1.    #1  
    Can I savely delete all my saved/unsaved preferences that do not belong to an application any more (according to a program like PrefEdit)? IS there a way to find out which program generated these entries? Thanks for every comment!
    Warning 1: There is the potential for a program to not operator correctly if you delete a preference that it expects to be there. A well-written program should at least give a reasonable error message, or better yet, remake the preference entries with the default preferences. In general all will loose is your "preferences", thus have to reset things the way you like them or reenter a registration code. But the potential for worse is there.

I could not find a program called "PrefEdit", but I did find "Preference Editor". I am assuming this is what you meant, or at least they work the same way.

The Preference Editor works by looking at the creator ID of all the saved and unsaved preferences and searchs for an application with the same creator ID. A creator ID is a 32-bit or 4-character identifier, which is suppose to uniquely identify an application with it's associated data. It appears to also correctly handle HACKs, DAs and Prefs-panels.

Warning 2: Occasionally programmers make mistakes with the creator IDs. Example: The application is marked with pCHE but its preferences are marked with PChe. Thus the Preference Editor may list something as not having an owner when it does. NOTE: This mistaken creator ID might also be done on purpose for various reasons.

After saying this, if you go to Palm's Creator ID Database page, you can search for those creator IDs that the Preference Editor says are not used. You might find that
    • The ID is registered for a program you use. (Do not delete.)
    • The ID is registered for a program that you no longer use. (Safe to delete.)
    • The ID is not registered, but a similar one is which you use. (Do not delete.)
    • The ID is not registered, but a similar one is which you no longer use. (Safe to delete.)
    • The ID is registered, but gives no information about it. (Unknown if safe to delete or not).
    • The ID is not registered. (Unknown if safe to delete or not).