Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually no, they cost about $35 to make, and then the time to take them apart, solder, drive to the post office, and ship really takes the other $15. I make next to nothing on them.

This isn't the only such event. Constantly I get about 15 emails a day like this about some problem or another and everyone is convinced their problem is the end of the world. It's made it so that I "hate" being the "treo hacker". Can't I just go back to being me?

I'm having my email address shut off, that out to let me mellow out for awhile.

---

Not to mention I don't have any more, I'm done making them because of the time it cost me. His was the last one sold!

I'm sorry if I'm whining, I just needed to let out a little steam. I'm done now...
    Go back to being you! Do what makes YOU happy. You are under no obligation to be the "Treo Hacker". Obviously the attention you were getting was just causing too much stress. Take some time off, then come back and be you.

Take Care!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo44
    If you are going to leave... then just leave. You look like a complete attention ***** prima donna with this temper tantrum.

- E44
    hello? Many people were asking on this board for an explanation from him. He gives one and you call him a *****. Its exactly what he was talking about. He doesn't want the attention he was getting. Just let him be.

And Enzo, speaking of attention whores, nice of you to jump in and sprinkle attention getting words all over your post...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    For what it's worth, I can sympathize with the poor guy. I used to do tech work till what I've come to know as 'blood suckin' leeches' finally made me give it up. Wasn't worth the money you can make at it, no matter HOW technically savvy you are.

So go enjoy life, Shadow. Job well done on everything you've done in the past.
    Scott
    First, thank you Shadowmite for your work. I for one have benefited, and I have donated a small amount (never requested by you, and actually the opposite) as result of recognition that value.

Second, I think the people here are calling names have no position to do such and should SHUT THE F* UP - they likely were not around in November/December when you were busting your **** 'til wee hours of the morning figuring things out; those were "fun" times. I used to relish getting up in the morning and checking TC first thing to see what you guys discovered the night before!

Thirdly, I think if you are offering a product which someone has paid for, I feel it is your responsibility to make sure they receive it. It's no different than an eBay auction, where I would expect the seller to protect themselves such that if it did not arrive or arrived damaged - they would pursue compensation with the shipper, but refund me in the meantime. I think the rights belong to the buyer in this case. They are buying a product which until they obtain it or unless different terms are agreed, the responsibility to deliver remains with you.

I realize your intentions were pure in the cable service you offered, but either you do it for "friends" for some fee, or you are a business. In this case, posting it on the website would classify this as a business in my mind, and you should be responsible/accountable for the issue from beginning to end; which means you should protect yourself against such an occurance (I realize hindsight is 20-20).

Lastly, I respect/commend your decision to go, because the internet crowd can be described by so many negative terms I would fall short here. Suffice it to say, I was embarassed by posts on your site "commending" you for leaving, but in the same post asking you to "do one last act" - purely to satisfy their momentary needs.

Thanks once again for your work in the past - if you decide to "stick around", change your name and go back to loving&hating the Treo.
    Shadowmite, I hope you don't leave over this. There are tons of us on this forum who appreciate your work and know you've done as much, if not moreso, than any other person on this board to make the 650 usable. You've even had a couple of polls dedicated to your work and whether or not you'd keep your 650 without the patches you've provided. I think that's a testament to the hard work you've done for free.

I certainly hope you don't leave over crap like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
    *yawn*
    If you don't like the topic or post, then don't post an idiotic reply. Go troll elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    One guy whines about a cable and now we lose the only hope for tech support. Sigh...
    Maybe this attitude is part of the problem.
    He wasn't our tech support,
    or the guy to hack this or that for us.
    He was a guy who thought he could do something (a couple things actually) cool on the treo 650 and gave it a shot.
    What he got for his efforts is everyone thinking he should do everything they want.
    I'm sure he's had a huge headache for awhile now dealing with people sending him emails and making new posts.
    Shadowmite, I appreciate your past efforts, and completely understand your desire to back away for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Thirdly, I think if you are offering a product which someone has paid for, I feel it is your responsibility to make sure they receive it. It's no different than an eBay auction, where I would expect the seller to protect themselves such that if it did not arrive or arrived damaged - they would pursue compensation with the shipper, but refund me in the meantime. I think the rights belong to the buyer in this case. They are buying a product which until they obtain it or unless different terms are agreed, the responsibility to deliver remains with you.
    Actually, I think on ebay it's exactly opposite.
    It's up to the buyer to buy the shipping insurance in almost every case. If they don't then whatever happens to the package after it leaves the shippers hands is on them.
    Shadowmite, as one of the, uhhhh, less than enthusiastic TREO 650 fans around here, I still have to complement you on what you have done for the community. That poll I posted said your modification of the ROMS significantly improved the experience of a large number of TREO owners.

Can't do much about the a$$holes you encounter that don't have a clue 'bout how much effort you are putting into this, but I do understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.

Would you maybe consider a parting shot to PalmOne about the TREO 650? There have been postings here to the effect that they do know about you and follow your work (guarantee THEY appreciate you keeping them in business!!). I think a clear, honest, and complete assessment from you might go a lot farther with them than a bunch of us yahoos whining, I mean complaining here on TreoCentral.com. Think about it, will ya?

Thanks for all you did for everybody.
    Does anyone doubt that Shadow sent the cable? (Remember, he's not only the guy who solved the wi-fi puzzle, he also asked us to LIMIT our donations to him.) I think we agree he sent it and it never arrived.

And if you can't read people well enough on your own, I'll tell you that Shadowmite will probably end up eating this loss himself, rather than let a customer down. There's no doubt about it, just as there's no doubt that someone this good isn't going to leave and stop his work.

So why did he fume here if all this is so obvious? Because, as his original message implied, THERE'S SOMETHING PERSONAL going on. We've all been there. Then, on top of that, this cable issue comes along. He's venting.

Instead of helping him work it out we're ragging on the guy. Let's give it a break. What can we do to help?
    There is a saying that I think applies here, and that is "No good deed goes unpunished." I haven't installed Shadowmite's patches, nor have I ordered his cable, but it seems to me that he is a very talented individual that had more than a passing interest in making the 650 the product that many hoped it would be. Like many of you here on this forum, he has helped an untold number of others to get the most out of their 650s, and is now being criticized for his reaction to the accusations and barbs of a few. I know that I have neither the talent, energy nor time to do what Shadowmite did for many here, and I, for one, am grateful for people like him.
    It's how I feel. All this drama is pathetic....

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Shadowmite, I hope you don't leave over this. There are tons of us on this forum who appreciate your work and know you've done as much, if not moreso, than any other person on this board to make the 650 usable. You've even had a couple of polls dedicated to your work and whether or not you'd keep your 650 without the patches you've provided. I think that's a testament to the hard work you've done for free.

I certainly hope you don't leave over crap like this:

If you don't like the topic or post, then don't post an idiotic reply. Go troll elsewhere.
    Exactly, who asks people to limit donations if they are not doing things and helping because they enjoy it. You people who flamed him should shut the fu@k up!! The Tom Cruise, Leo reference was real mature, he wasn't comparing himself to them. God knows his work has actually helped me out ALOT more than theirs has. I am sure the person who posted that benefited from shadowmites work too!! People just start taking advantage of people's generosity.

Don't flame him for venting, you all do it!! It's a fu@k'ing message board!! He was a savior when he came up with the DUN hack, and all his custom ROM's, appreciate it!!! All you people that were rude should be ashamed of yourselves, when he "left" you all cried, now you are just being di@k's to the dude. He doesen't have to do what he does, and if he wants to vent about it so be it, don't be so lame, and rude.

I bet you all used him for his GREAT work. He has done more for the treo community on his own as the "treo hacker" that you should understand if he vents, people start talking to him like he's a scammer, and they are taking advantage. He doesen't have to even post all his tools if he didn't want to, it was helping out the community. This message board is a little community, to post comments, not reply being assh@les. He is not making money on these cables, he was HELPING us. Just as he did with all his other great work, who asks people to limit donations if they are trying to make money??? You people are SO LAME. GROW UP
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
    It's how I feel. All this drama is pathetic....
    No one asked.

But truthfully, saying "All this drama is pathetic" was more constructive than *yawn*.

But you'll be the type, along with the other "13 post, became a member in Feb 2005 trolls" who posted condescending comments in this thread, who will go looking for Shadowmite's website when you want to enable DUN, get a BT headset, or want to remove Versamail from ROM.
    My advice is, you gotta make a profit. That way, at least it is worth some trouble to deal with people. Charge $75 for the cable. . .
    It's all summed up in the above post with "No good deed goes unpunished". You people are so lame, the dude "HELPED" us all out, and you "used" him. Now you are being typical trolls, and sounding so pathetic, the funny thing is you don't even realize how PATHETIC you are. At least he has done alot for the community, you have done squat and still complain.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The real question here is your or the receipient's state laws on shipping and receiving. Different states have different feelings on when ownership changes on a product. Some say its when it leaves the shipper and others say it's when the receiver accepts the item.

I guess this is a hard lesson learned. Always ship with insurance and a means to track the item. In the online world each person have to protect themself.

Joe
    Can't we all just get along?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12