Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    This is the best smartphone out there, BAR NONE. I'm so glad not to be doing the two-three device shuffle (Cingular, what took you so long to release this gem). Other than poor alerts in Versamail (you have to leave the stupid chirping system alerts on to get Versamail notices), this thing has been problem free. And yes, I do have thrid party apps loaded (Docs to Go 7; DateBk5; etc).

I agree with the old man ( )
    There is nothing that is available now that even closely resembles this device. Now , mind you, we are techo-savy and like fooling with the gadgets. I have one partner, who still, BTW, doesn't know how to reboot his pc, who lasted one week with the 650 before he sent it back.

I am still totally enamored with the device......(until a sexier one comes along for me to lust after )
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Honestly, what else is there on the market that can do all the functions that the T650 can?? Nothing!! Try comparing it to a Blackberry and you'll come up empty handed with the lack of features that the Blackberry possesses. You won't find a better PIM, phone, camera, word processor, spreadsheet, alarm clock, grocery list maker, advanced function calculator, gamer, etc in the world!

I'll admit, I've had my count of frustrations here and there with the T650, but it's like a marriage. Sometimes she pisses me off and I go running for the newest model, but her luster and love always call me back and by the end of the night we're in the sack again.....
    .....oh wait, did I just say that out loud? Uhh, no your honor, I didn't know she was only 3 months old!! I swear!! Her buttons were so illustrious that she shined as if though she were a mature and brilliant spectacle of aging technology.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Went from a spotty 600 to a 650 and had no resets at all until I started using Versamail. Now I average one reset a day because of some gmail/versamail quirk but I can live with that.
    Treo 650 is not perfect.....nothing is. But my wife and I are one happy Treo family.
    This is my first "smartphone" and I love my 650. The only time that it has reset is when I was trying to use some aftermarket software that wasn't 650-compatible. Otherwise, it's been 100% rock solid. It does so many amazing things.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    April 1st let it be known
    I just dug out my old Palm Pilot professional and my Kyocera 6035 smartphone... lol, now THOSE were dogs.

Interestingly though, honestly... the actual Palm OS hasn't really come that far since.

If anyone wants to give PalmOne a swift kick in the behind to perfect the 650, the petition will be up and running in a few days on treo650update.com, keep checking.

I'm an original Palm fan and I'd like nothing better than to see the 650 reach it's true potential.
    April 1st for what?... a fix/patch?
    millsda2... umm, your scaring the straights man, lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    The only problems I have had have been caused by 3rd party apps. Once I deleted the trouble-makers, it has been almost problem free.
    So no problems with low volume level??
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    No you are not alone. I love it and was an experienced power user of the 600. Over 95% of the issues listed on this forum are software, not TREO 650 related.
    Low volume level is not a software issue.
    I agree with dgelfuso... it's all software... and likely the memory issue is to blame for more of the problems than most of us realize... I feel we will all discover that a lot of the problems will come back to the memory. It's truly the bain of most 3rd party app developers existence....

They jumped to quickly into it without a heads up to the community... yeah yeah, I know... no I mean a REAL heads up.... and an assist portion of their site for developers before the 650 came out... proactively.
    I mean't "too" quickly.
    I just dug out my old Palm Pilot professional and my Kyocera 6035 smartphone... lol, now THOSE were dogs.

Interestingly though, honestly... the actual Palm OS hasn't really come that far since.
    While I love my 650, there is one thing that really bothers me compared to a good old Palm (any will do): not being able to turn on the thing and be exactly where I was when I turned if off. That's is the number one thing on usability. How often you are in the middle of something and lose your place because the thing turn itself off or your turn it off. It seems like a little thing but having to wait for the 650 to turn on (a couple of seconds), then go the last app you were using does require a bit of thought and effort. Sure, it's something I am fully capable of doing, but as a tool, I would rather it does as many of the brainless tasks as it can without my guidance because that's what I bought it for.
    Last edited by unclejung; 03/10/2005 at 12:47 AM.
    things that make you go "hmmmm"
    It sounds like the majority of the posters in this thread are either newcomers to the Palm OS in general or they had very old Palm PDA's before ugprading to the T650. Well I had the Kyocera 6035, the Kyocera 7135, then the Treo 600. I had seemless upgrading with each of those models. The Treo 650 broke that. Simply because of the memory flaw I am unable to use the same number of applications that I had on the Treo 600 even though they both have the same amount of physical ram. PalmOne's explanations are unacceptable. They should have forseen this. Why was the T650 only equiped with 32megs of ram anyway? Isn't it supposed to be an upgrade to the T600? So why not 64megs to start? Why is this company, PalmOne, so friggin stingy with ram across all their models? I just don't understand it. PocketPC's come out everyday with ooodles more ram and yes I know the PocketPC OS isn't as efficient and that the apps use up more ram but still. The excuses from Palm that "most users don't use all those features anyway" or "we like to keep it simple" ring hollow in the face of constantly declining marketshare for PalmSource and PalmOne.

I love the phone don't get me wrong but after the fiasco of the Treo 600 quality issues I expected the company to do much better with the Treo 650. So much for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    So no problems with low volume level??
    No volume problems.

And my hearing is not great. After subsequent pursuits as a rock drummer, scuba diver and pistol shooting, my ears have taken a beating over the last 48 years.

I use my Treo 650 mainly at home, in the office and while driving the car. Even at high speed with some road noise, I have had no volume problems with local and international calls.

The only time I had trouble hearing was walking down Silom Road in Bangkok. But you'd need a megaphone strapped to the side of your head to hear comfortably while walking down Silom Road...

I have used it with and without the SE HBH-660 and the volume is OK, provided you get the HBH-660 in the right place (I am going to try the gels talked about in the BT threads to see if I can get the HBH-660 into place more quickly).

Volume is OK on my Treo.
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    It sounds like the majority of the posters in this thread are either newcomers to the Palm OS in general or they had very old Palm PDA's before ugprading to the T650.
    Nope. Been using Palm since the very first model. Pretty much stayed on the upgrade path. Always been happy - after comparing Palm with the alternatives...

I prefer to think of this as one of those "glass half full, half empty" issues.

I see the Treo 650 as the best integrated phone / PDA I have ever used. Sure it has some glitches. But that's the price you pay to be an early adopter. I have every confidence that there is a hoard of PalmOne people working on ironing out those glitches as we chat. Couple of months time, these glitches'll be long forgotten.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy using this excellent piece of technology...
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral

If anyone wants to give PalmOne a swift kick in the behind to perfect the 650, the petition will be up and running in a few days on treo650update.com, keep checking.

I'm an original Palm fan and I'd like nothing better than to see the 650 reach it's true potential.
    Your site has said a few days for about a week. Sounds like you are as good at estimating and living up to your word as you accuse P1 of being. Perhaps you should seek employment there.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    No volume problems.
    More information, please: unlocked GSM model? firmware version? (1.14 or 1.15?)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast