Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #1  
    Greetings.
    I am posting this note from my Treo 650... via bluetooth and my laptop running ICS! The connection is so much faster than GPRS! It's great. Loving the Treo! Next I need try try this at a Starbucks...
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Greetings.
    I am posting this note from my Treo 650... via bluetooth and my laptop running ICS! The connection is so much faster than GPRS! It's great. Loving the Treo! Next I need try try this at a Starbucks...
    Are you able to surf the web using blazer in this configuration? on the t650
  3. #3  
    I can with an unlocked GSM 650, I use Reverse DUN to desktop computer and share the connection...I initially used my laptop and it worked also.

    I have great range in my place, I can be downstairs in the living room and kitchen and as well on my balcony and access the web and email via the Bluetooth no problem...when I leave my place I have the Bluetooth connection set to fallback on my GPRS so it firsts tries bluetooth and if it cant connect it will connect via GRPS...in Canada we do not have unlimited data on my provider so this can save alot of data charges when using the Treo at home.

    My place is basically all concrete and I'm surprised at the coverage I get with bluetooth..I routinely send photos from downstairs to the desktop upstairs to bother my fiance

    I use a cheap Iomega bluetooth adapter I had laying around...
  4. jaltman's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    #4  
    This worked for me too, but Versamail could not resolve my mailserver name. Blazer worked fine. If I put in the mail servers ip address Versamail also worked, but I use both home and office networks and the office is using NAT behind a firewall and the mail server has a different, internal ip address at the office, so I'd have to be changing it all the time. NG. I went back to the serial port and Softick PPP which is slower (by about 50%) but works without constantly changing Versamail's config.
  5. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #5  
    Surfing with Blazer works fine. I too had an smtp problem. My email server resides on a dsl/static ip, but you can't reach that ip from inside the network. I am using T-Mobile's smtp gateway and it works just fine.

    Only thing I haven't made work is VPN, which I don't think will work because I am natting twice. This little bit of success is making me want a Bluetooth access point, they are getting less expensive now and are easy to setup.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    I can with an unlocked GSM 650, I use Reverse DUN to desktop computer and share the connection...I initially used my laptop and it worked also.

    I have great range in my place, I can be downstairs in the living room and kitchen and as well on my balcony and access the web and email via the Bluetooth no problem...when I leave my place I have the Bluetooth connection set to fallback on my GPRS so it firsts tries bluetooth and if it cant connect it will connect via GRPS...in Canada we do not have unlimited data on my provider so this can save alot of data charges when using the Treo at home.

    My place is basically all concrete and I'm surprised at the coverage I get with bluetooth..I routinely send photos from downstairs to the desktop upstairs to bother my fiance

    I use a cheap Iomega bluetooth adapter I had laying around...
    Hi, I too use a unlock gsm t650,how do you configure reverse DUN?
  7. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #7  
    To get thos working on my Windows 2003 server I had to do a little research. I found some hacked Widomm drivers that work with a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle. (The Belkin drivers won't install because they are licensed to run on Server 2003) The new drivers allow you to have a Lan Access profile. Turn that on, and set it for 'allow systems to connect to the internet via this computer'. Then in Properties of your outgoing ethernet connection, turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Now on the Treo, create a connection to your Bluetooth pc. In the network section, ceeate a profile that uses this new connwction to access a LAN. Make the profile your default by leaving it visible and run any internet app to connect.. So far it works well! Though as mentioned, VPN does not work. Blazer (using it now) is fine, and Snappermail, Netime and Verichat all function. Blazer does require your phone to be on.

    I'll post a link to the site that explains the drivers in detail later.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    To get thos working on my Windows 2003 server I had to do a little research. I found some hacked Widomm drivers that work with a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle. (The Belkin drivers won't install because they are licensed to run on Server 2003) The new drivers allow you to have a Lan Access profile. Turn that on, and set it for 'allow systems to connect to the internet via this computer'. Then in Properties of your outgoing ethernet connection, turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Now on the Treo, create a connection to your Bluetooth pc. In the network section, ceeate a profile that uses this new connwction to access a LAN. Make the profile your default by leaving it visible and run any internet app to connect.. So far it works well! Though as mentioned, VPN does not work. Blazer (using it now) is fine, and Snappermail, Netime and Verichat all function. Blazer does require your phone to be on.

    I'll post a link to the site that explains the drivers in detail later.
    I have manage to get everything going and versamail and update worldmate all work fine.Blazer as you said requires the phone to be turned on.I get a connecting via gprs msg and the 2 green opposing arrows on top of the phone network show up indicating gprs connection.
  9. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #9  
    Two green arrows?

    Whoops, somehow you aren't on Bluetooth. When the Bluetooth LAN is up, the Bluetooth Icon turns white on blue, instead of blue on white. And no GPRS arrows are visible. In fact GPRS isn't connected at all. Double check in Prefs/Network and ensure that the displayed service is your Bluetooth connection, not T-Mobile VPN (or Internet or TZones or whatever Cingular/ATT are using)

    Mike




    Quote Originally Posted by treorider
    I have manage to get everything going and versamail and update worldmate all work fine.Blazer as you said requires the phone to be turned on.I get a connecting via gprs msg and the 2 green opposing arrows on top of the phone network show up indicating gprs connection.
  10. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #10  
    This evening, my Anycom Bluetooth Access Point showed up. It's working! I am web browsing using Web Pro, via the Anycom to the internet... And Treo wireless mode? Off! Only thing turned on is Bluetooth! Now if the space issue could get resolved...
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    This evening, my Anycom Bluetooth Access Point showed up. It's working! I am web browsing using Web Pro, via the Anycom to the internet... And Treo wireless mode? Off! Only thing turned on is Bluetooth! Now if the space issue could get resolved...
    how much is the access pt? Funny thing is that I am able to use xiino and webpro(albeit with the space issue) to surf the net but not blazer.
  12. #12  
    Can you guys try a test and download a large file , say > 50KB using Blazer. Does your BT connection drop/get interrupted? I was trying to run some Bandwidth meter and it yielded really slow results because somewhere around 45KB the BT connection would just pause for some reason.

    Thanks,
    Sid Vajirkar
    Unlocked 650
  13. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #13  
    The Anycom AP-2002 is $113 at Buy.com. It is quite small and portable. Small enough to use it as a portable BT Lan! Connect up to ethernet on a Laptop, log into Starbucks and share internet with 8 of your BT enabled Device buddies! Ok, I don't have 8 friends with this technology, but the idea is cool. I will check on the dropping issues but my Treo doesn't seem to do that.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  14. #14  
    So where can I get a little gadget that talks blue to my Treo and WiFi to the rest of the world?
    Try Opera for free and vote to get Opera on your Treo http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OperaPalmOS
  15. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #15  
    do a google search for Bluetooth to Wifi adapter. There is at least one such object on the market. Not sure if it would work with the Treo though, you'd probably have to test it out and see.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  16. #16  
    Is it a requirement to have the unlocked GSM version of the Treo 650 to do reverse DUN? Is it possible to make it work with the CDMA version of the phone as well?
  17. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #17  
    Reverse DUN can work on CDMA Treo 650s...

    Here is some info on that, and the hacked bluetooth drivers...

    http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html explains how to get reverse DUN working on a CDMA Treo 650...

    http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/ Is the guide on how to get Widcomm drivers working for Bluetooth Lan Access. Unfortunately Jon got pinged for providing the drivers and patch tools. So, those you will have to find on Emule or other file sharing systems.

    Hope this helps!


    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    Is it a requirement to have the unlocked GSM version of the Treo 650 to do reverse DUN? Is it possible to make it work with the CDMA version of the phone as well?
  18. #18  
    Thanks, z3bum, for your feedback.

    I had success in following shadowmite's instructions in setting up Dial-Up Networking, but does this have any relevance to reverse DUN?

    I just checked out the bluetooth info on Jon's Guides, and I found that not only the drivers and patch tools but all the key information has been removed "as requested by Broadcom Corp." How unfortunate.

    One more thing - has anyone any success in getting reverse DUN to work with Mac OS X?
  19. #19  
    HOW DID YOU SET THIS UP???

    Rogers is dinging me like crazy!




    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    I can with an unlocked GSM 650, I use Reverse DUN to desktop computer and share the connection...I initially used my laptop and it worked also.

    I have great range in my place, I can be downstairs in the living room and kitchen and as well on my balcony and access the web and email via the Bluetooth no problem...when I leave my place I have the Bluetooth connection set to fallback on my GPRS so it firsts tries bluetooth and if it cant connect it will connect via GRPS...in Canada we do not have unlimited data on my provider so this can save alot of data charges when using the Treo at home.

    My place is basically all concrete and I'm surprised at the coverage I get with bluetooth..I routinely send photos from downstairs to the desktop upstairs to bother my fiance

    I use a cheap Iomega bluetooth adapter I had laying around...
  20. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #20  
    What sort of pc are you using that needs to be setup? The link I posted about Widcomm drivers will setup the LAN Access on a Windows XP pc with SP2. Once you have the LAN Access profile, It is straightforward to get the Treo to use the connection. Do you need step by step details? Maybe we can have a sticky thread with LAN Access details?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions