Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    from my understanding that my treo 650 will work with mac now because palmone supporting it (correct me if im wrong). no need for 3rd party software

also i need advise before buying the power book or ibook??
    i never used MAC before is it user friendly?

also what is the diffrent between IBOOK and POWER BOOK? AND WHICH ONE U RECOMMEND

THANKS
    P1 isn't supporting the mac as they should. The 650 comes with the palm desktop for mac. However a lot of mac users use The Missing Sync, it's easy and has some conduits for itunes and iphoto.

Macs are VERY USER FRIENDLY. OSX is a wonderful stable and secure operating system. It has unix at it's core, which helps me tremendously.

Now as for a laptop reccomendation, that really depends on what you use your computer for. The differences between the ibook and power book are as follows roughly speaking of courese. Check the exact specs for yourself.
    ibooks are the budget apple laptops. They are really good for students and people who generally like to take digi pics, play music, word processing, email, browsing etc.
    Their processors are slower, their wireless connectivity is outstanding when compared to other laptops. They have rubber around the hard drives to protect from bumps and drops.

The powerbook are geared towards professionals and power users, multitaskers etc.. They have faster processors, they are extremely light and thin, and are a joy to use.
    I personally have a powerbook 1.5GHz Superdrive with 1gb of ram. I use my powerbook for amatuer level photoshop work, Video editing, and scientific simulations related to my disssertation in Computational Physics. Both models are excellent examples of how a computer should be built. Please write back with more questions, I'd be glad to help
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
  3.    #3  
    from my understanding that my treo 650 will work with mac now because palmone supporting it (correct me if im wrong). no need for 3rd party software

also i need advise before buying the power book or ibook??
    i never used MAC before is it user friendly?

also what is the diffrent between IBOOK and POWER BOOK? AND WHICH ONE U RECOMMEND

THANKS
  4.    #4  
    THANKS
    does your powe book came with bluetooth? i dont know if bestbuy.com there macs are customs with wifi and bluetooth it doesnt say wifi?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395889623

this one 200$ LESS NO DVD RW

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395889510

if im not mistaken the missing sync can be replaced by sd card reader FOR music and photo transfer?

one last question
    what is the AirPort Extreme? and can power book handle games?
  5.    #5  
    Does the apple logo on the outside of the laptop glow? or its flourescent clolour only
    Bluetooth is standard across the pb line. Maybe the ibook line as well not sure. I would check out the Missing sync's review on macworld or treo central to get a better idea. You can use an SD reader to transfer large files. MS allows you to mount your treo like an SD card reader. The apple logo does glow but it's not flourescent. When the computer is asleep the lcd pulses like a heartbeat.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Powerbooks come with Bluetooth installed. iBooks can have it added as an option (or just buy a USB BT dongle)

Airport Extreme is more commonly known as WiFi in the PC world.

Macs are pretty user friendly. It'll take some adjusting though. I use both PC and Macs and am comfortable on either platform. It just takes a little time.

As to iBook/Powerbook, JFMcDowell gave a reasonable explanation of the diffs. Powerbooks also have an internal "shock absorber" now that will detect if you drop your Powerbook, and then park the drive. The 15" and 17" PB keyboard lights up. Some different plugs, FireWire 800 as opposed to 400 on the iBook. DVI out on the PB's...I'm missing a few things i'm sure.

And yes, the little Apple lights when either the iBook or Powerbook are on, and the lid is open. It's a neat glow, I'm guessing it gets it's light from the LCD display, but I'm not sure.

I have the new 14" iBook w/Superdrive, and I love it. I needed at least a 14" screen, so the 12" Powerbook was out for me. I didn't feel the extra $800 would be worth it to be to get the 15" PB w/superdrive. I already have a Dual G4 desktop that serves me well. The notebook is just something I need for travelling, or lounging in bed or on the couch.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by hberbout123
    Does the apple logo on the outside of the laptop glow? or its flourescent clolour only
    It glows!
    I would suggest seeing if there is a real apple store in your area (not one of the ones that is just a corner in a chain such as CompUSA), and go see them first hand. I am a developer with a RHCE that used to be torn between some apps in Windows & the power of Linux. Now I live in one os--OSX. Don't get me wrong, it is not the perfect solution, because being that it is such a small market share, mac users get over looked, but I think that is going to change. Additonally, the mac way of thinking is pretty different for the PC way, so things are not alway obvious, but once you figure it out, you will love it. Finally, I *HATE* not having the right click button, and I think that is a major flaw & a pain to hold ctrl then clicking to get the context menu (I know that I can use an external mouse--but it is a laptop, which spends most of it's life as a laptop not a laptop on a desk).
    Quote Originally Posted by puckett_jw
    Finally, I *HATE* not having the right click button, and I think that is a major flaw & a pain to hold ctrl then clicking to get the context menu (I know that I can use an external mouse--but it is a laptop, which spends most of it's life as a laptop not a laptop on a desk).
    I feel your pain. I hate that!!!!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Powerbooks come with Bluetooth installed. iBooks can have it added as an option (or just buy a USB BT dongle)

Airport Extreme is more commonly known as WiFi in the PC world.

As to iBook/Powerbook, JFMcDowell gave a reasonable explanation of the diffs. Powerbooks also have an internal "shock absorber" now that will detect if you drop your Powerbook, and then park the drive. The 15" and 17" PB keyboard lights up. Some different plugs, FireWire 800 as opposed to 400 on the iBook. DVI out on the PB's...I'm missing a few things i'm sure.

And yes, the little Apple lights when either the iBook or Powerbook are on, and the lid is open. It's a neat glow, I'm guessing it gets it's light from the LCD display, but I'm not sure.

I have the new 14" iBook w/Superdrive, and I love it. I needed at least a 14" screen, so the 12" Powerbook was out for me. I didn't feel the extra $800 would be worth it to be to get the 15" PB w/superdrive. I already have a Dual G4 desktop that serves me well. The notebook is just something I need for travelling, or lounging in bed or on the couch.
    well thank u guys for your help. now i have some clues and im happy that the apple logo glow(this is the main reason222222

now its very hard to make the choice betwen ibook and powerbook specialy i dont think i can live with 12 inch screen so my option is ibook 14 inch

i wish there is real apple store in my town only compusa
    You'll love the iBook. And be glad you don't have an Apple Store. I bought my iBook from an Apple Store near me, and could easily have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on a new G5 tower and a 30" Cinema display (The most incredible monitors out there.) Even the new iMac which I hated, until actually seeing one in person. Wow. Oh and don't forget an iPod while you're at it. Yep...stay away from Apple Stores!!!

Quote Originally Posted by puckett_jw
    Additonally, the mac way of thinking is pretty different for the PC way, so things are not alway obvious, but once you figure it out, you will love it. Finally, I *HATE* not having the right click button, and I think that is a major flaw & a pain to hold ctrl then clicking to get the context menu (I know that I can use an external mouse--but it is a laptop, which spends most of it's life as a laptop not a laptop on a desk).
    There are many ways that people use their computers. No one way is right or wrong but I would like to suggest that you think about Apple's way as not being a pain or a major flaw. The way I see it, it is quite the oppisate. Let me explain and I hope that you will find that it makes sense.

Apple has chosen to keep things simple; a one-button mouse.
    Certainly not overwhelming.

It is obvious that in sitting down at the keyboard, you will be using... the keyboard. Shortcut keys are provided for just about every function in every application written; on both Windows and Mac OSes. You use them, your friends use them, your parents uses them, everybody uses them to one degree or another. The more you rely on a computer for daily tasks, the more you find yourself picking up on these shortcuts. It is only natural that as a person works typing a little bit, then mousing around, typing, then more mousing that one hand will stay on the keyboard while the other goes to move the mouse. A person will find themselves working like this to be more efficient.

So, while one hand remains on the keyboard, it can easily hit that command key or option key or control key or shift key or escape or whatever to become more efficient and have access to more options than you ever could with a 2-button (or 3 or 4-button) mouse.

Then; consider the move to a laptop machine, as you had mentioned in your above post.

You are not going to be able to easily pull out (and in some locations, it will just be impossible) and plug in a mouse be it a 1-button OR 2-button mouse. This is another reason the keyboard hotkeys, functioning in conjuction with those cursor clicks, will obviously come in more handy than a 2 button mouse.

Apple's way seems a little better now, maybe... no?

I just think everything that Microsoft does is so convoluted. I mean jeez, why would you put the "Shutdown" function in the "Startup" menu... why would you make people rely on a 2-button mouse then take that capability away when they go mobile with a laptop?
    Last edited by archie; 03/09/2005 at 11:08 AM.
    I agree once you go mac it will you an addict. check out the apple web page they do a good job of explaining and showing you everything. Compusa is ok for displaying apple products in Tally they are pretty good with their info. Also sign up and register on the apple discussions page, plenty of friendly and knowlegable people.
    I agree that once you go Mac...you'll never go back. It takes a while to get used to coming from a Windows platform, but once you find your way around and get some useful add ons like a scrolling two button mouse, Fruit Menu (shareware program) to create drop down menus, etc. You'll get used to things and take comfort in those moments when a major virus is attacking the Winblows platform and you can surf the net without worry and pop up windows (Safari tackles them all).

Some good Mac sites to asssist in the process:

discussions.info.apple.com
    www.macworld.com
    www.dealmac.com
    www.smalldog.com
    www.macnn.com
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I like this thread. I've been using a Mac for longer than I'd like to admit - never had a PC. I have not yet had an issue with not being able to find software I need or open a Windows file. I sometimes have to save files a little differently for windows users but it's never been a major. Make the change, you'll be happy (and you wont' have to put as much money into Bill's pocket (excluding Microsoft Office)).

I have one of the original TiG4 Powerbooks and love it. Plenty of power to do video editing while on the road, handle all of my iTunes files, and, oh yeah, sync with my Treo 650. I just transfer large files with my SD card and use iSync/HotSync to handle iCal, Address Book and Tasks. It also seems to be backing up photos from the Treo camera.
  17.    #17  
    thank you guys very much for your help making me decide to dump WINDOWS I Will be getting the MAC notebook (glowing logo this why ifell in love with MAC

do u think ibook will be good for my needs
    ( the screen very important to me 14")
    i noticed all the ibook arround 1499 the have 256 mb ram is this enough?
    im willng to spent 1699

i will be using for
    1-internet i have DLINK WIFI in my house cable do i need to buy special equipments
    2- synch with my treo650 gsm using DUN BLUETOOTH
    3-i have sony camcoder dsc -h30
    4-photoshop ITH MY SONY P71
    5-access email corporate MY WORK
    6-downloading movies songs like KAZAA
    7-games like doom
    8-somthing like microsoft office for word excell
    9- BURNING CD mp3 etc.. (is there cheap external dvd burner for mac)
    THANKS
    OK when you go to the mac you dump kazza you use limewire. Share responsibily and don't download things you shouldn't.
    Photoshop takes alot of power you will probably notice a slight hang up when processing big files. Email access should be fine.
    MS Office for the Mac is better than MS Office for windows and Microsoft said so itself!!!!! www.mactopia.com
    Gaming on the ibook, may not be desirable if you want to run at native resolution, I expect you'll be dropping frames.

I stopped to re read your post and there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD that 256mb is enough for OS X. Definitely not enough for your predicted usage.
    My one gripe with Apple is that they refuse to ship with a min of 512mb as a native spec. They know OS X won't run as smoothly with 256, heck they ship review models to mag editors and tech gurus and they ship with 512 mb. Well anyways invest in RAM from a third party, it's way cheaper than letting apple do it for you.
    Not sure about external dvd drives, I just stick with the superdrive which is a BTO option on the ibook. Superdrive is a dvd burner.
    But then again if you need a dvd burner and you plan on doing medium vid editing it really sounds like you need a powerbook.
    You'll thank yourself later.
  19.    #19  
    so 512 my only option..

also i have to purchase it from bestbuy.com because i have their card and the money is good only towered purchase from there store or website and all there i books are 256
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099387746003

so i f i need to upgrade to 512 may be its 200usd or more mind is weel go with this
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395889623
    I'm on my treo can you describe the bb links plz?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast