Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the Scala last night because my free Palm Bluetooth set is a POS.

Happy to report that the headset is nice and loud with no need for BTMute.
    No static and great range. The voice quality on both ends is better than the HBH 660 that i returned. It could just be my phone so all you HBH 660 owners don't shoot me, but I think the scala is better. The fit is comfortable and I don't need any gels sticking in my ear. The only thing missing is being able to switch to a callwaiting call, not a deal killer.

In conclusion at a $38 price I'm quite happy.
    Where did you get yours? Most places seem to be on backorder right now.
    Just got my 500 last night, and I can't be more than 2 feet from the phone without significant static. Bummer.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Where did you get yours? Most places seem to be on backorder right now.
    At JR.com http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4014117

I made a mistake on the price in my thread. I had an order pending with ecost.com for $38 and cancelled it for this one which is $10 more but I didn't want to wait.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    Just got my 500 last night, and I can't be more than 2 feet from the phone without significant static. Bummer.
    I have no static at all except when I am home next to my WIFI router. In the other rooms, no static. I am really surprised.
    I got mine several weeks ago and returned it to Cardo because of the cradle issue and excessive static after about 3 feet. I just got my new one from them (with the sky blue light now....was dark blue on the first one) and the static issue is still there. I am about to give up on this headset....
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    I got mine several weeks ago and returned it to Cardo because of the cradle issue and excessive static after about 3 feet. I just got my new one from them (with the sky blue light now....was dark blue on the first one) and the static issue is still there. I am about to give up on this headset....
    My headset is the old one I am assuming with the bright blue light. I really am amazed that I have virtually no static. My Palm Branded Jabra had tons of static. The HBH 660 I had sounded like sh_t on the other end which was what everyone told me. My phone by itself was fine. I also hated the 660's ear hook and even more sticking the gels or slicks in my ear to hold it so I returned it. Maybe the static is based on the individual phone's bluetooth signal strength. I do not know the answer but am happy with the result.
    I'm waiting for 500 to be delivered today or tomorrow. I currently have the Jabra 250 and it's not that bea. There is almost no static when I'm in the car or at home. The volume was ok w/o btmute, with it was more than acceptable. Range wasn't so good- about 5-10 feet and then static would kick in. My biggest qripe is that once I stepped outside that static was horrible-even w/o much wind. Hopefully the 500 will be better....I'll report when I get it and take for a test run.
    Yeah, I really do think I would love the Scala sans the static issue. I don't think people should decide not to buy it just because a few of us have problems. And you're probably right, the headsets will work for some and not others depending on the individuals hardware.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    I was on a call with my scala the other day. I had to run to my office and forgot that the treo was on the kitchen counter. I made it down the stairs and it wasn't until I got into the office that I began to get some static. Some 30 feet from the treo. $43 on ebay, well spent.
  11.    #11  
    Reporting: Day 2, heavy usage, no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad

same here, only worse. I had the static problem. got an RMA. sent in the old one. My new replacement one has worse static and has a problem connecting (more delay) and has a significant volume issue. I now my headset jack stopped working. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I have a Cardo too. It works pretty good. Seems to work best when my T650 is NOT in my pocket. It's pretty clear until I put it in my pocket, than I get a bit of static, which is aggravated by walking around. Range CAN be pretty good. I put the phone on my desk, and walked around my office, and could talk clearly until I got more than 15 feet away. All in all, it's not too shabby considering I only dropped 35 bucks on it. But in reservation, i don't like how much static pops up if I put the phone in my pocket and walk around with it. If I had spent over 50 bucks on the thing, I wouldn't be too happy. I might be saving some cash to try the touted HBH-660, but only if I can find it for cheaper than it's current price!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    same here, only worse. I had the static problem. got an RMA. sent in the old one. My new replacement one has worse static and has a problem connecting (more delay) and has a significant volume issue. I now my headset jack stopped working. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH
    Do you think it's worth sending it back to Cardo AGAIN and getting ANOTHER RMA???? If I was to do this........I would definitely insist that they cover my shipping costs (when I send the unit back).....I didn't do this last time and it seems to me that if they are selling me an inferior product (not that all of the Scalas are, just the ones I get!!!) they should have to cover my costs in returning it to them.

Thoughts?
    My first one had static, especially in my pocket, so they sent me a replacement (with the different color light) which seemed to me to have more static and even less volume, so I am back to my first one (hadn't sent it back yet) and waiting on another replacement. They told me that the human body in the way seems to cause the static, but I also find static when more than a couple feet away.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Can you all clarify the static issue on the Scala 500? I am evaluating one, and only get static when not near to the Treo or if the headset and Treo volume controls are turned up too much. Adjusting them makes the call very clear.

I am waiting for the Easy Rider helmet mounted headset. That should be interesting.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Can you all clarify the static issue on the Scala 500? I am evaluating one, and only get static when not near to the Treo or if the headset and Treo volume controls are turned up too much. Adjusting them makes the call very clear.

I am waiting for the Easy Rider helmet mounted headset. That should be interesting.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    There's a lot of static. This occurs when I get about three feet from the Treo. So, you can imagine how annoying it is keeping the phone three feet from my ear. I pretty much either have to hold it near the Scala (not on top of it!) or place it behind me on the couch, right next to me in my office (on my desk), etc. I bought the thing because I wanted to be able to walk around. Mind you, I don't expect to be able to walk throughout the building whilst talking in the phone in search of a cup of coffee.......I would just like to be able to walk around inside my office.

This being said, a lot of people have been giving this headset rave reviews....which is why I continue to attempt to remedy the situation.

On another note, I paired the Scala with my wife's new Treo 650. It was slightly better with the static issue at greater distances, but not enough for me to think it was just my phone. I really do believe there is a batch of highly effective Scalas out there and another batch of defective ones. As I said in an earlier post, perhaps I will send it back again if they are willing to cover my shipping costs. I'll keep you posted.
    Just got my Scala yesterday and so far so good!!!

Coming from a Jabra 200 I can say that the range is better (about 8-10 feet before getting noticable static), the volume is fine, best of all is the automatic transferring of calls to the headset. Jabra didn't have this function and boy does it make a difference. I tried it outside (city environment) and the sound on my end was fine but on the other end the person said they heard static. I called my voicemail right after that call and it sounded fine to me.....go figure!

I'll report back after a another couple days.
    Fit is good. Size, weight, and comfort are all phenominal. Volume is rarely an issue anymore. All round I am very pleased. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that from my left hip to my right ear I get static! That's where I want to keep it! Ah, well. Perhaps I'll try the new Treo brand headset. It has BT1.2 (yes, I know the 650 doesn't but I remember reading where having the headset at 1.2 can make a difference) and allows you to answer a call waiting call, something I had been trying to "fix" on my Scala. I thought it was operator error.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast