1.    #1  
    Background: I have a friend who is always on-call. (He is a doctor) When he plays tennis, he cannot carry his Treo 650 (?) at the same time. Every few minutes, he must walk over to his Treo and check for missed calls as it is easy for the ring to be overpowered by outdoor noises.

I suggested to him that a Bluetooth headset may give him the freedom to move about the court (roughly 50 ft by 100 ft) without having to check his phone every few balls.

However, after reading through a few threads (namely this one), it seems like the headset makers only use Class 2 Bluetooth radios in their products limiting the effective range to a maximum of 10 meters. Although I have no experience with Bluetooth headsets, this does not seem enough to cover the court (estimate 17 m).

Question 1: Does any manufacturer make a Class 1 Bluetooth headset? The 100 meter range would more than sufficiently cover the court. It doesn't even need to be very small; just light enough that it won't fall off while running around.

Question 2: Regardless of range, the two front runners I see are the Cardo Scala-500 (10 M) and the Sony Ericsson HBH-660 (5 M). Would either of these devices work at a distance greater than the stated range? It only needs to ring at that distance. A mini Treo beeper of sorts. He will come back to the Treo if he gets a call. It would be great if anyone can comment about the 660 specifically as it would be a nice feature to have the phone number show up in the case of an incoming call.

Question 3: Is there any other product that may solve this little dilemma?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by plazmo; 03/09/2005 at 01:51 PM.
    Even with the stated 10 meters (30 feet) the reality is that you start experiencing static when you walk more than two meters away from your phone. The peformance is unacceptable, if not impossible, at the stated range.
  3.    #3  
    Thank your for your input, TonyH! I didn't realize that the headset's RF was that weak. I suppose it's a product of the battery size. I was hoping that the headset would at least be able to maintain a link to communicate a ring. A best case scenario would be to mount the Treo at the side of the court next to the net and clip the headset to his hat. Although it would be line-of-sight, what you're saying about the headsets means that it still wouldn't work. Hmm, that's too bad.
    I don't know about headset battery size, but I know my second phone (Moto V3) and an HS-810 headset can be very far apart without a problem. Reallly amazing compared to my Treo and SE-660.
  5.    #5  
    So, is the Treo's Bluetooth radio that is weak compared to other phones?

650now: How much further would you say your Motorola V3 and 810 can maintain a link? And if you use your SE 660 with your V3, does the range decrease?

As one of the new features over the old Treo, I would think palmOne would ensure that the Bluetooth radio performs well enough to merit it as a successor...
    Last edited by plazmo; 03/09/2005 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by plazmo
    So, is the Treo's Bluetooth radio that is weak compared to other phones?

650now: How much further would you say your Motorola V3 and 810 can maintain a link? And if you use your SE 660 with your V3, does the range decrease?

As one of the new features over the old Treo, I would think palmOne would ensure that the Bluetooth radio performs well enough to merit it as a successor...
    Sorry, but I mis-typed. The headset I use w/the V3 is the 820. Paired with the V3, I have tested it through three floors in my house with no static at all. The 650/SE-660 would not get 1/4 that far w/o major static. I have not tried the V3 with the SE-660 or my Tre0 650 with the 820 yet. But I will and will report the results here as soon as I can.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    I have not tried the V3 with the SE-660 or my Tre0 650 with the 820 yet. But I will and will report the results here as soon as I can.
    Great! Thanks. When you receive a call (with the V3/820), does the 820 ring, vibrate, or give any indication of an incoming call without looking at the handset?

NM, I guess it does ring. Can you hear it without wearing it over your ear? Thanks.
    Last edited by plazmo; 03/10/2005 at 02:54 AM.
    The 820 rings, but unless you are wearing it, I doubut you would hear it. Also, just tested the 820 with the 650 and I had to manually transfer outgoing calls to the headset, and it took several rings to allow an incoming call to be picked up by the headset. So, looks like the 660 is still the best bet for the 650. I do like the v3/820 combo BT a lot though.
  9.    #9  
    How was the range between the 650/820 (compared to your V3/820)? And does either headset show a missed incoming call via an LED or other indicator? Thanks again for testing this!