Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by christine600
    So where can I get a little gadget that talks blue to my Treo and WiFi to the rest of the world?
    Funny, I'd kinda like to find something like that now too. I love using my Tungsten C around the house and at the office, where fast Wi-Fi is available everywhere. The 650 isn't quite as fast, especially with the recent t-mobile (and cingular) gprs problems in Norcal this week.

I just searched all over (buy.com, ebay, google, etc.) but I came up empty-handed with respect to a Wi-Fi to Bluetooth access point. Ideally what we want is a little plug-in widget, something like an Airport Express with a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the USB. Hey, that's exactly what we need! Now it's just a matter of software, right? ;-)

It seems that Belkin and Anycom sell Ethernet-based Bluetooth access points, and D-Link has the DBT-900AP (but it doesn't appear to be available anywhere inside the U.S.). But all of these need Ethernet. That's ok for people who have strung CAT-5 all over the place, but why can't someone build one of these with a Wi-Fi client instead of an Ethernet port? I wonder if it's a radio interference issue with putting both radios in the same box.

Anyway, can anyone comment on the performance differences between using GPRS/EDGE and using Bluetooth LAN access on a Treo 650? How about the usability (that is, having to re-configure to switch back and forth)?
    i give up.. i tried it and it seemed connected as the bt icon was white w/blue inside, but it couldn't connect to a webpage
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I am logged in to my Anycom Ap2002 Bluetooth access point right now with the Treo. The access point is connected to a cable modem, and it's MUCH faster than GPRS. Posting and reading Treo central stuff is faster and the Treo downloads emails in a snap!

Usuability isn't bad. I just switch the default connection from GPRS to bluetooth. It's even possibile to set the fallback in the bluetooth connection to be GPRS and just leave it that way all the time. For me, I like switching the connection manually. My connection is much faster since I started using cable modem as well.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I am logged in to my Anycom Ap2002 Bluetooth access point right now with the Treo. The access point is connected to a cable modem, and it's MUCH faster than GPRS. Posting and reading Treo central stuff is faster and the Treo downloads emails in a snap!
    I had about the same result as stylez23. With the Anycom access point I can connect but it is flaky. It doesn't always connect and sometimes reboots the treo. When I do connect I can sometimes hotsink but usually cannot view webpages.

Do you need the reverse DUN to get it working? I tried everything I could think of but do not have reverse DUN set up.

Detailed settings would be very helpful.
    my only faultless setup I had was running bluetooth to th pc using the virtual serial port...having softick ppp recognize the serial port..that made it easy and seamless....fallback from bluetooth to tmo..blazer and everything works.......fast
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    This depends alot on your Treo. First, Blazer won't work unless the phone is turned on... (which, Palm One developers are you listening? Is really, really stupid!!) If the phone is on, and you don't have a proxy setup in Blazer, once you have an IP address from the Anycom you should be able to web browse. I do not need reverse DUN for this.

How is your Anycom BT AP setup? Does it get IP addresses from another device via DHCP? Which profile are you using? Only one of them seems to work with the Treo.

FYI, I did setup a PC with the Widcomm drivers, and have used Bluetooth and internet connection sharing. This works pretty well if you have a desktop and Treo and no other pcs or devices that need access to the Internet via bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by DDuckMan
    I had about the same result as stylez23. With the Anycom access point I can connect but it is flaky. It doesn't always connect and sometimes reboots the treo. When I do connect I can sometimes hotsink but usually cannot view webpages.

Do you need the reverse DUN to get it working? I tried everything I could think of but do not have reverse DUN set up.

Detailed settings would be very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    This depends alot on your Treo. First, Blazer won't work unless the phone is turned on... (which, Palm One developers are you listening? Is really, really stupid!!) If the phone is on, and you don't have a proxy setup in Blazer, once you have an IP address from the Anycom you should be able to web browse. I do not need reverse DUN for this.

How is your Anycom BT AP setup? Does it get IP addresses from another device via DHCP? Which profile are you using? Only one of them seems to work with the Treo.
    Phone is on. No proxy in Blazer. I can connect and list the Anycom as a trusted device, but no web browsing for me. PPP and NAP are enabled with the second radio button checked. I use DHCP.

I tried enabling and disabling the security settings and no difference. I tried turning off NAP and PPP but just lost the ability to connect to the AP. I bet if yours is working fine it is just a single wrong setting but I cannot figure it out.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12