1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Went to a Cingular store today to see (and drool over) the 650 (I'm trying to convince myself to buy one). In talking to the salesman, who seemed knowledgeable, I mentioned the whole locked-vs-unlocked thing and asked some questions about unlocking the Cingular phone. He mentioned that Cingular "doesn't unlock phones anymore" (I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote) -- and then the conversation got more interesting. He said something to the extent that because of the way the Patriot Act is worded, unlocking these phones (maybe Cingular's unlocking of the phone is what he said) becomes a federal crime, punishable by a $20,000 fine, and up to 3 months in jail. He then went on to say that T-mobile could do it because they're owned (operated?) by an over-seas company.

Anyone else ever hear anything like this?! Does this have merit? Is this nonsense? Does it make any sense?

I'm interested in your reactions to this. And sorry for the sketchy details -- perhaps you all are more informed on this topic and can shed more light on it. Me, I only just learned of locked/unlocked devices a week ago by reading this site for the first time, so..

Thanks!

-K
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It's crap™.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    It's crap™.
    What is? That there's any connection between unlocking the phone and the Patriot Act, or that Cingular supposedly won't unlock the phone because of the connection? Or...?

-K
    I think they feel that telling you a B-S story that blames it on the government keeps you happy with Cingular.

Bottom line, it is because of their inherent anti-competitive nature that they don't want you to have an unlocked Treo. So they will tell you a lie that involves mentions of government in hopes that you'll believe it. Fact is the government wants them to keep their market more OPEN not CLOSED.

I wonder if the company the FCC busted for trying to be a little "closed" with VoIP tried to tell customers it was some law's fault?

If Cingular as a company is passing around that B-S I'm sure the FCC would love to hear your story.

No Cingular can't be "forced" to unlock a phone BUT to try and blame any existing law is the biggest WHOPPER I've heard all day!
    And think for a second. If T-mobile can unlock a phone and/or sell unlocked phones in the USA then any other company can do it. No matter where a company is based, when it comes to their actions in the USA with US based customers they must conform to the same rules and laws a US based company must follow.

Given the lie you were told you should go back to that Cingular employee and tell him you are the cousin of US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and he said its OK to unlock your Treo . (just kidding)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    No Cingular can't be "forced" to unlock a phone BUT to try and blame any existing law is the biggest WHOPPER I've heard all day!
    Well, I'm glad to have made SOMEONE's day today! LOL

Thanks for the feedback. And I didn't get the impression that this guy was being particularly protective of Cingular's operations or trying to scare me per se. He just passed me the info as almost annecdotal. I thought it was interesting. I assumed it wasn't exactly true, based on what I've read here, but thought it would make interesting fodder here anyway.

Thanks!

-K
    so let me get this straight.
    If I don't own a Treo 650 I'm unamerican and breaking the law?
    I think they are going a little to far.

optkoptu
    Last edited by fj60; 03/08/2005 at 02:28 PM.
    lol, there's some bs for ya
    1 | 2
    The more I think of this one the funnier it is to me .

I mean think of all the unlocked T600s and T650s being sold on Ebay? They even sell the unlocking code on Ebay! The feds must be getting ready to see to it that all those auctions are pulled ASAP .
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Ha ha ha ha ha!

Wow, that guy was full of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    Well, I'm glad to have made SOMEONE's day today! LOL

Thanks for the feedback. And I didn't get the impression that this guy was being particularly protective of Cingular's operations or trying to scare me per se. He just passed me the info as almost annecdotal. I thought it was interesting. I assumed it wasn't exactly true, based on what I've read here, but thought it would make interesting fodder here anyway.

Thanks!

-K
    Actually, misrepresenting the Patriot Act is against the law. Report him.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Ha! *You* just misrepresented the Patriot Act.
    Therefore you have been reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Ha! *You* just misrepresented the Patriot Act.
    Therefore you have been reported.
    That doesn't work unless Otter was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    Hey all,

Went to a Cingular store today to see (and drool over) the 650 (I'm trying to convince myself to buy one). In talking to the salesman, who seemed knowledgeable, I mentioned the whole locked-vs-unlocked thing and asked some questions about unlocking the Cingular phone. He mentioned that Cingular "doesn't unlock phones anymore" (I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote) -- and then the conversation got more interesting. He said something to the extent that because of the way the Patriot Act is worded, unlocking these phones (maybe Cingular's unlocking of the phone is what he said) becomes a federal crime, punishable by a $20,000 fine, and up to 3 months in jail. He then went on to say that T-mobile could do it because they're owned (operated?) by an over-seas company.

Anyone else ever hear anything like this?! Does this have merit? Is this nonsense? Does it make any sense?

I'm interested in your reactions to this. And sorry for the sketchy details -- perhaps you all are more informed on this topic and can shed more light on it. Me, I only just learned of locked/unlocked devices a week ago by reading this site for the first time, so..

Thanks!

-K

LOL!
    thanks for the joke
    this is so far the funniest thread of the day!
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    It is not a joke at all.

**** Cheney
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    This is just one more example of Cingular people spewing BS. There are many documented cases in this forum of "I kept calling back until I got someone who would give me the straight story". This is the only way to deal with them. Either they have no training or no documented policies or no enforced policies. The quality of their customer services has been documented to be only so-so. The merger with AT&T seems to have caused it to go down even further. The quality of AT&T customer service has been dead last for the past couple of years.
    The first rule of the Patriot Act is that you don't mention the Patriot Act.
    notepaper -> palm pilot pro -> handspring visor platinum -> kyocera 6035 -> treo 650
    Well, I am glad my rep violated the act and gave me the unlock codes for two phones two days after I bought them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Well, I am glad my rep violated the act and gave me the unlock codes for two phones two days after I bought them.
    Anything for the customer
    1 | 2