Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    the first link:1499 USD

Apple® iBook® G4 with 14.1" Display
    Model: M9628LL/A
    This full-featured notebook is built to resist the rigors of a strenuous life on the go with a durable yet lightweight frame, and also includes a DVD SuperDrive and ATI graphics.

PowerPC G4 processor 1.33GHz with Velocity Engine

256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 1.25GB

Slot-loading DVD-R/CD-RW SuperDrive

SECOND LINK:1699USD

Apple® PowerBook® G4 with 12.1" Display

Model: M9691LL/A

At only 4.6 lbs., you might think this computer is a lightweight, but think again. With a DVD burner, Bluetooth technology and wireless networking, this laptop is a contender.
    PowerPC G4 processor 1.5GHz with Velocity Engine
    512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 1.25GB
    Slot-loading DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive

THE ONLY PROBLEM THE POWER BOOK IS 12'' SCREEN
    I'd go for the bigger screen, you can always add RAM later.

I usually buy RAM aftermarket because it is much cheaper.
    Have had luck with http://www.datamem.com (a 512 chip is 85$ for the iBook)

One downside to the iBook is it only has one ram slot I believe.
    I know the PowerBooks have two. So if you want to upgrade your ram
    on the iBook you have to ditch your old chip.

Regarding the screen, another trick I sometimes do is...
    If I'm hooked up at home I have a spare 20" monitor I plug
    into and use as the screen.

BTW, the D-Link wi-fi router should work ok
    and your Sony Video Cam may have iLink wich is the same
    as FireWire. MS office runs great on OSX and there are cheaper
    options that are available that are *mostly compatible with office.
    One is at http://www.thinkfree.com
  3.    #23  
    oh thanks vety good point i thought the RAM for mac tripple the price for Windows.
    can u install it your self or by technician
    Install yourself, very easy...
    http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/doityourself/
    Now if I could only get my PowerBook to connect to the web through my VZW Treo with WirelessModem
  6.    #26  
    Did u try pdanet and shadowmite DUN ?
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredhat
    One downside to the iBook is it only has one ram slot I believe.
    I know the PowerBooks have two. So if you want to upgrade your ram
    on the iBook you have to ditch your old chip.
    No. It has 256MB built in, and has one available slot, so you can put a 1GB stick in, to get 1.25GB RAM (PC2100 SODIMM 200pin.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    if you're comparing the 12" ibook and powerbook to the 14" ibook screen, they're all the same resolution.

1024x768. always have been. same amount of screen real estate. only the 15" and 17" powerbooks have a larger resolution.

personally, unless your eyes are fading, the 12" powerbook packs more punch and has better specs, more upgradeable ram, and more portable. i'm considering one for my next purchase, as i've had the 15" models ever since they were 15" (previous powerbooks back in '99 were 14").

also before your year is up, buy applecare. it extends your warranty another couple of years, and on any portable, it's well worth it. in one hard drive failure, your applecare has been paid for...

even though you have this gift card to best buy, i'd get my additional ram elsewhere, perhaps www.crucial.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by hberbout123
    Did u try pdanet and shadowmite DUN ?
    PDANet won't work on a Mac.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Try this link in addition the the DUN hack

Won't work, using a Treo 600 on Verizon.

Although the instructions are tempting. I could justify
    getting a 650 and a new powerbook (with bluetooth)

Gonna hold off and try to get Wirelessmodem to work...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    if you're comparing the 12" ibook and powerbook to the 14" ibook screen, they're all the same resolution.

1024x768. always have been. same amount of screen real estate. only the 15" and 17" powerbooks have a larger resolution.

personally, unless your eyes are fading, the 12" powerbook packs more punch and has better specs, more upgradeable ram, and more portable. i'm considering one for my next purchase, as i've had the 15" models ever since they were 15" (previous powerbooks back in '99 were 14").

also before your year is up, buy applecare. it extends your warranty another couple of years, and on any portable, it's well worth it. in one hard drive failure, your applecare has been paid for...

even though you have this gift card to best buy, i'd get my additional ram elsewhere, perhaps www.crucial.com.

i dont have gift card from bestbuy, its long story i bought VPR matrix laptop 2 years ago (p4 3.2 512mb 15.1" widescreen) also i bought extended plan now this lap top breakdown 3 times according to the policy they should replace for new one but VPR matrix discontinued so they offer me credit towered my bestbuy card 1399$
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    PDANet won't work on a Mac.
    what about Bluetooth DUN?
    Possible, see my link in post #30

15.    #35  
    i know about this link i m ean did u tried it?
    Quote Originally Posted by puckett_jw
    Finally, I *HATE* not having the right click button, and I think that is a major flaw & a pain to hold ctrl then clicking to get the context menu (I know that I can use an external mouse--but it is a laptop, which spends most of it's life as a laptop not a laptop on a desk).
    You should down load SideTrack. It's a great shareware app that makes the touchpad on your iBook or Powerbook "clickable". I have mine set for both horozontal and vertical scroll, and to act as a right-mouse button when tapped.

You can find it on Versiontracker.com
    that's a good way to do it, but honestly, i don't understand all these people that need to right-click so much on the Mac. i suppose a have a trackball for my tower and use it (rarely) there, but on my powerbook i just hit ctrl and click. key commands seem faster than 'right-clicking' anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by hberbout123
    i know about this link i m ean did u tried it?
    Tried it? Yes. Not extensively though. Just enough to get it running and go "Oooooo!!!! "

Haven't had to really use it though, so can't say if it has hiccups or how smooth it is.

19.    #39  
    Let see if it will work with my future mac
    treo 650 gsm cingular

i think i will go with power book 15" its one life time buy
    I am probably one of the few who "did go back" to PC.
    I hated my powerbook G4. I found the user interface much "less" user friendly than the PC's.
    I also found that the market share issue is big....as many web sites cannot be viewed on mac, due to the pissing contest gates and mac had years ago. Many sites are written for Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher. This is a big problem. Safari does not work on these sites. One fix was to get the PC emulator for Mac which basically opened up a "PC" enviornment on your laptop. You could actually run both operating systems on your computer simultaneously. But it ran PC very very slow. And Gates stopped writing Internet Explorer for Mac at 5.0. I was sh*t outta luck!
    So before you buy your mac, really determine why you want to be "different" and use the mac and drop that chunk of cash down. If you are an artist/musician then is completely understand, but if you ae in the "business" world, IMO mac is not for you! Entourage (their version of Office) is similar....but still not as user friendly.
    Good Luck...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast