Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wow, it is certainly good to see that others have had this problem. I thought I was going nuts. This kind of problem drives you insane. Not only do I have the same issue with the switch to no service when making calls, but at times I cannot even receive calls on a ringing phone (seems to lock up the answer button).

It has to be a device specific issue as my wife has the Treo 650 and makes calls from the same room where I have the problem.

Short of getting a new phone, I guess there isnt much someone can do, but these things are so darn expensive and I really like the 600.

I wish you all luck resolving this. I am seriously considering just going with a basic phone that works and forgetting about all the bells and whistles on these palm phones.

Marty
    Just a note with each post to thank all of you for ALL the great info on this site!
    And like so many other here, I thought I was going crazy with this exact problem. As described by ctblizzard, my incoming calls are compromised as well. If I plug in, all problems go away.

So here is the $64000 question, ctripplet: Where did you find this "known issue" information? I've searched without luck. I feel that If I were able to have a print out of Sprint's admission, it would help my case.

So far, just runaround from Sprint store (as well as the invitation to buy a new one) and i'm a 8 year customer!

Please hook us up with a link to the "known issue" statement!

Thanks everyone for writing and researching.

torsion
    FYI: I just found this on the Palm's treo 600 (sprint) support page: http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo600sprint/

ITEM:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(29609)

Support Knowledge Library

Solution ID: 29609

Smartphone drops calls or reverts to Network Search in strong coverage areas

Many factors can influence signal strength on a mobile phone, including network issues, proximity of cellular towers, signals being blocked by buildings or landscape, etc.

This article applies specifically to an issue that occurs when you're in an area with strong wireless coverage, and you try to make a call. Instead of connecting, the smartphone suddenly drops calls and reverts to Network Search.

On any phone or network, it's fairly common for calls to be dropped when passing through spots with no wireless coverage, but if this happens in areas known to have excellent coverage, there may be other factors at work.

Follow the steps in our general Wireless mode troubleshooting article. If you're still having problems with dropped calls or loss of signal strength, come back to this article and see below.

Does the smartphone drop calls or act strangely only when you're dialing certain toll-free numbers? This is an unrelated issue: more info here.

After eliminating other factors, you can perform a little troubleshooting to see if you're experiencing this particular issue ...

Charge your battery fully.

Check the signal strength indicator in an area with good coverage, which you can return to later. How many bars are displayed? If you have more than two bars, then you are in an area of good coverage.

Make a phone call while in an area with two to four bars of coverage. When your battery is full, you should be able to make the call without being dropped or reverting to Network Search.

Allow your battery to discharge approximately 50 percent. You can check exactly how much your battery has discharged by tapping the onscreen battery icon.

Return to the area where you checked signal strength earlier, and make sure the indicator still shows at least two bars.

Make a phone call. At half battery strength, is the call dropped and does the device display "Network Search" at the top of the phone screen?

If you notice that your calls are frequently dropped with sudden Network Search at lower battery levels, contact Product Support for advanced troubleshooting via phone or email.

Article ID: 29609 Category(s): Troubleshooting
    Date Created: Mar 17, 2004 Date Modified: Mar 10, 2005
    Relevant products: Treo 600 (Sprint), Treo 600 (Verizon), Treo 600 (Bell Mobility), Treo 600 (GSM), Treo 650 (Sprint), Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 650 (Earthlink), Treo 650 (Rogers)
    The carriers will lie to you and tell you that you are the only person that has ever experienced this problem. Don't believe them. I have had my 600 for nearly 2 years now and I am on my 4th replacement. All had this same issue. Sprint insists that they have never had any other failures of this sort. Now it is out of warranty and is virtually useless since there is no avenue to get them repaired. This appears to be a dirty little secret between Palm and the carriers. There is no way they can't know what is happening.

Here is my experience...
    First, it seems to be marginally heat related. When the unit is fully charged and cool it is rarely a problem. Operate it or hold it in your hand for very long and the problem will manifest itself.

It is related to the radio. If you turn wireless mode off you will have no lock-up or reset issues. What I have observed is that you will have a network connection established (in the case of Sprint, Vision). The Treo will lock up. When the unit unlocks 5-10 seconds later, the network connection (the little green arrows over the signal strength indicator) is broken. Generally, you will still be in wireless mode but you will have to reestablish the network socket. This may or may not work. Again, once the unit is cooled (I have held mine in front of the AC vent in my car) it will function again. Until that time you will experience continued freeze ups or in extreme situations system resets.

Obviously, this makes the 600 about as useful as a stone when it comes to making calls. I usually get about 20 seconds into a call before it freezes and drops the connection.

The call to action is let Palm know you are not amused. Most of us could see this coming when we purchased our first smart phones and were then informed that all support would come from the carriers. What a joke! Call Sprint with a Palm OS problem. You'll get some babe who can sell you more "anytime minutes" or extend your contract but has no clue how a Treo works. She will simply send you to the 3rd level of Hell known as the Sprint Store where a highly trained technician will tell you he has never heard of this problem before. He will then proceed to reset your device, erase all your data and announce that the problem is solved. I had one tell me he had remedied the problem by adding more memory. I asked him how he did that and he took me to the cache settings on the web browser. Yeah, right.

Spread the word. This is a real problem. And think twice before you buy a 650.
    sorry to write this again,but i need an answer really bad!
    i'm from Bulgaria(north of Greece and Turkey) and i have a problem with my treo 600 too.my friend brought it to me a year ago,but with a car charger and adapter with it for 220v.i think i killed my bat with it,but now i got normal charger bought from "RadioShack".the thing is the wireless mode doesn't want to turn on-once it does,it turns off,even with the charger plugged in and baterry at 100%.we don't have any stores here that offering treo parts,so i should ask some of my friends to buy a 2000mAh bat and to bring(send) it to Bulgaria.and ofcourse most of the internet companies doesn't ship anything to my country ordered with credit cards.
    what should i do,give up on my treo?
    I purchased my Sprint TREO600 on EBay in April. Therefore I have no warrenty. I had this problem as soon as I received the phone. I researched the problem and only found a couple of forum threads regarding it. I came to the conclusion that it was indeed a battery problem and purchased and installed a new battery. (the guy who sold me the phone paid half the expense). It is now 4 months later and guess what??????????? Same problem. I have looked at threads on this site as wells the TREO Central site. Before I purchase a new battery I will open up the TREO (delicate task) and clean the connectors and reconnect the battery. I understand this sometimes works. I also have a problem hearing with the earpiece. I will try the advice I found regarding raising the speaker at the same time. Many have mentioned that Sprint claims they have never heard of ths issue. I go the same response in April. I'm not ven going to call them this time.
    I'l check back after I've reseated the battery.
    Hey everyone, I thank you VERY MUCH for this thread. I had posted above about my TREO 600 and how I had the same problem. I decided to give up on it. I went out and bought the cheapest cell phone out there, signed a new contract saving 60 bucks a month and just listed my TREO 600 on eBay. You can search eBay for SICK TREO 600 if you are interested in finding a cheap phone that you might be able to fix that has this problem along with supplies, extra styluses etc. So far its only up to 10 bucks, heck I paid more than that for the extra styluses LOL

I run a business, actually a few of them, I dont have time for this bologna! It took me months of thinking I was going crazy before I found this thread and the information contained here. I cannot tell you great it is to have a phone that works every time I call out, or a call comes in. I know the phone has many great options, but its just too slow and cumbersome at times. The web is at a snail's pace etc. My wife has the Treo 650, and it seems to be an excellent device with few problems. Things work a little faster on it, and there have not been any issues.

Thank you to all those that posted here, as always this forum has been a great deal of help!

Marty
    Just a note with each post to thank all of you for ALL the great info on this site!
    Quote Originally Posted by GKB
    I've had this problem, just like everyone else on the page. And while it may seem a battery replacement is an answer, chances are it was the removal of the back cover that accidentally fixed the problem.....

I'm no engineer, but my phone was out of warranty, I dropped it, and the problem started, and Sprint's store "tech" was about as much "tech" help as an old push lawn mower--he went in back and came out to declare "Phone's shot...you need a new one...let me show you these new models...." Problem was, I noticed that the antenna was still askew--he never opened the thing. So I did.

Bravely inside I wiggled the antenna back into place, and it worked again just fine.....until I dropped it again. i know, take better care....

At any rate, I opened it again, and wiggled again, and this time it DIDN'T work again....so i noticed the damn design of the phone has three locations whereby the back cover electronically connects to some aspect of the main phone circuit board by flimsy sprung metal (or in the case of the speaker phone; actual springs--like a beverly hillbillies idea). Engineers probably thought this a clever solution to some design problem, but it seemed to me that this was easily a place to get out of alignment when clumsy folks like me drop the phone. Sure enough, after wiggling them all, it worked again....for a while. Dropped again--don't ask. Long story short, i think i have eliminated the antenna connection and the speaker phone connection as the problem. That leaves two weird little connections at the bottom end of the phone...both sprung metal parallel connections from the back cover to the main board, both really small and easily misaligned, and both, oddly, mounted in rubber boots that wiggle around in their casing mount. One is round; one is more rectangular. One of those, when re-aligned, lets the phone work again. Mine works again now. I'm not sure what a permanent answer is, but I'll tell you this, the design of this phone is wacked...and i suspect more folks have this problem than post to this forum....and I seem to find the treo site weirdly silent on this problem...hmmmmm.....

The rectangular item is the vibrator, the round one is the microphone.
    Soooo I can't either of those making much of a difference...good luck, my 600 won't place calls either. Starts to dial then goes back to the dial pad.
    was about to trash my treo as this no service issue has been hapening in mass for 3 months. i decided to comeback and see if anyone had sucess fixing this problem that happens after warrenty expired. conclusions.
    1. its a battery issue and needs to be replaced.
    2. its that connector cable issue that needs to be replaced
    3. both of above

i noticed that if im connected to my car charger phone works at times. disconnect it and the so called no service issue kills the phone so its a major defect treo knows but is playing dumb.

will try the battery change puyi suggested as lst hope but why in the fuk would anyone buy a 650 knowing this. not moi
    Treo 600 Sprint, same problems. I haven't had a chance to try calling while plugged into AC yet though. But even with battery near 100% charge it has this problem.

To be thorough, the problem is: No Service when calling out. Sometimes the person I'm calling sees me ringing them but once they answer they hear a very brief squeel of static then call drops. Sometimes they don't receive the call at all. The effect for me is always the same. I call out, it looks like its going to ring, the timer gets to maybe 3 seconds and the No Service comes up, call drops and phone freezes for a few seconds. When people call me I either never get it or my answer button is frozen. Sometimes when people call me it causes my phone to soft reset. Sometimes my phone soft resets on its own at random. When I'm in an area of known bad signal qualify my phone will often freeze for 3-4 seconds at a time (this is only noticable when I'm using another palm app at the time); I assume it's from network searching.

I have hard reset the phone and tried it naked so no crazy apps are installed and it still has the same problem (though surprisingly a single call went through but I couldn't duplicate).

I am not part of the affected ESNs in that list floating around. I bought it from Handspring.com when it first came out around October 2003 so I assume I have no warranty. I'm not on Sprint's equip replacement plan. Sprint email support told me to see a sprint store which I'm going to do but from all your comments (and other forums) I don't see much that they can do.

At this point since the hardware is blessedly mine with no warranty to back me up, I see no risk in replacing the battery on my own but if my test of calling while on AC power still fails then I see little point. I did sign Tim Horton's petition though. Maybe some day that'll pay off but for now I'm cell phone-less and out $400 on the initial investment.
    snafui and pierrenxd: if you are out of warranty, just order the replacement battery kit from ebay and do it yourself (total with shipping is less than $20 bucks). I actually didnt realize how bad of a charge my treo had until I put in a new battery. I am back up to going a whole day without charging...and the drop calls are non-existent.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Thanks t2! will give it a go on ebay.
    Thanks t2gungho. I ordered a battery on ebay. $20 after shipping. I replaced it last night and so far so good! I haven't had a single dropped call yet. And with my old battery I was dropping every single one. I'll report back if it gets quirky again.
    Thanks t2gungho!! me two. got one off ebay. installed in minutes and have my beloved phone back. been a week and no issues. thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by snafui
    Thanks t2gungho. I ordered a battery on ebay. $20 after shipping. I replaced it last night and so far so good! I haven't had a single dropped call yet. And with my old battery I was dropping every single one. I'll report back if it gets quirky again.
    Great. I havent had any issue come up from it. Its like a new treo.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by pierrenxd
    Thanks t2gungho!! me two. got one off ebay. installed in minutes and have my beloved phone back. been a week and no issues. thanks for the help.
    I can't take any credit. I read about it when my treo had problems. Someone else had posted how to do it with some pics. Long live TC.

Misery loves Company!
    I just spent 1/2 day at the Sprint store trying to get my 600 replaced for the very same problem. they had the phone for 2 1/2 hours, and when I returned they told me it would be another 1/2 hour for him to simply perform a HARD RESET! (he was convinced it was a 3rd party software glitch). So I took my phone back, hard reset it in the store, and handed it back to him when it locked up again! They finally agreed to order a replacement ( I insured the phone with all the various plans they offer as I have replaced this phone before for the same problem). My best advice: Always get extended insurance on these phones! Anything this expensive needs it when it finally does kick the bucket.
    Choirguy
    hey,

yeah i had the same problems, with no service and soft resetting by itself. so i took it in the sprint store.

to make a long story short, dont talk to the counter guy, ask to speak directly to the techinican. he was checking out the phone, and was bummed out himself why the phone could not make calls out. the firmware is current. plus my camera was choppy looking too. so he took the phone to the back, then came back and said he opened up the phone and cleaned out the dust inside.

i dont' know if what he did worked or not, but the phone does work like normal now but they are getting me a replacement anyway. have to wait for a couple of days.

this techie was really cool and acted professionally. plus this would be my 4th treo600. wasted total of 3hours.

later.
    Quote Originally Posted by acidrumz
    hey,

yeah i had the same problems, with no service and soft resetting by itself. so i took it in the sprint store.

to make a long story short, dont talk to the counter guy, ask to speak directly to the techinican. he was checking out the phone, and was bummed out himself why the phone could not make calls out. the firmware is current. plus my camera was choppy looking too. so he took the phone to the back, then came back and said he opened up the phone and cleaned out the dust inside.

i dont' know if what he did worked or not, but the phone does work like normal now but they are getting me a replacement anyway. have to wait for a couple of days.

this techie was really cool and acted professionally. plus this would be my 4th treo600. wasted total of 3hours.

later.

Sounds similar to the hassles I got from Sprint. Lockline told me I had to take it to the store to have the problem verified. The Store told me I had to call Lockline!

The 2nd time I had a problem with the phone, I just called Lockline and told them the store told me to call them. They immediately shipped me a replacement Treo.

I hate dealing with Sprint and less trips the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    snafui and pierrenxd: if you are out of warranty, just order the replacement battery kit from ebay and do it yourself (total with shipping is less than $20 bucks). I actually didnt realize how bad of a charge my treo had until I put in a new battery. I am back up to going a whole day without charging...and the drop calls are non-existent.
    Materials needed: Battery, special Torx tool (read below), pen knife and double stick tape

I've had a Treo 600 since Feb of 2004, and have had wonderful value from it, until recently. This is a happy ending story over the last two weeks since battery replacement. I'm grateful for this discussion group

My phone didn't do well recently unless fully charged and in an area with a strong signal. That does not describe the signal at my house. Often got a Network error message on top left of screen as described in this thread. Sometimes I couldn't phone out, sometimes I saw the phone ring and couldn't answer it, and sometimes I could make a short phone call. Clearly not what I am paying for. For a while it did ok if I had the phone plugged in to the wall charger, but I didn't need a land based wireless, now did I?

When I called Sprint the first time, the fellow on the phone said something as an off hand comment that saved me hundreds of $$$. In describing the issue, he said first let's do a network upgrade. If that doesn't work call back..... and by the way you may find more information in the discussion section of treocentral.com

That's why I came here. My call back to Sprint got me a person who informed me that the phone was bad, it was out of warranty by two months, I needed a replacement, and I couldn't switch phone companies, because I recently upgraded my contract.

Regarding the above..... There is a difference in who answers your phone call requesting help.

I found Treo Central, got this discussion thread and read the above recommendation. My Ebay battery cost $25 including delivery and a special tool (search Treo 600 on ebay) delivered in less than 4 business days (Resurs Corporation on Broadway in NY - there may be other vendors). Took out the rubber dust gaskets gently with a pen knife, used the special tool (a tiny Torx), unscrewed the tiny screws (STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS OVER A LIGHT COLORED TABLE WITH LOTS OF LIGHT AND SPACE - the little screws can walk) and followed the directions that came with battery. One of the screws is longer than the others - it attaches the antenna to the phone on the top right of the rear. Was careful to open the back up a little bit at a time all the way around.

After it was removed I saw the battery. Instructions say to disconnect battery and lift off of the green substrate. Disconnect was easy, and I was paranoid about getting the old battery up, as it was attached with strong double stick tape. That little pen knife was great. I was careful in getting it up. Ta DA!! it came up. I put two strips of double stick tape on the back of the new battery, seated the battery (it is a little different - and simpler - from the original battery), and put the screws back in (remember the long one goes with the antenna). Replaced 4 of the five gaskets easily. The gasket that covers the screw for the antenna still isn't going in, but doesn't affect phone at the moment. Anyone help with that gasket?

After two weeks, the phone is working as if it were new, and I didn't have to buy another phone.... so far. For $25 I have fixed the problem that I anticipated would cost at least $250-400 for a refurbished replacement.

Will report again if anything changes. Thanks again for this discussion group.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast