1.    #1  
    Hi All,

palmOne is sending me a replacement Treo (hopefully, with the new firmware and software versions) and I was wondering:

1. How do I transition to the new device?
    2. How do I transfer the data from my current Treo to the new one - e.g., SplashID data, Contacts, and Memos.
    3. Should I completely uninstall all of the palm software on my laptop - i.e., palm desktop, HotSync'ed files, etc.?

Thanks, in advance.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Just use Palm Desktop, or whatever other Syncing software you use to backup your old Treo, and restore it to the new one.
    what happened to your old Treo ? How did you go about getting a replacement ? Mine gives me a couple of problems and I am thinking I should get a new one if I could.
    The resore from sync works amazingly well!

I did have to reinstall palm desktop (my computer would not sync with my new phone, I thought it was the phone but somehow palmdesktop got messed up.) I carefully copied my folder with my phones synced data on it and then removed palm desktop, then reinstalled it. To my surprise removing palmdesktop did not deleate the origonal phone sync file so when I reinstalled the software and connected the phone after a fairly long sync process the new phone was EXACTLY as I left the old one. Even datebook5 installed properly registered, the call logs were there, pictures. It may have lost my bluetooth pairing, but I don't remember if I checked this, I just did the installation of the headset.

I would advise copying the sync file before reinstalling palmdesktop if you do this. I am not sure if the folder will allways survive this step.
    Here's a question, slightly off topic, but still related to replacements. If you have a Cingular branded phone for which Cingular has provided you with the unlock code, if you must replace the phone for some reason, anyone think it will be easier the second time round trying to get the unlock code?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650
    what happened to your old Treo ? How did you go about getting a replacement ? Mine gives me a couple of problems and I am thinking I should get a new one if I could.
    First off, I'm assuming you're talking about an unlocked GSM. If so, you have to call p1 Tech Support and tell them the issues you're having. At this point, they will create a case # for your call (and, just tell you to do a soft reset and if that doesn't work, to do a hard reset - very helpful...not). Once you have the case #, you need to call back p1 and choose to speak with a Treo Sales person. Then, just tell him/her you want a replacement. They will then ask you for your original order number and the tech support case #. That's it!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk
    Just use Palm Desktop, or whatever other Syncing software you use to backup your old Treo, and restore it to the new one.
    It's that easy, huh? Cool. Thanks.

I'm a bit concerned that the 3rd party apps I installed may be causing my issues...so, if I do the restore, it'll install all of those 3rd party apps to my new Treo, right? Basically, I just want to restore my Contacts, Memos, and SplashID data.

The thing is, I was very careful in installing 3rd party apps. I've installed:

SplashID
    Uninstall Manager
    CleanUp
    Chatter Email
    Docs to Go
    Adobe Reader
    Handmark Express
    Solitaire
    Bob's Alarm