1.    #1  
    Bottom line... PalmOne needs to allot 10 times the resources to software R&D than it currently does... needs to make Contacts, Call Log, Calendar & Phone a completely relational database.

Being in the dark ages "software wise" can only hurt their future.

Question: When your hardware is beautiful and your software is laughable... what does that say?
    I wouldnt say the software is laughable - most of the 3rd party apps cause the problems. as long as palmone does not create some approval standards for software developments these problems will continue. open source in this case means open battlefield.

I for myself probably got a lemon the first time, I face problems since day one without 3rd party apps. lets see if the firmware upgrade brings some overdue stability. I mean, this phone is not a cheapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    Bottom line... PalmOne needs to allot 10 times the resources to software R&D than it currently does... needs to make Contacts, Call Log, Calendar & Phone a completely relational database.

Question: When your hardware is beautiful and your software is laughable... what does that say?
    another quality post. sigh....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    We get it -- ya dont like the F'n thing. Return it.

The last thing we need in a device with a small memory footprint and relatively slow speed processor is a relational database. RDBs have lots of benefits, but small size and fast performance isn't one of them. RDB's are designed to be flexible, so that a database can be designed and implemented to store almost anything. A database for a Palm needs to be optimized for it's specific purpose, so that it can be small and fast.

Am I saying that the current Palm databases are ideal? Not hardly. But adding size and complexity aren't the answer. (And, yes, I'm a certified Oracle developer and DBA, although I mostly manage software projects these days).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Software? Check your P key.
  7.    #7  
    Look at these responses... Wow! Absolutely hateful!

Can we lose the emotion now?

Does it not bother anyone else that the palm platform has not evolved significantly in 9 years? forget the foofoo, I mean REALLY evolve... become truly relational, you know... like every other OS on the planet.

I've been with Palm since the beginning, like many of you... that is those of you who are old enough to remember '96... and I don't mean from the 5th grade... doubtful, based on remarks I see here.

Too bad TreoCentral (forums in general) doesn't have an age filter... physically impossible, of course.

And why is it so many of you are governed by your emotions?... kind of ironic considering most of you are technically oriented, isn't it?

Where is your logic?

Time to start thinking outside the box maybe, eh?

I can honestly say, since I started to post 3 weeks ago, that I have encountered, oh, maybe 5 or 6 objective, big thinkers... they know who they are, I've already complimented them publicly or sent them thank you emails.

Nearly everyone else appears to be very angry, emotionally charged, unaccepting of most anything that isn't RAH RAH RAH for PalmOne.

How sad, considering most of you, outside this forum, might be pretty cool people... maybe not, don't know, don't care really.

Is it wrong to ask for more of Palm?

Is it wrong to ask why?

Is it really?

Kindest Regards,
    TundyCentral... "tundy" is my dog's name, the name is not mean't to be insulting. (I thought that might be relevant, not that I seek approval, I should be clear, I don't live to make others happy, I don't really give a damn what a hateful person thinks)

g'day.
    1st snowflake.
    Look at these responses... Wow! Absolutely hateful!

Can we lose the emotion now?

Does it not bother anyone else that the palm platform has not evolved significantly in 9 years? forget the foofoo, I mean REALLY evolve... become
    blah, blah, blah
    g'day.
    1st snowflake.
    Please, PLEASE go away. Go finish your website and your promised toilet papering of all things P1. We'll read about you and your wonderful dog in the news.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

9.    #9  
    Well put meyerweb, I was not referring to you in that last post, obviously... I started composing before you posted.

I'm not talking about anything gargantuan, just simple stuff, references back and forth between contacts, phone, call log etc.

The current processor in the 650 is supposed to be light years faster than that of the 600, yet we see no real world significant speed increases in searches, app changes and so forth...

Is that because of the new memory involved?

I love 3rd party apps that are effective, unfortunately, with the 650, we have the intolerance of other apps in their old form.

Thanks for the input.

TC
    Go Fish!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

11.    #11  
    Otter Emperor,

I'd like to say I'm sorry you're having a bad day... but it seems I'd be saying that every day.

Please be constructive or do something else with your time.

Mealy mouthing wantonly is childish at best and is extraordinarily unattractive.
    Otter Emperor,

I'd like to say I'm sorry you're having a bad day... but it seems I'd be saying that every day.

Please be constructive or do something else with your time.

Mealy mouthing wantonly is childish at best and is extraordinarily unattractive.
    Actually I am having a great day even with you being around.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Yahtzee!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

You do have the capability to ask more of Palm - the voice they listen to is the dollar you spend. I won't argue that Palm's software can be a bit outdated - otherwise there'd be no market for the third party companies trying to fill the gaps.

But as a long time user of Palm, you know this when you plop down the cash for the Treo in the first place. As did I. I just chose what, at the time, was the best solution for the money.

Would I toss this sucker in the trash if say, Apple released a cell phone, with the sophistication of OSX built in? In a heartbeat.

Palm needs to ditch the Palm OS and come up with something new. Windows CE and the venerable old Palm OS have both become exceptionally outdated. We need an OS that's built for an all in one device from the ground up, that doesn't really give a crap whether you're hooking it to a Mac, Windows, or Linux - it just works.

That - will be the one that kicks the other's butts.
    Scott
  15.    #15  
    Try sex Otter... or something else that's unusual for you... just relax...

I'm out.
  16.    #16  
    Stimpy... you got that right.

See you all later.
    Try sex Otter... or something else that's unusual for you... just relax...

I'm out.
    You already said you were leaving. Many times. Please do.

And thanks for the offer...I'll pass though.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

It pains me to lock a thread of such elevated discourse. Oh wait, no it doesn't.