

I naturally want to get to the bottom of this and I am due to test both BBC and GoodLink for the Treo 650 'relatively shortly'.

Cheers, W.
    I would like to address the 'battle' since I was a combatant

My goal was not in any way to start a war, however, the comments made regarding GoodLink were patently false and I was called a liar and an *****. True, it spiraled out of control and way off topic and my apologies for that. However, in fairness, I felt I needed to respond as many, many people come to TN for information and I felt that I needed to correct the false information. In hidnsight, I should have kept the snide comments to myself and simply addressed the incorrect information and left it that. For that, I was totally wrong, but I stand by defending my product against incorrect information.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Here a quote from the website:

GPRS is a data system for GSM networks. I'm surprized EDGE is not listed...

Ugh! As a sprint user...I am obviously disappointed. I have been desperately waiting for this. My firm is a BB shop, and I have been suffering with the redirector (SEVEN) software, i.e., leaving my pc on!
    Ohhh...you are talking about TreoNauts article..I thought you were talking about the thread here. LOL! Though the Treonauts thing did get around here (Good) and there are some valid points from both arguments.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast