Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I have spent hours on the phone with Cingular trying to get my plan straight with them. It really does matter who you get on the phone, so if you don't get satisfaction, don't waste time arguing. Just hang up and call back to talk to someone new. They're like the Keystone Kops, running around bumping into each other in chaos.

The latest fiasco was a mailing I got today. It was from Asurion and Cingular congratulating me on signing up for a 24 hour roadside assistance program. As a new customer, I'll receive Cingular Roadside Assistance FREE for the first 60 days. After that I'll pay only $2.99 a month!

Problem is, I never signed up for it. I called Cingular and Kristin told me it was indeed on my plan and she was very sorry and she did not know how it got there. It was "promotional".

I'll tell you how it got on there. Some hyperthyroidal marketing jerk thinks he can mass mail these notifications and a percentage of people will not pay attention and will pay the $2.99 each month on their bill without catching it.

Check you mail if you get a notification, call and raise hell. This is a scam. I will be contacting my state attorney general. He loves to go after these kinds of scams.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I spoke with a friend of mine in Dallas this morning and mentioned the unauthorized Roadside Assistance addition to my Cingular plan to give him a heads up to watch his mail box. He said he had already gotten it last week and called to have them take it off.

I'm not wanting to sound alarmist, but I don't think these were accidents. If you have had a similar experience please let everyone know. We should have to stand for this kind of crap.

It was either bad judgement or a scam.
    I had a similar experience with a credit card 'protection' company called protection plus. They sent me something in the mail saying that I had signed up for something back in 1999 and they billed on 3 year cycles. I called Citibank and while they had a relationship with ProtectionPlus, they showed no evidence that I had signed up for it.

I think this is a new breed of 'opt-out' scam from these bottom feeders.