1.    #1  
    I didn't have any reason to install Backup Buddy... until now. If it will in fact backup the contents of my 8M flash Springboard, all of a sudden it's a lot more interesting.

So.

1. Will it in fact do this?

Now since it's going to modify the backup process, I'm concerned that it might make things rough on me if I decide to remove it.

So.

2. Will it do anything I can't undo when it installs.
    3. Will it undo anything I need to leave done when it uninstalls?
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    Yes. It does backup the contents of the flash module. On your desktop(s), it creates another backup directory (BackupHsFlashModule) that functions just like the "backup" directory. When you move a previously backed up file to the FM, it removes the file from the backup directory and moves it into the BackupHsFlashModule directory.

I've never uninstalled BB, so I can't comment on what happens; but you could cover yourself by copying the BackupHsFlashModule directory before you do the uninstall.
    Originally posted by yucca
    Yes. It does backup the contents of the flash module. On your desktop(s), it creates another backup directory (BackupHsFlashModule) that functions just like the "backup" directory. When you move a previously backed up file to the FM, it removes the file from the backup directory and moves it into the BackupHsFlashModule directory.
    Impressive! If you have two different 8 meg Flash modules, will it create a second directory?
    Good question! I've sent an e-mail to BackupBuddy support, and we'll have to see what they have to say . . .
    OK, I'm lost...What version of BB are you running? Is there something new that will backup the FM? Or maybe a setting that I don't have turned on? I don't have a "BackupHsFlashModule" directory anywhere on my laptop. I usually have a FM in the SB slot when I sync, but BB never backed up anything on it. I created my own directory to store copies of whatever I put on the FM.

Hmmm, I'll have to do a bit of research... Thanks.

later on...
    OK, found it! I never upgraded to the newer versions of BB. That's why my FM wasn't being backed up. <Doh!> Upgrade time...

[Edited by narnia_77 on 08-28-2000 at 09:59 PM]
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    Just installed BackupBuddy 1.31 and played a bit with it and my two 8 meg FLASH modules.

1) BackupBuddy will back up the contents of a Flash ROM. I have not tried to restore it, so I can't say if this feature works.

2) It appears that BackupBuddy will only support backups for one ROM module at a time. Backup module 1 and then backup module 2, and the contents of module 2 will overwrite those of module 1.

I said "appears" because the contents of the ROM module's folder on the desktop are replaced. It's possible that BackupBuddy archives the previous contents and recognizes it, but I can't find the theoretical archive on the desktop.
    Originally posted by John Nowak
    It appears that BackupBuddy will only support backups for one ROM module at a time. Backup module 1 and then backup module 2, and the contents of module 2 will overwrite those of module 1.
    (I still haven't upgraded yet...) Question - Do your modules have the same name? In the FileMover/Options, there is an "Edit Module Label" where you can name the modules. I wonder if that makes a difference to BB? Just curious...
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    According to BackupBuddy tech support, you should be able to maintain separate backups of each module as long as they have different names. I've not been able to test this as of yet (NT serial sync problems - again), but hope to do so no later than Monday.
    Originally posted by narnia_77
    (I still haven't upgraded yet...) Question - Do your modules have the same name? In the FileMover/Options, there is an "Edit Module Label" where you can name the modules. I wonder if that makes a difference to BB? Just curious... [/B]
    The two modules I used in the test had different names; "Maps" and "Dictionary." BackupBuddy 1.31 did not create a second directory for the second module, at least not under the Palm/[USER] directory.
    The two modules I used in the test had different names; "Maps" and "Dictionary." BackupBuddy 1.31 did not create a second directory for the second module, at least not under the Palm/[USER] directory.
    Yep. I can confirm that, after renaming the flash module, BackupBuddy does not create another backup directory. I've passed this info back to BB tech support, and I'm waiting on their response . . .

UPDATE ONE: Got a reply from BB tech support, and they are disappointed to learn that this doesn't work. Apparently the Flash module's rename feature doesn't change the Springboard name that BB uses (can there really be more than one field for this?). BTW, you will get different backup directories with at least some of the modules out there . . . BB tech support specifically mentioned Tiger Wood's Golf!?! Has anyone tried BB with both the 8MB module and one of Innogear's 2MB modules?

[Edited by yucca on 09-12-2000 at 10:28 PM]
  11.    #11  
    Apparently the Flash module's rename feature doesn't change the Springboard name that BB uses (can there really be more than one field for this?).
    I suspect that means that BB is using a field that identifies the model name of the springboard... so you can have one Flash ROM module, one Innopack/2V, and so on.
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    Has anyone tried BB with both the 8MB module and one of Innogear's 2MB modules?

[Edited by yucca on 09-12-2000 at 10:28 PM]
    Just gave it a try, and I'm happy to say your theory is correct; using BackupBuddy with the Innogear 2V created a directory called "BackupIG_Barbie_1" which contains the files I placed on it.

Just gave it a try, and I'm happy to say your theory is correct; using BackupBuddy with the Innogear 2V created a directory called "BackupIG_Barbie_1" which contains the files I placed on it.
    Cool. Glad that worked as advertised . . .

If you want BackupBuddy to extend this functionality to multiple 8MB Springboard Modules, I'd suggest you that you contact them directly. I have. BTW, the response that I got was the typical "we'll pass this on the programming team . . ." So they are not making any promises.
  14.    #14  
    I assume you called your Innogear "Barbie"?

Sounds like BB or Handspring better get straight on which is the "real" name of the module.
    Cool. Glad that worked as advertised . . .

If you want BackupBuddy to extend this functionality to multiple 8MB Springboard Modules, I'd suggest you that you contact them directly. I have. BTW, the response that I got was the typical "we'll pass this on the programming team . . ." So they are not making any promises. [/B]
    I would, but honestly I don't see it as that big a deal -- the Flash Modules are unlikely to need a backup since they don't have volatile memory. Reverse engineering is a lot of fun, though.
    Originally posted by argent
    I assume you called your Innogear "Barbie"?
    Nope. That one is named "Vibrator." I don't recall if I changed its name or not.

Originally posted by argent

Sounds like BB or Handspring better get straight on which is the "real" name of the module.
    Apples and oranges, really...one field is the tag of an individual unit; the other is the name of the device type. I'd suggest BackupBuddy use the editable individual unit name.