Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I have an issue that I hope someone knows how to help with. I am unable to receive a contact via "beam" from my wife's treo or from an attachment on an email. I continue to get "data received in unknown format" error when I try.
    I have checked my settings and all is correct and I have even done a backup/hard reset to get my treo 600 to the factory settings and at that point I can receive just fine. I know that it must be some kind of software or other issue, but I am not too excited about going through EVERY single 3rd party app. to find it.
    Does anyone out there know how I can at the very least narrow down the list of culprits?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    anyone?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    someone has to know how to help. please!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Bro,

This is more than likely a third party application problem. Try beaming something from hers to yours sometimes I have found that will fix the problem. But I gave up on this and deleted or upgraded every program I knew wasn't Treo compatable.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Using backup buddy and a hard reset I was able to restore my treo 600 in clumps. I found the file that was causing the issue. It was one called "unsaved prefrences".
    When I restored everything but that file all was great except for the fact that I had lost my hot sync ID which meant that I had lost some registrations to some key apps (snappermail, ereader, kinoma...)
    A hotsync with my home computer magically put my hot sync ID back and also my registrations were back as well.
    I have also confirmed that the original issue of not being able to receive beamed information or add from an attachment from an email is solved.
    I am still left with the mystery of what exactly caused this issue, and I am also left with the nagging question:
    DID I DO ANYTHING DAMAGING BY NOT REINSTALLING THAT FILE? WAS THERE SOMETHING IN THERE THAT I NEEDED?

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows how to put my mind at ease with this.
    DID I DO ANYTHING DAMAGING BY NOT REINSTALLING THAT FILE? WAS THERE SOMETHING IN THERE THAT I NEEDED?
    Palm recommends against backing up the "Unsaved Preferences" file - there's a reason for that name. In my travels through devices, it seems that the worst damage in NOT restoring it is that you will have to reenter a few keys, as some (not many) software apps store their keys in that file. But if you DO restore it, you get a lot of issues just like you had with beaming (and maybe others that you won't find out until later).

Best advice I can give is to disable all your hacks, backup your old device onto Backupman (SD card), backup your desktop user folder, then open backupman, restore "saved preferences" and the basic apps INDIVIDUALLY, check and make sure they look right - make another backup of that configuration... THEN start bringing in small increments of third party applications and checking as you go. Start conservatively (add back the latest major commercial apps that you use everyday), then slowly bring over the ones you have questions about. If you backup carefully along the way, you can always go back to the last good set.

Good luck!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.