Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read this board multiple times per day and all I see are complaints (i am in the customer service industry so complaints are the story of my life). So, i though I would start this thread. I have an ATT Treo 650 (locked), it works great, fewer dropped calls than my 600 ever had, very few resets (maybe 1 per week), BT with the Scala 500 is outstanding. Hopefully i can get it unlocked one day and i'd love to get my hands on a cradle (for a reasonable price) but the 650 is everything I want.

I'm sure there are others like me out there, stand up and be heard.
  2. BGS
    I guess we have been blessed to have good Treo's...

I should go buy a lottery ticket today with such good luck.
    The only thing wrong I see with this Treo 650 is that I seem to be in the minority with everyone else who posts here..
    Smile,
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    Treo 600 & 650 / Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS

The only thing wrong I see with this Treo 650 is that I seem to be in the minority with everyone else who posts here..
    Smile,
    Bruce
    The number of units bought from palmone suggests you are not in the minority.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    i love mine!
    I'm another guy who loves the Treo 650. I'm an IT admin and having the ability to use MobileTS/VPN/pSSH/VNC is a life saver.

Out of the box the Treo 650 is the biggest piece of garbageware I've ever seen. The phone ships with applications (Versamail) that cause a plethora of stability issues. The sound quality (without the patch) is horrid. The BtMute issue is a cluster-F. The lack of timely patches from PalmOne is unacceptable.

That being said, if one has 7 or so days to invest in ROM "hacking", tweaking, research, and patience, it pays off.

Thank God to all the programmers who wrote the freeware/small-cost applications to make the Treo 650 bearable. Examples include TreoUtil, KBLightsOff, LedOff, RadioControl, etc.

I think the "My phone sucks, PalmOne sucks" are coming from people who would expect a ~$500 device to operate as advertised, out of the box, without the need to become a part-time Treo 650 expert.
    I have had a really good experience with my treo so far. it does everything i want and i'm learning how to maintain it everyday. just need to stop install stuff on it.
    I love mine, had to replace two units for one of my 3 accounts, other two worked fine, despite needing to replace them, it is GREAT device and I would not trade it for any of the competition, WAIT!, there is no competition, this is the best.
    I would also like to add that the expectation level seems to be directly proportional to the "happiness" scale. Spartanrob stated ".. very few resets (maybe 1 per week) .." and is perfectly happy with this. I, on the other-hand, expect more stability from a device. I would view 1 to 2 resets per week as unacceptable.

I really think that's why we get such a wide range of posts, those singing the praises of the Treo 650 while others are spitting and gnashing their teeth at PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I think the "My phone sucks, PalmOne sucks" are coming from people who would expect a ~$500 device to operate as advertised, out of the box, without the need to become a part-time Treo 650 expert.
    I agree completely. I love this phone! But I have also invested a substantial amount of time familiarizing myself with its capabilities, reading the TC forum, and testing things out for myself. I've finally got a unit that has a good deal of useful stuff on it (that is, after I deleted all the bloat I would never use) with the minimal ROM update that doesn't crash anymore. BackupBuddy Professional was indispensable in that regard.

However, I have no idea how many Treo owners have ever read a forum like this one. If I had not, I would probably be fed up with this phone as well.

Thanks for all the help TC!!!!!!!
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    I love mine as well
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    April 1st,,,
    Luv it, best gadget I EVER owned - and I have owned a loooottt! :-)
    I love mine
    1 | 2
    Hey evilghost, wow, sounds like you have mucho experience...

The 650, the hardware truly is beautiful..
    unfortunately, I, like many, have neither the time or patience to deal with becoming an expert in palm software.

I have a huge interest in getting Bluetooth to work with some kind of voicedialing software... any suggestions at this early point in the game?

PS I've deleted all the wonderful apps I used to run with the 600 and finally got the 650 to communicate to some degree with my HBH-300 headset... I'd still love to be able to use palm's voicedial app as I do a lot of order taking and negotiating while driving.

Thanks man.

Hey Tiff, you look great!
    Co-workers, friends, and passerbys are constantly stricken with treo envy.

Makes g/f jealous.

What potential this device has.(Once you've put in the research on TC of course).
    ahhh potential
    I love my unit sooooooooooooooooo much . Would n't trade even for a grand!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS
    The only thing wrong I see with this Treo 650 is that I seem to be in the minority with everyone else who posts here..Smile,Bruce

I think we are part of the mostly silent majority
    --Just got my Treo 650 on Valentines day. Now my Sony UX50 and Nokia 6820 are in the dresser resting comfortably next to my socks Unlocked gsm. Hardware:A Firmware:01.14 Software:Treo650-1.05-ROW Palm OS:Garnet v. 5.4.5 ...in case you were wondering
    I love the treo platform myself, and I just recently bought my girlfriend a 600.

But as I was installing apps, I couldn't help but remember why I switched to a PPC-6001. Don't you ever get frustrated with Palm? The way they limit their products? I know my girlfriend will be fine because she doesnt need all the advanced bells and whistles, and the 600 is LIGHTYEARS beyond an average cell phone, but it always ticked me off that it could be capable of so much more, if Palm would just put out an OS that could multitask, and run native arm code, and give it memory it deserves.

BTW if your looking for an inexpensive BT headset try the M3000 by plantronics (40.00 from ecost) My old G2 wouldnt work with my 650 or my 6001, but the M3000 does. I think the headset has a better radio, and you 650 users might also be able to benefit.

I just hope they get the next Treo right, with linux under the hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I love my unit sooooooooooooooooo much . Would n't trade even for a grand!!
    for a grand you can have mine.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast