Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I had the same "no service" problem in Dec. '04, after my Sprint Treo 600 was about 14 months old. I bought a new battery from www.PDAparts.com and installed it. The new battery has worked well for the last four months, and I have seen improvement in my battery life. I recommend doing a search for battery replacement. There is a great deal of information on this subject.
    thx. I have read the battery threads. Was wondering about the 'bad' esn list. It was mentioned twice, but that was it. Search turned up no hits.

Thanks in advance
    Sprint has documented a 'known issue' with this phone that reads: 'Goes into network search mode when attempting an outgoing call; investigation into the issue revealed a hardware failure in the battery connector; this issue can be compounded in low battery or poor service coverage conditions; this issue affects ESN ranging from 09600716001 - 09600864216'
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriplett
    Sprint has documented a 'known issue' with this phone that reads: 'Goes into network search mode when attempting an outgoing call; investigation into the issue revealed a hardware failure in the battery connector; this issue can be compounded in low battery or poor service coverage conditions; this issue affects ESN ranging from 09600716001 - 09600864216'
    I've been having the same problem of 'no service' and my TREO falls within the ESN range. If it is a known bug, any idea what the best chance of a phone replacement is? Where should I go?
    There is no chance that Sprint will replace the phone past their 12 month warranty. HOWEVER, as posted previously elsewhere on this board, if you bought with a credit card with EXTENDED WARRANTY features, you may be able to utilize this to get a new phone. This is precisely the step I'm undertaking at present.
    I had the same problem the past week, so I finally called Best Buy (I have the service plan.) and got the phone replaced. My new phone came in today, and it is working like new--no call freezing. I thought LightWav was the culprit, but the new phone is working fine now.
  7. GKB
    I've had this problem, just like everyone else on the page. And while it may seem a battery replacement is an answer, chances are it was the removal of the back cover that accidentally fixed the problem.....

I'm no engineer, but my phone was out of warranty, I dropped it, and the problem started, and Sprint's store "tech" was about as much "tech" help as an old push lawn mower--he went in back and came out to declare "Phone's shot...you need a new one...let me show you these new models...." Problem was, I noticed that the antenna was still askew--he never opened the thing. So I did.

Bravely inside I wiggled the antenna back into place, and it worked again just fine.....until I dropped it again. i know, take better care....

At any rate, I opened it again, and wiggled again, and this time it DIDN'T work again....so i noticed the damn design of the phone has three locations whereby the back cover electronically connects to some aspect of the main phone circuit board by flimsy sprung metal (or in the case of the speaker phone; actual springs--like a beverly hillbillies idea). Engineers probably thought this a clever solution to some design problem, but it seemed to me that this was easily a place to get out of alignment when clumsy folks like me drop the phone. Sure enough, after wiggling them all, it worked again....for a while. Dropped again--don't ask. Long story short, i think i have eliminated the antenna connection and the speaker phone connection as the problem. That leaves two weird little connections at the bottom end of the phone...both sprung metal parallel connections from the back cover to the main board, both really small and easily misaligned, and both, oddly, mounted in rubber boots that wiggle around in their casing mount. One is round; one is more rectangular. One of those, when re-aligned, lets the phone work again. Mine works again now. I'm not sure what a permanent answer is, but I'll tell you this, the design of this phone is wacked...and i suspect more folks have this problem than post to this forum....and I seem to find the treo site weirdly silent on this problem...hmmmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dredding
    I've been having the same "no service" problem on my Verizon Treo 600. I notice that sometimes after I place a call that doesn't connect, the LED on top near the antenna stays red (or maybe orange) not blinking green. I can reset by turning off wireless and turning back on but I still can't complete a call. I have also noticed that this tends to happen when my battery meter is somewhere below 3/4 full. It also seems to solve the problem when I plug into a wall or car adaptor. So my diagnosis is that the problem relates to less than full power. Anyone else have any theories?
    This is extremely interesting. I've been having the same problem the last couple of days, but only intermittently. I simply couldn't find any pattern to it. However, now that I think of it, it does seem to happen when my battery is below 75% (which is not often). I'm going to the Sprint store tomorrow to get it replaced, so I'll make sure to drain the battery tonight to see if the problem manifests itself more consistently.
    I just wanted to follow up my thread from last night by letting you all know that I tested the hypothesis that this problem is related to a low battery level and... it's true! I drained it down to 25%, and I can't make a single outgoing call! I hope this will make it easier to convince the Sprint store to do a warranty swap.

Good luck to everyone else with this problem!
    SUCCESS! Visa has authorized me to purchase a new phone, any phone, up to the original $599 price and they will refund the money. I'm still deciding whether to 'upgrade' to the 650 or abandon Treo completely based on what I've learned on this board and others....guess I like it so much I'll suck it up and buy another....
    Intermitant problems are the problem - its a battery connector defect which seems to work one moment and not the next. My service deteriorated slowly over two weeks to the point of NO service. But for the last 2 weeks it's as if there is no problem - don't delay getting this corrected within the 12 month warranty period.
    My apologies. My theory that it's related to the battery's charge is simply not accurate.

However, I'm happy to report that today I took it to the store and they confirmed that it has a problem, and they ordered me a replacement unit which should arrive next week.
    Oh nooo after +- 14 months (looks like the magic number in this thread) I am getting connection problems when making calls. So probably it is this problem. Unfortunately here in holland it was not available so I ordered it from Hong Kong via a friend. Changing the phone or going to a shop will be out of the question then. Man this sucks...especially when so many people have this problem...
    My Treo is within that ESN range, and it just started having the network-search problem in the last couple of days. Yesterday and today the battery was charged up more than 3/4 full, but I couldn't get into my voicemail. It would freeze up and then do an automatic soft reset, turning off wireless mode. After reading this board I tried making the call with the phone plugged in, and that worked. But obviously I can't always use it with the charger plugged in! I'm out of warranty--bought it in February 2004--but maybe I can look into that extended-warranty thing if I can remember what credit card I used to buy it.
    Glad I read this post. I'm having the same type of "no service" problem on my VZW Treo 600, started about 3-4 weeks ago. 3-4 bars, make a call and wham "no service". I subscribe to their data plan and I get dropped there too. I thought I was going crazy. I was even thinking of buying a passive repeater for $600. July my Treo has its first birthday. I'm going in to VZW today with the battery drained down just to make sure I have problems with the "mechanic" I mean sales person present; good call ndirish2001!
    UPDATE: Instead of going in to a store and dealing with a salesperson, I called the VZW CS line: (800) 922-0204. I called from a land line and explained to them my random "no service" problems. Without hesitation or additional questions, he stated the phone has malfunctioning. Since I am under warranty, he put me in touch with the Data Dept to send me a replacement phone. Sweet! Wow, an actual good CS experience with VZW.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriplett
    SUCCESS! Visa has authorized me to purchase a new phone, any phone, up to the original $599 price and they will refund the money. I'm still deciding whether to 'upgrade' to the 650 or abandon Treo completely based on what I've learned on this board and others....guess I like it so much I'll suck it up and buy another....
    How did you do this?
    I have a Sprint Treo 600 with the exact same problem, but it ISN'T in the ESN range previously reported. It's my second one in a year.

I found on another Forum a link to a petition to Verizon (not Sprint, but thought I'd share):

http://www.petitiononline.com/treo600/petition.html
  19. khr
    I just had the same experience with VZW. Thanks for the tip. They are sending me my replacement Treo by Fed Ex next day. Cool!

Just one thing I was wondering. I didn't have any problems like this until:
    1) I started having some intermittent problems with the headphone jack
    2) I started using a holster case that has a magnetic clasp

Any possibility these are linked to the problems in this thread?
    Casio BOSS -> Newton -> Palm Personal -> Palm V -> Sony CLIE -> Treo 600 (x3)
    Sprint is absolutely of no help. I called a couple of times and each time they "opened a ticket" on it and would get back to me. Each time when I called regarding the ticket, "no resolution" was the answer I was given.
    Because it is 15 months old, they will not replace or repair it and suggest that I buy a new phone for $399.... I think not!
    I just bit the bullet and picked one up on ebay for $150. Seems to be fine, but I'm sure it will also fail eventually. Hopefully more than 15 months.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast