1.    #1  
    If I look at my Palm Desktop data folder (the one with a name based on my HotSync name) I see a subfolder called Backup which appears to contain files for all the apps and databases on the device as they appeared at the last sync.

If this is the case, why would I need a program like BackupBuddy?

If I want multiple checkpoints, I can just copy the folder to another directory and put a date in it's name.

As far as I can tell, the only thing missing from the Backup folder is the data on the SD card, but I can back that up manually since I'm using CardExport anyway.

So, if all I care about is keeping a recent backup of my data for disaster recovery purposes, what does BackupBuddy (or others of it's ilk) do that the HotSync backup built into Palm Desktop doesn't (besides handling the SD card)?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    When you need to do a hard reset on the road and can't hotsync, backupman, etc. is invaluable.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    My friend walked into a Sprint store to have her phone checked out thinking her Treo 600 may have to be replaced. I advised her to use BackupMan just before handing it in and take out the SD card before they started testing.

They gave her a new one. She popped in the SD card right there and did a "Device Restore" and everything was on the new Treo 600 before she left the store.
    Powerfull thing. The best $10 you'll ever spend.

LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I do agree that BackupBuddy for Windows is not necessary with Palm's existing backup doing the majority of what you're wanting to do (except checkpoint backups), but there is no substitute for an app that will backup your data to a SD card, so you always have the backup with you should you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    My friend walked into a Sprint store to have her phone checked out thinking her Treo 600 may have to be replaced. I advised her to use BackupMan just before handing it in and take out the SD card before they started testing.

They gave her a new one. She popped in the SD card right there and did a "Device Restore" and everything was on the new Treo 600 before she left the store.
    Powerfull thing. The best $10 you'll ever spend.

LOL
    I had a similar experience. They actually started looking at me funny while I was aimlessly wandering around the store waiting for the backup to complete. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I had a similar experience. They actually started looking at me funny while I was aimlessly wandering around the store waiting for the backup to complete. :-)
    If only there was an app that allowed me to touch one button and backup and/or totally restore my laptop. Backingup personal desktops/laptops is a pain.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  7.    #7  
    Okay... my Treo isn't so "mission critical" that I wouldn't be able to wait to go back home and restore from the PC, so the builtin backup is good enough for me.

I just wanted to make sure that from a data standpoint, the standard backup is just as comprehensive as the 3rd party ones.

Thanks for the info!
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.