Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    1) MacTheRipper (freeware) to convert DVD to Video TS files
    2) DVision3 (freeware) to convert Video TS files to AVI
    3) Kinoma Producer to convert AVI to mp4 to be played on the Treo.
    1) I can use MactheRipper fine.
    2) What settings do you put in DVision3? Do you make the video files 320xwhatever?
    3. So you only bought KProducer? What do you watch the files with?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    1) I can use MactheRipper fine.
    2) What settings do you put in DVision3? Do you make the video files 320xwhatever?
    3. So you only bought KProducer? What do you watch the files with?
    I don't change the settings in DVision3. Kinoma Producer will take the final file produced by DVision3 and convert it to fit on the treo to be played with the Kinoma Player.
  3.    #23  
    fit on the treo to be played with the Kinoma Player.
    Is that the free KPlayer 2 or did you pay for KPlayer 3? If so, then I'm going to be out $50
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Ok, I finally downloaded the trial of Kinoma and it's Producer and i must say that the $50 tag will be fine with me. I tried polaying with MMPlayer and VirtualDub and NO WAY! I don't have three vacation days to burn just to learn virtualDumb.

With Kinoma, I drag the shows I've recorded with BeyondTV into the converter and load the resulting files on my card and BAM! Sh** plays and plays WELL.

It's steep, but it's the best solution out there IMHO.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    With Kinoma, I drag the shows I've recorded with BeyondTV into the converter and load the resulting files on my card and BAM! Sh** plays and plays WELL.
    What's BeyondTV?? And does it run on a Mac?

I'm on the brink of getting the Kinoma suite. Another two failed attempts at video files
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    BeyondTV is a computer PVR. With a tv in card one records tv to their hard-drive. That particular product is not for mac but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent.
  7.    #27  
    BeyondTV is a computer PVR. With a tv in card one records tv to their hard-drive. That particular product is not for mac but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent.
    I'm going to have to look into it. I do have a PC, I just use it solely for gaming. Is the BeyondTV software tough to use, time, maintain?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    I'm going to have to look into it. I do have a PC, I just use it solely for gaming. Is the BeyondTV software tough to use, time, maintain?
    set it and forget it.

i set up a pc a couple of week ago. been running fine since. hardest part is picking the right cable/antenna service.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #29  
    how big of a hard drive do you recommend? How large is a 1 hour show?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    try eyeTV for the Mac. See http://www.elgato.com/
  11.    #31  
    try eyeTV for the Mac. See http://www.elgato.com/
    I looked at the manuals. I have DirecTV, so I would have to manually change the channel each time it had to record a different channel Is there some other way around this?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    I looked at the manuals. I have DirecTV, so I would have to manually change the channel each time it had to record a different channel Is there some other way around this?
    I'm not aware of any product for the computer that will tune DirectTV for you and record it. Direct TV Tivo will record to the Tivo hard drive and some people have hacked their Direct TV Tivos (very different than the regular Tivo hacking procedures) to network with their computers so they can download the recorded programs. A google search will reveal their procedures.
    Last edited by Katway; 03/17/2005 at 07:14 AM.
    how big of a hard drive do you recommend? How large is a 1 hour show?
    as large as you can afford?

i dont archive anything, i just convert them using kinoma to view on the treo. so an hour shouw is about 1,000,000 kb. you can record at a higher resolution if you want.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I tried Kinoma on my Treo 600 - I'm glad I didn't purchase it, as it wasn't even worth the memory usage of the player. Every video I tried to encode would freeze for 2-3 seconds, then play for a second, then freeze for 2-3 more. Encoding a video that would even play at all was a massive pain.

I'm a proud owner of a fully registered copy of MMPlayer now and I love it. It's much less picky about input formats than Kinoma, and hence MUCH easier to encode for.

I'm a Linux user, so Kinoma Producer is out of the question for me. Anyway, no way am I going to pay $30 for software that does less than the open-source utilities I'm already using.

MMPlayer + avidemux = match made in heaven for Linux users. MMPlayer does more and costs less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    I tried Kinoma on my Treo 600 - I'm glad I didn't purchase it, as it wasn't even worth the memory usage of the player. Every video I tried to encode would freeze for 2-3 seconds, then play for a second, then freeze for 2-3 more. Encoding a video that would even play at all was a massive pain.

I'm a proud owner of a fully registered copy of MMPlayer now and I love it. It's much less picky about input formats than Kinoma, and hence MUCH easier to encode for.

I'm a Linux user, so Kinoma Producer is out of the question for me. Anyway, no way am I going to pay $30 for software that does less than the open-source utilities I'm already using.

MMPlayer + avidemux = match made in heaven for Linux users. MMPlayer does more and costs less.
    Interesting. I've gotten great results using the Kinoma player but have had many problems with MMPlayer. I think there a difference between MMPlayer functionality on the 600 and 650. The MMPlayer FAQs do not indicate full functionality with the 650, perhaps that would explain the problems I had using it on a trial basis. See http://mmplayer.com/faq.php
    This is a little bit off topic, but I've been looking at getting BeyondTV to use in conjuntion with Kinona as well. I have one question though. How do you end up watching the recordings on an actual television? I looked throught their manual and there is nothing that describes viewing on your tv.

Ok, I finally downloaded the trial of Kinoma and it's Producer and i must say that the $50 tag will be fine with me. I tried polaying with MMPlayer and VirtualDub and NO WAY! I don't have three vacation days to burn just to learn virtualDumb.

It's steep, but it's the best solution out there IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    This is a little bit off topic, but I've been looking at getting BeyondTV to use in conjuntion with Kinona as well. I have one question though. How do you end up watching the recordings on an actual television? I looked throught their manual and there is nothing that describes viewing on your tv.
    u will need to hook up your pc to your tv, like any other component.

or

burn the file to cd\dvd and watch it with your dvd player.
    Felipe
    You would want a device which gathers your network for viewing on your tv, like prismiq. Currently, there are a lot of products emerging with their own drives AND network capability.

I'm kinda waiting for the smoke to clear on this one for a Tivo killer.
    Interesting. I've gotten great results using the Kinoma player but have had many problems with MMPlayer. I think there a difference between MMPlayer functionality on the 600 and 650. The MMPlayer FAQs do not indicate full functionality with the 650, perhaps that would explain the problems I had using it on a trial basis. See http://mmplayer.com/faq.php
    I use MMPlayer just fine on my 650 - I have full functionality. I typically copy shows from BeyondTV, convert them using VirtualDub (not very hard once you get the hang of it) and it works like a charm.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    I use MMPlayer just fine on my 650 - I have full functionality. I typically copy shows from BeyondTV, convert them using VirtualDub (not very hard once you get the hang of it) and it works like a charm.
    Does anyone know if EyeTV is as good as BeyondTV? Does anyone have it?
    Last edited by MacUser; 04/05/2005 at 06:44 PM.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast