Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by onmymarc
    I am probably one of the few who "did go back" to PC.
    I hated my powerbook G4. I found the user interface much "less" user friendly than the PC's.
    I also found that the market share issue is big....as many web sites cannot be viewed on mac, due to the pissing contest gates and mac had years ago. Many sites are written for Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher. This is a big problem. Safari does not work on these sites. One fix was to get the PC emulator for Mac which basically opened up a "PC" enviornment on your laptop. You could actually run both operating systems on your computer simultaneously. But it ran PC very very slow. And Gates stopped writing Internet Explorer for Mac at 5.0. I was sh*t outta luck!
    So before you buy your mac, really determine why you want to be "different" and use the mac and drop that chunk of cash down. If you are an artist/musician then is completely understand, but if you ae in the "business" world, IMO mac is not for you! Entourage (their version of Office) is similar....but still not as user friendly.
    Good Luck...
    All good points. The IE6 issue is why i have yet to fully give up my PC's. I really don't game anymore (only console gaming), so the software I need is readily available (and often better) on the Mac platform.

You can try Firefox with User Agent on a Mac to spoof some sites into thinking you have IE6, but in general, if you need an ActiveX site, it can be a pain. I can still do my online banking, and ninety-nine percent of my internet stuff with the Mac though.

As to user freindly...well, to each his own. If you've been a Windows user for years, there is an adjustment. But, if you've been a Mac guy for years, and found yourself on a Windows box, guess what? Same reaction. Luckily I've been a user of both for years.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  2.    #42  
    I hated my powerbook G4. I found the user interface much "less" user friendly than the PC's.
    I also found that the market share issue is big....as many web sites cannot be viewed on mac, due to the pissing contest gates and mac had years ago. Many sites are written for Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher. This is a big problem. Safari does not work on these sites. One fix was to get the PC emulator for Mac which basically opened up a "PC" enviornment on your laptop. You could actually run both operating systems on your computer simultaneously. But it ran PC very very slow. And Gates stopped writing Internet Explorer for Mac at 5.0. I was sh*t outta luck!
    So before you buy your mac, really determine why you want to be "different" and use the mac and drop that chunk of cash down. If you are an artist/musician then is completely understand, but if you ae in the "business" world, IMO mac is not for you! Entourage (their version of Office) is similar....but still not as user friendly.
    Good Luck...
    What type of sites you are refering to( you cannot browse on a mac)

im not a buisness man im a lab scientist i need it for work and internet browsing ,synch with treo 650 also photoshop downloading music ,outlook words, excell
    tnanx
    Good Luck...
    This is funny to read onmymarc because Microsoft actually stopped development of Internet Explorer for the PC as well. They were forced to in order to continue moving their business along without abiding to that big court decision some 4 years ago (it was a loop hole for them). But, since IE was only actually secure for 7 days out of the entire year of 2004, they had to open up development again to rewrite... errr, patch the application.

Not sure why anyone would want to go through an experience like that but, hey... whatever.

To address your last point in regards to Office, the last I checked, the Mac version still had more features than the PC version (but maybe they have since upgraded). Granted this says nothing of the useability, which you may be unaware of with your nose pointed down as you trudge on with Microsoft Windows, ignoring the superior interface of OS X.
    I've only been on a Mac for just over 2 years and I love it. Now my main problem with Apple is the video card they put in iMacs. I don't need a PowerMac, just give me a real video card and I will be happy.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123