1.    #1  
    I can't believe that I can't find any information relating to this topic regarding the Treo 600.

I have a Treo 600 activated with Sprint and have unlimited Vision. I recently returned from a trip to Canada, where Vision service is unavailable. No problem, I thought, I'll just set it up to dialup as a modem and connect that way (to Budgetdialup.com). No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to work. In fact, when I set it up to call my wife's cell phone (to test it), it didn't even dial out.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I missing something obvious?

cheers,

John
    You are missing PDANet...
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    Enjoy!
    IS R. C., USN (ONI)
  3.    #3  
    I actually downloaded PDAnet. From what I can tell, it is a program to use your Vision internet on your notebook through the sync cable. Very cool.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help me access the internet when I am out of the Vision area, which I would really like to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by biochemgod
    I can't believe that I can't find any information relating to this topic regarding the Treo 600.

I have a Treo 600 activated with Sprint and have unlimited Vision. I recently returned from a trip to Canada, where Vision service is unavailable. No problem, I thought, I'll just set it up to dialup as a modem and connect that way (to Budgetdialup.com). No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to work. In fact, when I set it up to call my wife's cell phone (to test it), it didn't even dial out.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I missing something obvious?

cheers,

John
    I can get mine to dial, but it won't connedt to my ISP apparently because it does not work in "challenge/response" mode (Radius) and/or does not handle PPP.

PDAnet is for using the Treo as a modem for another computer, not for dialup for the Treo itself.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  5.    #5  
    You sound like you're half way there. This "challenge/response" thing could be worked out using a script I imagine. Can you access the site using a modem from a desktop computer?

Could you let me know the settings you're using for your connection? I was using "wireless modem" and the number, without any specific init string.

cheers,

John
  6.    #6  
    It seems I've at least found a workaround for now. I haven't been able to connect to any ISP via a phone number but I can use Sprint's internal dialup service.

FYI, go to Network, new service, set wireless modem, user: qnc, password: qnc, phone: #777

At this point, I'm not sure how this connection is billed.. so I'm not going to use it much until I can confirm.

If anyone out there knows how to use REAL dialup with the TREO 600, let me know!

cheers,

John
  7.    #7  
    Is there anyone out there who uses their Treo with regular Dial up?
    Yes.

Which do you need:

(1) dial-up instructions in general - how-to setup dialup??

(2) PdaNet dial-up instructions - Customize PdaNet to connect to your ISP

One really frustrating thing about using dial-up - I often have to ensure the connection is still alive. If there are no black double-arrows above the signal bars, it means the connection has been lost, even if Pdanet or the Treo does not say so.

Be ready to keep redialing until you get a good connection, and be ready to keep losing your connection.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
  9.    #9  
    Azazello,

Thanks for the link to that other discussion.. I seem to be having a common problem (dialup disabled on my phone or plan). Luckily the #777 thing works if I get desperate.

cheers,

John
  10.    #10  
    Of course, I replied to this thread before I finished reading the other one.. I will try to reset my phone in between Vision and dialup sessions to see if that helps.
  11.    #11  
    A final note on this topic...

RESET YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU CONNECT TO A NEW NETWORK.

That's what it took for me to get it to work. You can use any dialup server this way.

cheers,

John