1.    #1  
    So- bug number 9,000,000:

My Treo decided to erase a load of pictures I took. Normally I could care less about the ugly little 640xgrain pictures, but these were important. I had just taken pictures of my new house and I needed quick proof of the state of it as I moved in. All of a sudden- all my pics were gone. It looked like a corruption issues, as it was if the categories were deleted, and a few random pictures remained.

After a little searching I found a great SD card recovery program. It ran for about a half an hour and pulled out all the deleted files from the card. I had to sift through a bunch of files that were mislabled with wrong extensions, but in the end I recovered all the pictures.

There is a good and a bad part of this story. The good- you can get deleted files off a card (even formatted). The BAD- anything you erase is STILL in there. Not sure how to wipe a card for security- I supposed you would have to fill the entire card up again with garbage to truly wipe it of personal data.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    So- bug number 9,000,000:
    There is a good and a bad part of this story. The good- you can get deleted files off a card (even formatted). The BAD- anything you erase is STILL in there. Not sure how to wipe a card for security- I supposed you would have to fill the entire card up again with garbage to truly wipe it of personal data.
    If you reformat the card it should wipe it clean. No?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  3.    #3  
    No, it just deletes pointers to the files. EVERY file is still there and recoverable. You would have to write 0's or 1's to every bit of the card to actually erase it. That, or uploada giant avi file or something and then erase it.
    What was the name of the little app that you used?
    if you have a "low level format" utility- it will actually write the zeros to the sectors and erase it...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I use HandyRecovery 2.0 to recover lost and/or deleted files. Even when the hard drive is complete formated. That is why never give away used hard drives. It is better to use a hammer....
    How is MediaUndete different from FileRecovery
    [at http://www.filerecoverytools.com/mediaundelete/]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    No, it just deletes pointers to the files. EVERY file is still there and recoverable. You would have to write 0's or 1's to every bit of the card to actually erase it. That, or uploada giant avi file or something and then erase it.

You know what's scary? The NVFS of the 650 is the same way!!! That is a hard reset does not erase all your data. That is why PalmOne created the Zero-Out reset for the 650/T5. But this is not always feasible in all circumstances...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions